SVR Lazartigue Abandons Arkea Ultim Challenge

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• SVR Lazartigue Abandons Arkea Ultim Challenge

THE END OF AN ADVENTURE, THE BEGINNING OF A GREAT STORY

image: Julien Champolion - polaRYSE

That's it: we announced it to you this morning... the Trimaran SVR Lazartigue and Tom Laperche - Navigateur are forced to stop now the ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest adventure.

But it's just a game over. The goal being to come back stronger for the next challenge on board our beautiful Blue Bird.
    The end of a race indeed, but the beginning of a great story: the one between Tom, the #trimaransvrlazartigue, the whole team and you! You have been an amazing support over the last few weeks and we are very grateful.
    We share here the images from yesterday's water out, captured by Guillaume Gatefait
    Thanks again for your support!

The end of a dream but already looking towards the next goals

The release of the Trimaran SVR- Lazartigue from the water during a stopover in the port of Cape Town (South Africa) confirmed the extent of the damage following the damage suffered ten days ago. Repairs within a reasonable time being impossible, the ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE - Brest (solo race around the world) ends prematurely. Even if the disappointment is great, skipper Tom Laperche and the entire boat team are already looking ahead to the next events, starting with the Jules Verne Trophy, the crewed round the world record.

image: Julien Champolion - polaRYSE

The entire Trimaran SVR- Lazartigue team wanted to believe it. Believe in this tiny hope of continuing the adventure of the ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE - Brest, believe that their determination could lift another mountain after having already achieved the feat of being able to be at the start on January 7 despite a structural problem detected at the end of the Transat Jacques Vabre in November. The hope was there. That of only needing two or three weeks of work to repair the damage resulting from the damage suffered on the night of Thursday January 18 . Cursed night when the boat hits an unidentified object or animal, in the South Atlantic. But after finally being able to get the boat out of the water this Sunday, in the port of Cape Town (South Africa) where Tom Laperche had managed to bring his boat back at the start of the week, the decision seemed obvious. The damage is far too great to imagine a reasonable time frame for getting back into the race and launching into the Indian Ocean and then the Pacific. The solo round-the-world trip of the Trimaran SVR - Lazartigue and Tom Laperche ends in Cape Town. A lot of disappointment obviously but already looking towards the next objectives. At the forefront throughout the first part of the race before this damage, the boat showed its exceptional potential.

At the end of March, he should join the MerConcept workshops in his home port in Concarneau. A project estimated to take three months by C?cile Andrieu (team manager) (see elsewhere) suggests a return to the water at the beginning of the summer with the Jules Verne Trophy in sight, the crewed round-the-world record, from the end of October. One dream ends, but others will very quickly blossom.

Tom Laperche : “I wanted to believe it but unfortunately it wasn’t realistic ”

Tom, what is the conclusion of the damage analysis from this Sunday?

“ Given the damage and the repair times, we must resolve to stop the race. The decision is clear . Everyone shares it, the team, the Kresk group and myself. It's obviously difficult to accept because it's the end of this world tour that I carried deep within me. I wanted to fight to finish the race, I had the goal of finishing it . So it 's not obvious."

Did the choice to abandon appear obvious?

"Since I saw the extent of the damage, I knew it was going to be difficult to leave . But I wanted to believe it , to hope that we could repair it quickly by studying all the possibilities . Unfortunately, this was not realistic. I thank the team who were great. She knew how to recover me, support me . Everyone is disappointed but remains focused on inspecting the boat, dismantling it, doing all the necessary things for the future, and already planning the repair."

How do you feel ?

"It's the first time I've given up on a race, the first time I've had major damage to a boat. It's hard. Even if we do everything to avoid it , there will surely be others. It remains a mechanical sport, we cannot control everything. In their sporting career, few, if any, sailors have ever experienced damage or abandonment. It's hard but it's also part of the beauty of these races. I remain convinced that sailing alone on these trimarans on a planetary scale is extraordinary and exciting."

What is the future?

"In the coming months we will continue to make the Trimaran SVR- Lazartigue more reliable and improve it . I obviously want to sail again as quickly as possible but the work is substantial . I hope that the return to the water will be possible at the end of spring, beginning of summer. What helps me the most today, what gives me desire and motivation, is to think about what comes next, to imagine what we can do on the boat and to think about the program. Think about being able to sail again on this magnificent boat . It 's so amazing. "

C?cile Andrieu (Team manager): “The best way to look ahead is to plan for the next big race: the Jules Verne Trophy”

Didier Tabary (President of the KRESK group)

Forced to deal with local port life, strongly impacted by the crisis in the Red Sea which considerably increases the number of ships present in Cape Town, the MerConcept team was finally able, this Sunday, to take the Trimaran SVR - Lazartigue out of the water . Cecile Andrieu takes stock of this operation, confirms the choice to abandon and defines the next steps for the Trimaran.

