Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apivia's Charlie Dalin Nears The End, A Dominating Performance!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Apivia's Charlie Dalin Nears The End, A Dominating Performance!

Last straight line for Charlie Dalin

While Charlie Dalin, the leader of the 3rd edition of the Guyader Bermuda 1000 Race, is now less than 100 miles from the finish, his ETA is still very imprecise since it is between 9 p.m. and midnight on Thursday. For the time being, the skipper of Apivia continues to maintain average speeds above 14 knots by knitting along the edge of the ridge which blocks the route of the fleet then the passage of the Gallimard waypoint, while playing the best with the small variations in the wind. Barring damage, nothing should, in principle, deprive him of victory. A victory that he should sign with nearly fifteen hours ahead of his runner-up, Jeremie Beyou (Charal) and more than 24 hours over the rest of the peloton!

“I'm happy to have found some south-westerly wind. This flow propels me quietly towards Brittany. Not quite towards Brest, but not far. It's nice, in any case, to move east! commented Charlie Dalin, who is flying to victory in this Guyader Bermuda 1000 Race. And for good reason, in the lead since the very first miles of the race, the skipper of Apivia has slowly but surely widened his lead to bring it to almost 130 miles. A quite exceptional gap over a race of 1,200 miles! And again, according to the latest routings, around fifteen hours should finally separate him from his closest pursuer, while we were still talking about a 24-hour gap this morning. " Jeremie Beyou managed to get out of the calm zone from the north. He should complete the course tomorrow afternoon ,” explained Christian Dumard, the event's weather consultant. This obviously sounds like very good news for the skipper of Charal who will therefore, except for a glitch, avoid a regrouping a few cables from the finish with the peloton located on the opposite side of the race zone, close to the Spanish coast. An option which is, for the time being, proving to be beneficial for the entire fleet, which is maintaining double-digit speeds this Thursday, after a delicate night, however, in the light airs. " From a progression point of view, it was a frustrating night. It was complicated to move the boat forward. After passing the Gallimard waypoint, I thought we were going to find some wind but the calm lasted forever, until sunrise,” confirmed S?bastien Marsset (Cap Agir Ensemble #SponsorsBienvenus).

https://www.guyaderbermudes1000race....udes-1000-race

Vigilance setting off Spain

He and all of his adversaries who turned south yesterday are currently benefiting from a north-easterly wind blowing at around fifteen knots. All are progressing upwind towards La Coru?a and all have to be vigilant, on the one hand because the traffic is heavy around the Cape Finisterre DST, and on the other hand because the 24F flotilla based at Lann Bihou? located two areas of wood plank concentration that could prove hazardous to boat appendages. " It 's always a complicated place for navigation, especially as when approaching the coast, you also risk encountering fishermen who don't all turn on their AIS", commented Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian Group) who, like the others, will continue his route in the East before seeing the wind shift to the North and thus begin a long tacking to Brest. " There will be no options in the option ," said Hubert Lemonnier, Deputy Race Director.

Nicolas Lunven and his daggerboard boat on the podium?

Playing well with the small oscillations of the wind and optimizing your choice of sails will certainly be the keys to performance. “ The wind continues to rise gradually and turn to the right. We should tack in the night around the Spanish point, then go up towards the Brittany point, still close-hauled, on starboard tack. It's not the most fun look, but it's fun nonetheless. The weather is nice, it's not cold, the nights are great and I'm pretty happy with my race so far. Hope it lasts ! said Nicolas Lunven (Banque Populaire) who is currently in 4th position with his daggerboard boat, ten miles behind Louis Burton (Bureau Vallee) and three miles ahead of Isabelle Joschke (Team MACSF). It goes without saying that between these three, the fight has only just begun. At stake, third place on the podium. “ I didn't see myself as much in the match with all these beautiful boats around me, and especially all these maneuvers to be chained. It reminds me of the Solitaire du Figaro, this course and this rhythm! ?, indicated the Franco-German sailor who has certainly not said her last word, especially as she knows, behind, things are jostling at the gate!

