No announcement yet.

Winch Cleaning Project Goes All Wrong

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Winch Cleaning Project Goes All Wrong

“Suddenly, the tragedy”: the Mini 6.50 goes up in smoke before his eyes

PHOTOS AND TESTIMONIALS – Quentin Mocudet, skipper of Mini 6.50 number 1015 saw his boat catch fire on the reservoir in La Turballe. The unfortunate sailor recounts the mishap. The origin of the flames may be in the fumes of the petrol F used to clean the winches

“Since the age of 8 I have been practicing competitive sailing in Optimist with the participation in various championships and regattas. Then the Laser 4.7 and the Radial with participation in a World Championship and a European Championship. Offshore racing has always made me dream, the story of ocean sailors in the most important regattas… I've decided that's what I want to do!”

This Mini Transat project begins in October 2020 with the acquisition of a Pogo 2, an older generation production boat but perfect for practicing and learning offshore racing on your own. A 2021 season full of lessons took place with great battles against older generation boats. My competitive soul wanted to change gears, change boats in order to win regattas. Thanks to the help of my parents, the La Turballe center and my first partners, I changed boats to Maxi 6.50 number 1015. Latest generation high-performance production boat. No more excuses… Result: 7 races in the top 10 out of 7, three podiums and a victory despite a dislocated shoulder at the Mini en Mai.

From my shoulder dislocation, the recovery has been very long. I was eager to get back to my best level to fight next season, to take revenge on Mini En Mai. After my shoulder surgery in early October, I felt ready to get back to training.

THE SOURCE OF THE FIRE: PETROL VAPORS – Saturday 26 November I was preparing the final touches to my boat before resuming training: bricolage, gluing to the hull, cleaning the winches with petrol F. When suddenly tragedy strikes. A piece of paper towel catches fire. I try to choke him but in a few seconds the F petrol vapors ignite. The cockpit is engulfed in flames, I just have time to get off the boat.

Luckily I'm not injured and I come out with two small burns on my ankles. It all happened so fast, I don't even know how it happened. When I got off the boat, I knew we couldn't stop this fire.

Find a new boat as soon as possible for next season– This is another blow in a project strewn with pitfalls. We have to get back up as soon as possible to get back to the 2023 season and not forget the main objective: the Mini Transat. Today with the loss of the boat, I don't know if it's still possible, I qualified for the Mini Transat 2023 with this boat number 1015 which has just been completely destroyed by flames. The qualification is made for the boat/skipper pair. I haven't finalized my budget for next season yet. I am supported by several small partners in my region, but I am looking for a main partner to share my story and let them experience the Mini Transat adventure. I will not give up on my goal of participating in Mini Transat. I will recover as soon as possible! Thanks to all the people who support me in this ordeal,

https://www.saily.it/2022/12/07/alli...i-suoi-occhi/?
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Dramatic Rescue Results In Arrest
      by Photoboy
      Man who allegedly left a dead fish at the 'Goonies' house rescued from rough seas near stolen yacht

The man was taken into custody late Friday at a warming center near Astoria, Oregon, police said.

Feb. 3, 2023, 11:56 PM PST
      By Dennis Romero

Man who allegedly left dead fish at 'Goonies' house rescued from rough seas near stolen yacht (nbcnews.com)

Unknowing rescuers plucked a man accused of
      Today, 09:46 AM
    • A Matter Of Opinion
      by Photoboy

Credit to GUYOT environnement - Team Europe who have regained the lead on the race tracker as well as their position as the most southerly boat in the fleet. In a race south, that's a good thing.... or is it?

Two of the three boats positioned about 120 miles to the west - Team Holcim-PRB and 11th Hour Racing - have just (as at 1200 UTC) put in a gybe to the west, consolidating position and setting up for a weather transition...
      Yesterday, 10:24 AM
    • Then There Were 4 : Attrition Leaves Just 1/4 Of Fleet Remaining
      by Photoboy
      Kirsten Neuschufer takes lead in Gruelling Golden Globe

Picture Above: Kirsten Neuschufer (39) / South Africa / onboard her Cape George 36 – ” MINNEHAHA”. Credit: Kirsten Neusch?fer / GGR2022

https://goldengloberace.com/live-tracker/

Simon Curwen (GBR) HOWDENS, declares Chichester Class unable to repair his Hydrovane and sailing to Chile for repairs.
      Kirsten Neuschufer (ZAF) MINNEHAHA now...
      02-02-2023, 12:31 PM
    • Two Boat Testing Begins In Earnest In Auckland
      by Photoboy
      EMIRATES TEAM NEW ZEALAND BEGIN TWO BOAT TESTING

Auckland - 2nd February 2023

America’s Cup Defender Emirates Team New Zealand began its two boat testing programme on Auckland’s Waitemata Harbour today in ideal 12- 15 knots NE winds. It was the first opportunity the team has had to sail in the past week in the wake of the unprecedented weather event in the city over the Auckland Anniversary weekend.

Onboard the AC40’s for the 3.5
      02-02-2023, 10:24 AM
    • Wright Strikes Gold In Coconut Grove
      by Photoboy
      Ed Wright secures second Finn Gold Cup after no racing on final day in Miami

Britain’s Ed Wright has won the Finn Gold Cup in Miami, USA, after no racing was possible on the final day on Biscayne Bay. Domonkos Nemeth, from Hungary, went one better than 2022 and took the silver while European Champion, Miguel Fernandez Vasco, from Spain took the bronze.

The fleet was sent out an hour early to try to make the best of the wind conditions, but the breeze was already...
      02-01-2023, 01:45 PM
    • Blustery Conditions Yield To Calm Waters And Controversy
      by Photoboy
      18ft Skiffs Australian Championship, Races 5 & 6
      Race Sponsor: Birkenhead Point Marina

The Finport Finance team of Keagan York, Angus Williams and Phil Marshall became the 2022-23 Australian 18ft Skiff champion after a controversial day when no racing was completed on Sydney Harbour today.

When racing was abandoned today, the championship then reverted to a four-race regatta and, under the sailing instructions of the championship, each team's
      02-01-2023, 11:43 AM
    Working...
    X