No announcement yet.

Disaster Narrowly Averted By Good Communication And Proper Planning


  • Disaster Narrowly Averted By Good Communication And Proper Planning

    So this happened:

    On December 1st I departed on a delivery from Woods Hole, MA to Puerto Rico, with the owner Laura Shulman and crew Tomasz Dvorak. We left in a NW wind, 25-35 knots with only a staysail up and sailed conservatively with wind aft of beam, towards the Gulf stream. As we approached the wind became lighter and we hosted the mainsail, until ultimately, we were motor sailing safely across the GS.

    We exited the GS in light upwind conditions which increased and swung aft through the evening. In the early AM hours of 4th we were close reaching at 8-10 knots with a staysail and double reefed mainsail, wind gusting to 30, but very manageable. I was awakened at around 4am by something, and came on deck to see what was happening. Boat speed had fallen to nearly zero, and a quick look to leeward showed the ama underwater with only the deck visible. It was obvious that it had a big hole from a collision, since Laura noted our abrupt stop, and it filling completely with water.

    Buddy began to slowly capsize over the next four hours. During that period, we doused all sails, put on life jackets and began untying the rigid inflatable we had lashed to the port trampoline. Our attempts to motor Buddy under her own power were useless as we could only make 1 knot at full throttle, and we had no steerage with the weight/drag of all that water on the port side. During this time we were also in communication with the J/133 Vamoose, who was roughly 10 miles upwind, to our west.

    They were on standby waiting for our decision. After it was clear that we couldn't rescue the boat under its own power we decided to abandon ship and told Vamoose that we would like a rescue. We also turned off all electronics except for navigation lights and 12V outlets to keep the Iridium Go tracking device on, updating its position on the Predict Wind app, in hopes of arranging a tow from shore.

    Roughly two hours into the event, the port ama started to fall apart, with about 8’ of it tearing away between the beams. She began listing even more to port. We packed our small dry bags with passports, boat papers, some personal gear and waited on deck with our ditch bag, handheld VHF and EPIRB, ready to board the dinghy.

    By daylight Vamoose appeared on the horizon. A little while later they were abeam of us, striking all of their sails. At this point Buddy began listing even more and it was clear that we had to get off the boat as soon as possible. Vamoose motored well to leeward and let us know by vhf that they were ready for us.

    Tomasz climbed in first and received all of our gear, then Laura, then myself with the knife ready to cut the painter. Once the painter was cut, it took longer than expected for us to drift away from Buddy, the two drifting back and forth as if attached by bungee cord, probably a minute or two, but that’s not how it felt at the time. Eventually we broke away and drifted to a safe enough distance to board Vamoose.

    Surprisingly, once drifting away, the 10' dinghy with three adults, 25-30 knots of wind and 10' waves, felt more secure than being on Buddy. Next thing we know the port bow of Vamoose was upon us and we boarded safely aft with all of our gear. The dinghy was left to drift away with Buddy. In communication with observers on land we were told that Buddy's tracker stopped transmission about an hour after we abandoned her, meaning she probably capsized. As far as near tragedies go, it couldn't have gone more smoothly. 29 hours later, borrowed clothes and new friends, we were safely in Bermuda having dinner at the White Horse Inn.

    In discussions with the designer/builder, John Patterson, he confirmed that there was a foam filled compartment from the forward beam to the bow and another from the aft beam to the stern of each ama. This means that the forward compartment was breached into the central compartment of the ama, allowing a lot of water into it at once.

    We never saw anything floating nearby as it was still dark and too dangerous to investigate underwater and to leeward. We felt it was wise to stay put and be prepared to board the dinghy which was ready with a single painter to be released. A lot went through my head at the time for getting Buddy to port on her own bottom. I considered cutting the rigging away to reduce weight and windage aloft, but there’s a lot of danger in doing that with steel rigging on the windward ama.

    Getting out there for the operation would have been dangerous (Buddy’s trampoline only goes half way across to the ama for launching and retrieving the dinghy). The other idea was to partially flood the windward ama to counter the weight of the breached one, but that too would be very risky and something about adding more water at that time made me very uncomfortable. Another idea was to cut the port ama off and go proa, but there was no way to do that with what we had on board, as it would have required sawing away underwater if we wanted to keep the mast up. Still too dangerous. These were fleeting ideas though, and the number 1 priority was getting off safely, which we achieved. Once we heard that the tracker stopped transmitting, I don’t think any of us had regrets about our decision to abandon Buddy, and live to sail another day. She was a beautiful trimaran though.