The finding and the decision

“When we took the boat out, we could see the extent of the damage. Given the size of the opening in the bottom of the hull, we believe that it is not possible to restart the race. This would require heavy, very long work and we do not necessarily have the capacity to do it here. We are therefore heading towards abandonment. "

Projects

“This abandonment is obviously a disappointment for the entire team who have worked hard for five months. The best way to look ahead, beyond thinking about how we bring the boat back, is to look forward to the next big race which will be the Jules Verne Trophy (the crewed round the world record) including the stand by will begin at the end of October 2024. This deadline will guide our coming weeks, like a little light at the end of the tunnel. "

In the immediate future

“Now that the boat is dry, we will carry out the inspection and think about the different stages of its repair. The reason why we took it out of the water is twofold: to prevent water from seeping further into the rest of the fabrics that make up the boat and thus avoid further damage to it and then, obviously, to complete the checks to start thinking about repairs over the next few months. Today, whatever option is chosen, a cargo return or delivery, the arrival in Concarneau is estimated for the second half of March. The project should then last 3 months for a relaunch next summer. "

“The entire SVR-Lazartigue team was extremely disappointed and saddened on January 18 to learn of the occurrence of this major damage which interrupted the magnificent journey achieved by Tom Laperche up to that point. As we announce this retirement, we think of Tom, of the teams who worked to prepare the Trimaran and of the thousands of enthusiasts who shared our emotion. Tom has proven himself to be a great sailor. He is young and I am convinced that he will win many races in the future. We are therefore turning the page on this world tour but already have in mind our future big meeting at the end of the year: the Jules Verne"

"Finally, for me it is fundamental and vital for the future of the Ultim Class and offshore racing to develop a more efficient anti-collision system in order to be able to detect submerged objects or possible marine mammals, which is what We don't know how to do it at the moment. It is of course a question of avoiding the risks of impact with cetaceans because it is an important environmental subject which is particularly close to our hearts but also and more generally of making our boats less vulnerable and of maintaining the sporting interest of our shopping."

"I am convinced that together, we have the capacity to provide the necessary means for the joint development of this new technology”
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• July 18th Pac Cup Updates
      by Photoboy
      Updates From The Boats!...
      07-18-2024, 11:16 AM
    • Fast And Furious In The Aegean 600
      by Photoboy

Spectacular 15-25 knot conditions today helped get this year’s fleet of the AEGEAN 600 off to a fast and furious start to their 605-mile tour of the beautiful Aegean islands. These perfect conditions in this 4th edition of the race organized by the Hellenic Ocean Racing Club (HORC) are suitable to threaten course records in both the Monohull and Multihull divisions.

First off the start were five multihulls being scored under the MOCRA handicap system, including
      07-08-2024, 03:05 PM
    • Third Time Proves To Be The Charm For Team Malolo
      by Photoboy
      STAGE 2, DAY 6: THIRD TIME’S A CHARM FOR AN OVERNIGHT SUCCESS 9 YEARS IN THE MAKING.

June 18, 2024
      The world of media coverage needs things simple. Life is complicated. Depending on how you tilt your head, today’s top story was both. After somewhere between five days and nine years of hard-fought effort, Team Malolo crossed the line and rang in their rightful place in the annals of R2AK.

It would be easy to chalk up Team Malolo’s early afternoon
      06-19-2024, 11:50 AM
    • A Wet And Wild Ride Around The Isle Of Wight
      by Photoboy

A wet and wild edition of Round the Island Race
      Author: Jo Bowden Date: 13:22 Sunday 16 Jun 2024

It was certainly a race to remember with crews battling the heavy conditions, especially around the Needles and the reach to St Catherine’s Point.

Race Director, Dave Atkinson said: “This race was a challenge for both the competitors and the Race Team at the Island Sailing Club, with the safety and well-being of the crews being the main priority.
      06-18-2024, 12:19 PM
    • A Dramatic Finish At The Annual Regatta
      by Photoboy

Vesper Hangs Tough to Claim Overall ORC Win in 170th Annual Regatta
      Newport, R.I. — On a light-air, four-race day, the final standings in a top-flight competitive fleet are as likely to come down to the mistakes you avoid as the things you do right. That was the case in ORC B at the 170th Annual Regatta. David Team’s Vesper squad fought all day with rival Fox, skippered by Victor Wild, doing most everything as right as can be expected on a very challenging day.

06-17-2024, 11:29 AM
    • Dalin Takes Line Honors
      by Photoboy
      FRENCH SKIPPER CHARLIE DALIN (MACIF SANTE PREVOYANCE) WINS THE NEW YORK VENDEE
      6/9/24 RACE

Jean-Louis Carli / Alea

After leading the 28 boat IMOCA fleet since last Monday morning, and today holding a margin of over 300 miles over second place, French skipper Charlie Dalin tonight completed an emphatic victory on the 3200 nautical miles New York Vendee Les Sables d’Olonne solo race across the North Atlantic.

HIS RACE IN
      06-14-2024, 09:53 AM
    Working...
    X