No announcement yet.

Updates From SHTP June 28th

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Updates From SHTP June 28th

UPDATES June 28th
    The fleet have all enjoyed decent breeze thus far and it looks to get even windier over the next few days.
    24 hour results leaders top 5:
    Suchfast with 187nm
    Elmach 182.5
    Perplexity 178.1
    Green Buffalo 177.5
    Jamani 176.7

Incasaw and Hula are diving south hoping to tap into tradewinds and leverage the steady breeze and following seas 1st

NOTES FROME BOATS

From Christophe Delange

D1 ELMACH : close call with a buoy on the start (there is a picture) and a whale indulging me with the smell of her breath. Happy with my position in the pack

D1 ELMACH : Cold, 20 to 25 Kts, waves cross beam. A sense of deja vue with the recent crossing from BC, at least I knew where to find the tuque

[Editing provided here: According to the Canadian Encyclopedia, "In Canada a tuque (sometimes spelled toque or touque) refers to a warm knitted cap, traditionally made of wool and usually worn in winter."] Latitude provided a billed cap, as it has done for years. A prescient gift by the Latitude marketing department, since they will all be wearing the branded sunhat by the time they pose for their arrival photos.

Tuesday 6/27/2023

Daily report from aboard Reverie

Winds steady all day in 12-18 kts range, backing from NNW in the morning to N in the evening. Seas calmer, much more comfortable ride, still pretty fast, averaging 7-7.5 kts. Have been following Solstice, who is about 10 nm ahead, in VHF contact. His AIS receiver is not working, while I have non-functioning AIS transponder. So between the two of us we have a fully functional AIS system This was useful as there were a couple of close crossings (within a few nm) with tankers going SE towards the Panama Canal.

Green Buffalo POL

June 27th
    Day 2

Still beam reaching but in a much easier 10k-16k of wind... gave me the chance to flake and brick the Forums that has been on deck since yesterday. Bit of an ordeal as the Forums is maybe 50 pounds dry but 100 pounds wet (want to get the deck clear for possible spinnaker launch tomorrow and dropping the jib top on deck). AWA 76-100 degrees same as yesterday. All entrants are now far enough away I can properly set my AIS alarms without the worry of frequent false alarms.

The solar panels (280W)run the boat maybe 6 hours a day (albeit its still a bit overcast with a bit of sun hear and there)... the other 18 hours means running the engine to keep the batteries charged... and I have the "large" autopilot ram which is a real power hog... so running the engine 3 times a day.

Ate some more but not much... swiss cheese and ramen... why so little when I feel just great?... mostly about the hassle of preparing food when at an angle with an occasional "large surprise bump" from the thrice an hour large wave from the north. Tomorrow comes "real food"... will it be Mac and Cheese or Tortellini with marinara sauce?

Did I mention how much I have been sleeping/napping? Beam reaching there isn't much to do. Check the sail trim and maybe tweak the autopilot a degree or two once every hour or so. I probably slept 10 hours in the last 24.

The weather folks cannot make up their mind on where and when the High in front of us is going to head northwest. Yesterday the forecast had me head a bit lower... this morning a bit higher... what will I see this evening?

Four years ago my wife Mary bought me a book for my 60th birthday titled "Sixty" - which I have now taken up reading (the writer is a literary sort so a lot of soul searching about what one has done with one's life). Given I am retiring next year... an interesting read.

Cheers,
    Jim Q

Christophe Desage
    9:34 AM (4 minutes ago)

D2 ELMACH: 14C in the cabin, tuque on, that old sleeping bag shows up unexpected ... from Tibet to the Pacific Ocean, who would have guessed ?

Random Numbers:

Jamani DTF: 1,630nm Last 24 hours 176.7nm @7.4 Knots

Solstice DTF 1,617nm Last 24 hours 173.7nm @7.2 knots

Hula DTF 1,743 Last 24hour 159.9nm @6.6knots

EOS DTF 1,765 Last 24 hours 123nm @ 5.1 knots

Elmach DTF 1,624 Last 24 hour 182.5 @7.6 knots
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• July 18th Pac Cup Updates
      by Photoboy
      Updates From The Boats!...
      07-18-2024, 11:16 AM
    • Fast And Furious In The Aegean 600
      by Photoboy

Spectacular 15-25 knot conditions today helped get this year’s fleet of the AEGEAN 600 off to a fast and furious start to their 605-mile tour of the beautiful Aegean islands. These perfect conditions in this 4th edition of the race organized by the Hellenic Ocean Racing Club (HORC) are suitable to threaten course records in both the Monohull and Multihull divisions.

First off the start were five multihulls being scored under the MOCRA handicap system, including
      07-08-2024, 03:05 PM
    • Third Time Proves To Be The Charm For Team Malolo
      by Photoboy
      STAGE 2, DAY 6: THIRD TIME’S A CHARM FOR AN OVERNIGHT SUCCESS 9 YEARS IN THE MAKING.

June 18, 2024
      The world of media coverage needs things simple. Life is complicated. Depending on how you tilt your head, today’s top story was both. After somewhere between five days and nine years of hard-fought effort, Team Malolo crossed the line and rang in their rightful place in the annals of R2AK.

It would be easy to chalk up Team Malolo’s early afternoon
      06-19-2024, 11:50 AM
    • A Wet And Wild Ride Around The Isle Of Wight
      by Photoboy

A wet and wild edition of Round the Island Race
      Author: Jo Bowden Date: 13:22 Sunday 16 Jun 2024

It was certainly a race to remember with crews battling the heavy conditions, especially around the Needles and the reach to St Catherine’s Point.

Race Director, Dave Atkinson said: “This race was a challenge for both the competitors and the Race Team at the Island Sailing Club, with the safety and well-being of the crews being the main priority.
      06-18-2024, 12:19 PM
    • A Dramatic Finish At The Annual Regatta
      by Photoboy

Vesper Hangs Tough to Claim Overall ORC Win in 170th Annual Regatta
      Newport, R.I. — On a light-air, four-race day, the final standings in a top-flight competitive fleet are as likely to come down to the mistakes you avoid as the things you do right. That was the case in ORC B at the 170th Annual Regatta. David Team’s Vesper squad fought all day with rival Fox, skippered by Victor Wild, doing most everything as right as can be expected on a very challenging day.

06-17-2024, 11:29 AM
    • Dalin Takes Line Honors
      by Photoboy
      FRENCH SKIPPER CHARLIE DALIN (MACIF SANTE PREVOYANCE) WINS THE NEW YORK VENDEE
      6/9/24 RACE

Jean-Louis Carli / Alea

After leading the 28 boat IMOCA fleet since last Monday morning, and today holding a margin of over 300 miles over second place, French skipper Charlie Dalin tonight completed an emphatic victory on the 3200 nautical miles New York Vendee Les Sables d’Olonne solo race across the North Atlantic.

HIS RACE IN
      06-14-2024, 09:53 AM
    Working...
    X