    The technologies that made this rescue possible need to be noted here. Without them, we would have had to be rescued by the Coast Guard, in whatever capacity they chose, as opposed to sailing into Bermuda under spinnaker with some of our possessions and all of our bodies intact.

    At the helm station we had a tablet in a waterproof case. Using Navionics on the tablet, it showed Vamoose’s position on AIS. The AIS transmission allowed them to sail directly to our position, not wasting a minute, and in light of the likely capsize, all those minutes counted. Without these technologies working so well, this could have been a much more complicated and potentially tragic story. If you ever wondered if they were worth getting for your next offshore passage, the answer is a resounding YES!

    Many thanks to Laura and Tomasz for remaining calm and working together as a team during this crisis situation, and a thousand thank you’s to Geoff Manchester, William Dresser, Chris Lash and Tim McKenna for rescuing us on board their vessel Vamoose.
    Below is a picture I look from the dinghy as we drifted away.
    -Ryan Finn
      Posting comments is disabled.

    Latest Articles


    • Fast And Furious In The Aegean 600
      by Photoboy

      Spectacular 15-25 knot conditions today helped get this year’s fleet of the AEGEAN 600 off to a fast and furious start to their 605-mile tour of the beautiful Aegean islands. These perfect conditions in this 4th edition of the race organized by the Hellenic Ocean Racing Club (HORC) are suitable to threaten course records in both the Monohull and Multihull divisions.

      First off the start were five multihulls being scored under the MOCRA handicap system, including
      07-08-2024, 03:05 PM
    • Third Time Proves To Be The Charm For Team Malolo
      by Photoboy

      June 18, 2024
      The world of media coverage needs things simple. Life is complicated. Depending on how you tilt your head, today’s top story was both. After somewhere between five days and nine years of hard-fought effort, Team Malolo crossed the line and rang in their rightful place in the annals of R2AK.

      It would be easy to chalk up Team Malolo’s early afternoon
      06-19-2024, 11:50 AM
    • A Wet And Wild Ride Around The Isle Of Wight
      by Photoboy

      A wet and wild edition of Round the Island Race
      Author: Jo Bowden Date: 13:22 Sunday 16 Jun 2024

      It was certainly a race to remember with crews battling the heavy conditions, especially around the Needles and the reach to St Catherine’s Point.

      Race Director, Dave Atkinson said: “This race was a challenge for both the competitors and the Race Team at the Island Sailing Club, with the safety and well-being of the crews being the main priority.
      06-18-2024, 12:19 PM
    • A Dramatic Finish At The Annual Regatta
      by Photoboy

      Vesper Hangs Tough to Claim Overall ORC Win in 170th Annual Regatta
      Newport, R.I. — On a light-air, four-race day, the final standings in a top-flight competitive fleet are as likely to come down to the mistakes you avoid as the things you do right. That was the case in ORC B at the 170th Annual Regatta. David Team’s Vesper squad fought all day with rival Fox, skippered by Victor Wild, doing most everything as right as can be expected on a very challenging day.

      06-17-2024, 11:29 AM
    • Dalin Takes Line Honors
      by Photoboy
      6/9/24 RACE

      Jean-Louis Carli / Alea

      After leading the 28 boat IMOCA fleet since last Monday morning, and today holding a margin of over 300 miles over second place, French skipper Charlie Dalin tonight completed an emphatic victory on the 3200 nautical miles New York Vendee Les Sables d’Olonne solo race across the North Atlantic.

      06-14-2024, 09:53 AM
    • Consistency Pays Dividends In Newport
      by Photoboy

      After winning the second race today Quantum Racing powered by American Magic have now taking three winning guns from four starts at the XS 52 SUPER SERIES Newport Trophy to lead by eight points ahead of the Thai flagged Team Vayu.

      Sticking to their key principles of keeping everything as simple as possible, sailing low risk and using their excellent boatspeed the New York Yacht Club team were fourth in the first race which was
      06-13-2024, 11:25 AM