Words from the edge 05/12
    Diverse fortunes on board for Sebastien Marsset, Antoine Cornic, Nicolas Lunven, Giancarlo Pedote and Denis Van Weynbergh. Everyone looks back on their progress - not always easy - over the past few hours...

S?bastien Marsset (Cap Agir Ensemble #SponsorsBienvenus): “It lasted forever”

“The night started yesterday with a magnificent sunset approaching the Gallimard waypoint. This crossing point was complicated to circumvent: it was placed exactly in a windless area, with a lot of sea (2.50 meters of swell). It was complicated to move the boat forward. Once we were able to head southeast with a jibe and were pushed by the swell, we were fine. I passed the waypoint being side by side with Alan Roura (Hublot). Then, I thought we were going to find some wind but it lasted forever, until sunrise. It finally settled down to 10 knots. From a progression point of view, it was a frustrating night. On the other hand, it was a night to watch the sky between the sunset and the stars partially hidden by the clouds. This morning, I have the impression that the weather is going to be beautiful! Now, heading to Spain. Everything is fine on board but I haven't looked at the rankings yet. ?

Antoine Cornic (EBAC Literie): "The impression of being on a Mini 6.50"

“I took this depression calmly to validate my new standing rigging with two reefs - J3. It was fine until my end of J2 broke in 35 knots of wind… It's not terrible but it tests the rig. Inevitably, it's less funny when there are slaps at 48 knots coming out of the front. Inside, I couldn't do anything but it passed. On the other hand, RAS on board. I just sent the code 0 80 miles from the Gallimard waypoint. I don't know where the others are – IT and I make two – so I almost feel like I'm on a Mini 6.50, with the emails added. The sun is back, it feels good. The wind will fall again and again (what a beautiful song by Francis Cabrel). In short, everything is fine on Ebac Literie. ?

“Here we are upwind, heading for Spain. I just imagine the face of a neophyte: he must say to himself that it's really stupid as a sport. Passing through Spain to go to Brest… I listened to live music by Pink Floyd for the first time. It wasn't bad . I'm starting to move on to another stage: I don't know what day it is anymore, or what time it is... I only live for the boat and me. I'm happy to be here and to celebrate, I'm going to make myself a little brandade of cod. ?

Denis Van Weynbergh (Biarritz Laboratories): “The two sides of the same coin”

“The night from Tuesday to Wednesday was nightmarish. The strong wind whistling in the rigging caused the sails to flap. There was rain, a sea crossing, a dark night to lose its Latin ... And all seasoned by a dog seasickness during the maneuvers which nailed me to the bunk for 4 hours, once Waterloo finished ! This Wednesday evening, it is calm. There is no noise, just the trickle of water on the hull. The boat is moving slowly, probably too much. A half-moon illuminates the sea as if to show the way and a certain zenitude emanates from this atmosphere. These two nights are two sides of the same coin. Sometimes we favor the fact of navigating on the edge of the currency. Everything then depends on its metal, its thickness and the engravings present on it…”

Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian Group):

“After rounding the Gallimard waypoint, we found ourselves with a ridge on our backs, with, as a result, a very, very light wind. Last night it was very weak. However, I made quite a bit of progress with my Code 0. In the end, it was a nice navigation and I even rested a little. I really needed it because I pulled the guy a lot from the start without having had much practice at sea before the race since we launched late. There, the wind begins to return from the northeast. It's blowing between 12 and 13 knots and it should strengthen along Spain. The idea is to pick up the shift in the wind at the tip of Cape Finisterre. We're going to have to be careful because we're going to pass through a complicated area for navigation for two reasons. Firstly, because we will have to negotiate the DTS (traffic separation scheme) and, on the other hand, because when approaching the coast, we will encounter fishermen who do not switch on all their AIS. ?

