Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Course For US Team In Sail GP

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• A New Course For US Team In Sail GP

NEW YORK, Nov. 29, 2023 - SailGP’s United States team has been purchased by technology investor and founding Uber engineer Ryan McKillen, Margaret McKillen, and two-time world champion sailor Mike Buckley. They are joined by a diverse group of investors representing the sport, technology, entertainment and media industries.

The Avenue Sports Fund, led by Avenue Capital Group CEO Marc Lasry, is the lead investor in what will be the largest team acquisition in SailGP history. Other members of the investment group include actress and producer Issa Rae; world champion heavyweight boxer Deontay Wilder; global DJ and producer Gryffin; and NFL stars DeAndre Hopkins, Malik Jackson, Roquan Smith and Kayvon Thibodeaux. Additional members include University of Alabama football star Dallas Turner; former U.S. soccer player Jozy Altidore; University of Michigan basketball legend Katelynn Flaherty Yates; Muse Capital’s Assia Grazioli-Venier; and serial entrepreneur Gary Vaynerchuk.

SailGP is the most exciting racing on water. The global league features high-tech, high-speed 50-foot foiling catamarans that are raced by the world’s best athletes in 10 national teams and broadcast in over 200+ markets (CBS and YouTube in the U.S.). In SailGP’s fourth season, the quickly growing global sailing league provides 13 live events year-round – six of which take place in North America including New York, Los Angeles and Chicago – at the most iconic waterfront locations around the world.

Under the new U.S. SailGP Team structure, Ryan McKillen will serve as Chairman, and Mike Buckley as Chief Executive Officer. The team has appointed seven-time world champion sailor Taylor Canfield as team driver.

Mike Buckley, U.S. SailGP Team CEO

“We believe that diversity is a competitive advantage and it needs to start at the top,” said Mike Buckley, U.S. SailGP Team Co-owner and CEO. “We have assembled the most diverse ownership group in the history of our sport. Collectively, we have an enormous amount of work to do on and off the water, but I think that I have shown I am not going to back down from this important challenge.”

Ryan McKillen, U.S. SailGP Team Chairman, Co-owner

“By bringing together this remarkable group to acquire the United States SailGP Team, we have reached an important milestone in the growth of our sport,” said Ryan McKillen, U.S. SailGP Team Co-owner and Chairman. “As sailors, we love this sport and want to introduce it to millions; as entrepreneurs, we recognize the potential and growth trajectory of SailGP and how our U.S. SailGP Team can introduce the future of on-water racing at the highest level. Our incredible ownership group is a testament to the growth and expansion of SailGP into the mainstream.”

Taylor Canfield, U.S. SailGP Team Driver

"I have always dreamed of racing in SailGP with an all-American team. I have a lot of work ahead of me but I have been preparing for this moment since I was a child.
    The notion that there is not enough talent in the US gives us all a little more fuel to our fire as we prepare for a long fight.
    Competing as an athlete while having equity in the team is a dream come true. I hope that this is just the beginning for athletes across all sports that also look to be more than an athlete."
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Making Tracks South Of The Border
      by Photoboy
      PV2024 Day 5:
      MONDAY MORNING PV RACE UPDATES
      San Diego, CA (February 26, 2024) Most boats on the course are about 24 hours behind last year’s record-setting pace. Compared with their 2022 position at this same elapsed time, Rio 100 and BadPak are roughly 200 miles short. Such Fast, a Thursday starter, is about 140 miles short of last year’s Monday morning location.

Tracker: https://cf.yb.tl/sdpv2024#

ORR1

Yesterday, 05:10 PM
    • Under 150 NM For Caudrelier To Finish!
      by Photoboy
      The last hours at sea for ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest leader Charles Caudrelier as he seeks to close out solo multihull round the world race win.

A tantalising three hundred miles from the finish line of the first ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest solo ULTIM round the world race, French skipper Charles Caudrelier spent his 50th birthday and his 50th day of racing since leaving Brest on Sunday 7th January keeping his giant blue and white Verdier designed ULTIM Maxi Edmond
      Yesterday, 03:47 PM
    • Delamare Wins, Cole's Northerly Ascension Continues Her March Into History Books
      by Photoboy

Today February 24th at 14:03 UTC, 3:03 pm local time, after 147d 1h 3m 37s at sea, Philippe Delamare on Mowgli has won the Global Solo Challenge 2023/2024, first competitor to complete his circumnavigation by the three great capes, solo and non stop. The sea state was very challenging with waves over 6 meters even close to the finish line. Philippe has faced a serious storm to complete his circumnavigation and 2 days ago in the building seas he was knocked down...
      Yesterday, 12:28 PM
    • The End Of One Journey Sparks Desire To Continue The Objective
      by Photoboy
      Long, but final debrief.

A bit over 10 days ago, my participation in the Global Solo Challenge came to an abrupt and unfortunate end when I dismasted in the South Atlantic Ocean. I had just written a downtrodden and somber blog entry a day or two before where I expressed how challenging and inhospitable the South Atlantic Ocean had been to me.

Sure enough, she finished me off shortly after that entry. While navigating northward
      02-25-2024, 11:11 AM
    • Caudrelier Takes Safety Stop In The Azores
      by Photoboy
      With less than 1,200 miles to go to the finish of the ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest, Charles Caudrelier on the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, leader of the race since the end of January, has elected to take shelter in the Azores, thereby making a technical stopover.

The “24-hour stopover timer” was started by race management at 0504hrs UTC. His objective is to avoid a big depression approaching from the south of Iceland which is set to make the Bay of Biscay “impassable”
      02-23-2024, 02:06 PM
    • A Fast Pit Stop In Brazil For Banque Populaire
      by Photoboy

After a little more than 48 hours of technical stopover in Rio de Janeiro, ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest skipper Armel Le Cleac'h and his ULTIM Maxi Banque Populaire XI have returned to the race track. He docked out from Rio at a little after 1630hrs UTC and resumed racing in third place at 1738hrs UTC.

Thanks to great cooperation from the authorities in France and Brazil the Banque Populaire XI technical team were able to replace the two rudders damaged in the South
      02-18-2024, 02:37 PM
    Working...
    X