Thursday Afternoon Updates SHTP

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Thursday Afternoon Updates SHTP

Notes From Boats Day 4

Christophe Desage (via inReach)
    End of D4 - ELMACH: Enfin du soleil ! Shorts, a bit of Gennaker, still catching-up on some sleep. Sea state much easier with .5 to 1m waves.

Green Buffalo

The wind swung aft at 5am early this morning... AWA went from 70-90 to 100-120 degrees... 14k-16k... spinnaker weather! Watched the wind direction oscillate a bit over a few hours while prepping for the hoist. Getting pole setup. 3/4 oz AP on deck and hooked up to sheets, guys and halyard. Double checking everything to insure a clean "first hoist" (nothing worse then making a mess of the first hoist :-) ). So at 730am up it went. Clean and easy. Had plenty of yarn on the chute including frogs legs so it was all the way up before it opened. Then hustling to get some basic trim while getting the jib top down on deck. Took two hours to settle everything down... tweaking sheets, tweaking autopilot, tweaking heading... till it got to the point I could stop and take a rest (yes a nap).

All day the wind "occasionally" swings back (a header) and I have to trim the sheet and guy and head off a tad... currently heading off a bit more then I want but I believe the extra speed from the spinnaker makes it worth it. Now hoping the night quiets down a bit... having seen 18k at times on a header (okay but uncomfortable being on the beam)- so I can get more sleep (yes I like my sleep).

Real food today (though not everyone would call it that)... mac and cheese with a can of tuna thrown in (I should have thrown in a can of string beans but forgot). It was a lot of mac and cheese so had it for both lunch and dinner (waste not want not). As some of you know I am not a foodie... really just need to get some calories on board after "not much" the first two days.

Had my first bowel movement. Now non sailors might wonder why I would mention this. But when going offshore, ones first BM is a good sign that "all systems are go". The bump, food and sleep disruptions can make one a bit irregular... and constipation offshore can be a serious thing.

Stripped down to just my long johns as the boat heated up quite a bit today... foulies and boots are put away till the next time I have to go on the foredeck (as I was this afternoon to flake and brick the jib top and get the spinnaker net set).

T-shirt and bathing suit tomorrow and maybe a shower?

And when is that High going to leave in a NW direction so I can just "point the boat to the palm trees"?
    Cheers,
    Jim Q

Reverie
    Winds light and shifty all night, but I decided not to put up Code 0 and get some sleep instead. As a result, Solstice sailed away from me and out of AIS range. Elmach caught up and passed me in the morning. Grey skies and occasional drizzle.

Put up code 0 after breakfast (around 09:00 - I slept in , as the winds were fluctuating every 30 min from less then 10 to over 16 (and getting headed as wind piped up). Got hit by a ‘micro squall’ - wind headed about 30 deg and got up to 17-18 kts for about 5 min. After that wind abated to 9-12 kts and code 0 was not enough. Finally (after much wondering if I’ll get hit by another wind shift) put up A2 at 12:30 after waiting out a squall to pass behind me.

After that, it’s like someone flipped a switch - felt like a completely different world. Going downwind, sunny, and much warmer than the previous couple of days.
    Awaiting the afternoon position report - I think I slipped down a few places due to procrastinating with the code 0/spinnaker.

I feel I need a lot more experience sailing downwind - trying to figure things out as I go.

From Horizon: Race report: if I could send a photo it would say warm sun, blue water, shorts, t shirt. Slow going for the next two days unfortunately. But I’ll take it.

Random Numbers: Top 5 mileage wise

Jamani 1,436 DTF
    Green Buffalo 1,443 DTF
    Perplexity 1,452 DTF
    Solstice 1,453 DTF
    Such Fast 1,467 DTF

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• July 18th Pac Cup Updates
      by Photoboy
      Updates From The Boats!...
      07-18-2024, 11:16 AM
    • Fast And Furious In The Aegean 600
      by Photoboy

Spectacular 15-25 knot conditions today helped get this year’s fleet of the AEGEAN 600 off to a fast and furious start to their 605-mile tour of the beautiful Aegean islands. These perfect conditions in this 4th edition of the race organized by the Hellenic Ocean Racing Club (HORC) are suitable to threaten course records in both the Monohull and Multihull divisions.

First off the start were five multihulls being scored under the MOCRA handicap system, including
      07-08-2024, 03:05 PM
    • Third Time Proves To Be The Charm For Team Malolo
      by Photoboy
      STAGE 2, DAY 6: THIRD TIME’S A CHARM FOR AN OVERNIGHT SUCCESS 9 YEARS IN THE MAKING.

June 18, 2024
      The world of media coverage needs things simple. Life is complicated. Depending on how you tilt your head, today’s top story was both. After somewhere between five days and nine years of hard-fought effort, Team Malolo crossed the line and rang in their rightful place in the annals of R2AK.

It would be easy to chalk up Team Malolo’s early afternoon
      06-19-2024, 11:50 AM
    • A Wet And Wild Ride Around The Isle Of Wight
      by Photoboy

A wet and wild edition of Round the Island Race
      Author: Jo Bowden Date: 13:22 Sunday 16 Jun 2024

It was certainly a race to remember with crews battling the heavy conditions, especially around the Needles and the reach to St Catherine’s Point.

Race Director, Dave Atkinson said: “This race was a challenge for both the competitors and the Race Team at the Island Sailing Club, with the safety and well-being of the crews being the main priority.
      06-18-2024, 12:19 PM
    • A Dramatic Finish At The Annual Regatta
      by Photoboy

Vesper Hangs Tough to Claim Overall ORC Win in 170th Annual Regatta
      Newport, R.I. — On a light-air, four-race day, the final standings in a top-flight competitive fleet are as likely to come down to the mistakes you avoid as the things you do right. That was the case in ORC B at the 170th Annual Regatta. David Team’s Vesper squad fought all day with rival Fox, skippered by Victor Wild, doing most everything as right as can be expected on a very challenging day.

06-17-2024, 11:29 AM
    • Dalin Takes Line Honors
      by Photoboy
      FRENCH SKIPPER CHARLIE DALIN (MACIF SANTE PREVOYANCE) WINS THE NEW YORK VENDEE
      6/9/24 RACE

Jean-Louis Carli / Alea

After leading the 28 boat IMOCA fleet since last Monday morning, and today holding a margin of over 300 miles over second place, French skipper Charlie Dalin tonight completed an emphatic victory on the 3200 nautical miles New York Vendee Les Sables d’Olonne solo race across the North Atlantic.

HIS RACE IN
      06-14-2024, 09:53 AM
    Working...
    X