Isabelle Joschke MACSF:

“Aboard MACSF, everything is fine. I rested this night because the sequence between crossing the front and the descent to the Gallimard waypoint was wet and tiring. I rediscovered the fine averages you can get with this boat, but I also rediscovered the "joys" of life on board in these circumstances, where everything becomes laborious and dangerous. I was treated to a bowl in a sudden braking which served as an alert. On board, you are only entitled to one free hand, the other must always be firmly attached. I'm super happy with my race, I didn't see myself in the game so much with all these beautiful boats around me, and above all all these maneuvers to follow. It reminds me of the Solitaire du Figaro, this course and this pace, but everything is so much more physical in IMOCA. Now, it's back upwind and it's going to take a little longer! ?

Nicolas Lunven (Banque Populaire): "Rather satisfied with my race so far"

“I'm going to go back a bit: the night from Tuesday to Wednesday was marked by the passage of a small secondary depression and its cold front. Although small, we still picked up 35-40 knots on the other side of the front. Once behind this front, we descended at high speed reaching towards the Gallimard waypoint. At first, the wind was strong, then it eased slowly, so we had to maneuver to get some canvas back. The final approach to the virtual mark was made in downright light wind. Suffice to say that in this, we are not talking about rest!

Once past the waypoint, we headed northeast. At first, it wasn't easy with the light wind and residual sea. It was squirming all over the place and it wasn't moving very quickly...
    After a bit of effort (or perhaps too much arm-lowering...), I took the opportunity to go and rest. And I really enjoyed it! The wind being a little better established in the second part of the night, things moved forward on their own. Happiness ! All with a superb night, the moon the stars... only the sirens were missing!

Since this Thursday morning, the wind has continued to rise gradually and turn to the right. We should turn in the night around the Spanish point and then go up towards Brest, still close-hauled, on starboard tack. Even if the upwind is not the most fun pace, I still have a lot of fun: the weather is nice, it's not cold, the nights are superb and I'm quite satisfied with my race so far. , Hope it lasts ! I have to be careful not to run out of chocolate otherwise I risk arriving in a very bad mood! ?

The longest day

To face a vast zone of soft water of nearly 800 miles, the skippers try to find all the subterfuges and to spare their nerves. The leader Charlie Dalin (APIVIA) - who is 150 miles from the finish - should nevertheless find some air at the latitude of Ouessant. At the same time, the majority of the fleet is busy skirting the Spanish coast.

Sailors all retain a part of mystery, no matter how long they spend sailing offshore. Even during a 1,200 mile race, questions abound, on land, to understand the range of emotions that must resurface at every moment, there, on board, to battle against everything. The Guyader Bermudes 1000 Race is no exception in the field. The ascent to Brest, which the majority of the fleet had begun, ran into a long mole zone of around 800 miles (1,200 km). In short, the equivalent of a Brest-Marseille trip without petrol!

We must therefore compete in ingenuity and show great patience. And this therefore concerns the entire fleet, including the leader, Charlie Dalin. Throughout the night, the skipper of APIVIA made progress at the start of the morning with 10 to 11 knots of wind. “He managed to keep a bit of speed,” said Hubert Lemonnier in race direction. And then it will touch air at the latitude of Ouessant. Charlie is now 150 miles direct from Brest and his arrival is still expected between "this Thursday evening at 8 p.m. and tonight between 3 and 4 a.m.".

“The more we are behind, the more expensive we will be”

Behind, J?r?mie Beyou clocks in at 118 miles, the biggest gap between 1st and 2nd in the race. On board Charal, he nevertheless retained a northern routing, identical to that of Charlie. For its part, the rest of the fleet has opted to head east and follow the Spanish coast to avoid the famous soft zone. “The goal is to get away from the soft zone as quickly as possible, we are going to tack along Spain, corroborates Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian Group). It's going to be hard, hard, hard and the more we are behind, the more expensive we are going to be. ?

Hubert Lemonnier recognizes that the task is particularly exhausting: “there are going to be a lot of sail changes, it will be long! “And in addition to adapting to the conditions, it will be necessary to ensure the presence of wood which floats on the surface and which can damage the boats.

Denis Van Weynbergh's "Waterloo"

The pursuer fleet can be divided into three distinct groups. First there are the most advanced, the trio Louis Burton (Bureau Vall?e, 3rd), Isabelle Joschke (MACSF, 4th) and Nicolas Lunven (Banque Populaire, 5th) who "are progressing at 10, 11 knots" (dixit Hubert) this early morning. Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian Group, 6th) is leading another group, up to ?ric Bellion (Commeunseulhomme, 11th) who is 50 miles further south.

Finally, the fleet is stretching like never before: nearly 430 miles now separate the leader from the last Denis Van Weynbergh (Laboratoires de Biarritz). The Belgian has suffered in recent hours. He also evokes a “nightmarish night” between Tuesday and Wednesday, a “Waterloo” where he had to resist with “a dog seasickness during the maneuvers”. Last night, Denis would have had problems furling or unfurling the sail, but he was able to continue his march forward. Like him, two other skippers are preparing to cross the Gallimard 'way point': Manuel Cousin (Group S?tin, 19th) and Antoine Cornic (EBAC Literie, 20th).

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• The Vendee Season Begins With The Vendee Artique
      by Photoboy

Alain Leboeuf, President of SAEM Vendee and of the Department of Vendee has just presented the very rich sports line-up of the 2nd edition of the Vendee Arctic – Les Sables d'Olonne, more than 2 years from the 10th edition of the Vendee Globe. The sporting and media successes of the 2020-2021 edition stimulated project leaders and their sponsors, so much so that the transition phase was particularly short. The Arctic Vend?e being the first of the five qualifying races*...
      05-20-2022, 03:17 PM
    • The 4th Entry To The 2022-2023 Ocean Race IS:
      by Photoboy
      SIZE=18px]GUYOT environnement - Team Europe confirmed as fourth IMOCA entry for The Ocean Race

The new campaign builds on a winning French-German collaboration from The Ocean Race Europe[/SIZE]

05-20-2022, 01:07 PM
    • Francois's European Tour
      by Photoboy

Trimaran SVR-Lazartigue, with its skipper Francois Gabart on board left the port of Concarneau to reach the Mediterranean as part of a tour with the employees of the KRESK group!

The KRESK group,is the group that owns the brands sponsors of the trimaran SVR-LAZARTIGUE.

The opportunity through these stops in 5 countries to discover the "flying boat" but also to remind the group's commitment to the protection of the Ocean by highlighting all
      05-20-2022, 10:46 AM
    • United As One
      by Photoboy

Racing in light conditions can often be boring and frustrating but for the penultimate day of the first ever IMA Maxi European Championship it was anything but – for spectators at least - with significant shifts, occasional shut-downs on a coastal course on a WSW-ENE axis deep into the Bay of Naples to the north of the Sorrentine peninsula.

After a delay ashore and then on the water, the race for the 21 entries got underway just before 1500 CEST with a short upwind
      05-20-2022, 09:23 AM
    • The Finn Leads At The 2022 Finn Gold Cup
      by Photoboy

After three very different races, Finland’s Oskari Muhonen has taken the lead at the 2022 Finn Gold Cup at Fraglia Vela Malcesine on Lake Garda, Italy. He won two more races to take a three point lead from Pieter-Jan Postma, from The Netherlands. Austria’s Florian Raudaschl won the second race and moves up to third overall. Four races remain.

After losing the first day with no wind, the event is back on schedule. But still the conditions defy the local
      05-19-2022, 02:19 PM
    • Lyra Making Waves At IMA Maxi Europeans
      by Photoboy

Scheduled for day two of the IMA Maxi Europeans’ inshore/coastal racing were two windward-leewards. After a delay out on the Bay of Naples, the wind finally built to 8-12 knots from the west. After one aborted start due to a wind shift and another for a general recall, racing for the 21 maxis eventually got underway at 1515 CEST.

All images copyright Studio Borlenghi IMA

05-19-2022, 11:13 AM
    Working...
    X