No announcement yet.

Hold Up At The Horn

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Hold Up At The Horn

Storm forces Caudrelier to take a ‘time out'

The Maxi Edmond de Rothschild team has said this morning that their ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest leading skipper Charles Caudrelier has made the decision to put his race on hold for an indefinite period because of the weather conditions which were expected for his passage of Cape Horn. “They are absolutely incompatible with progress and so we have chosen to be patient.” explains Caudrelier.

Current Weather Situation

Blocking the route are violent winds of 50 to 70 knots with very heavy seas, all created by two depressions. To pass the rugged coast of Tierra del Fuego and the famous Cape Horn would be a perilous mission. So Caudrelier and his routing team made the decision this morning to put the race on ‘pause the race.’ Their team press release this morning said “This is a choice which is essential for the preservation of man and machine”.

Incoming Weather At The Horn!

Caudrelier was due to pass Cape Horn this Sunday, February 4. However, a southern oceans depression is in the North-East and a second is forming in the North.

“In the coming days, these two systems will meet and merge, it will be explosive,” explains Erwan Israel from the Gitana routing cell. “Gusts over 70 knots are expected. This decision is obvious. It was just not possible to move towards the Horn with such a weather scenario. It was an ambush that would have closed in on us with no possible escape since in the South we are limited by the Antarctic Exclusion Zone.”

“This is the first time in my life that such a situation has happened to me in a race,” admits Charles Caudrelier. “We have chosen to be patient. I want to keep things in perspective. We have a boat and a skipper in great shape. I keep smiling and I remain positive even if I will surely be chomping at the bit to see the miles to the finish keep dropping. A week ahead is perhaps a lot. But Cape Horn with more than a day in advance, is something any round the world racer dreams of and I think I will have more than that.” In the lead of the ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest for 17 days, the skipper of the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild is currently more than 3,400 miles ahead of his leading pursuers.

“This seems to give him a passage at Cape Horn next Tuesday,” suggests Guillaume Rottee Race Director. ”Getting round Cape Horn would have been very problematic, upwind in very harsh conditions. Now Charles will slow down, between five and ten knots, so as not to progress too far to the East.”

And so according to the race management, he should pass Cape Horn “next Tuesday at best”. Among the consequences of this stop, there is the fact that Armel Le Cleac’h (2nd) will be able to get slightly closer to the leader. “We would then expect that there will be a four-day gap between the boats as they pass Charles’ Cape Horn.”

And the situation is not simple for Thomas Coville. Arriving in Hobart on Wednesday, the skipper of Sodebo Ultim 3 still has to wait as there are two depressions which are forecast with particularly bad seas. “The most reasonable thing would be to wait until the end of the day tomorrow to leave.” Says Rottee

Anthony Marchand (Actual Ultim 3), stuck in a light zone for a long time, is starting to feel some wind again. The situation is the opposite for Eric Peron (ULTIM ACTUAL) who comes up against a soft spot. Note that Anthony Marchand is expected at Cape Leeuwin next Tuesday.
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Making Tracks South Of The Border
      by Photoboy
      PV2024 Day 5:
      MONDAY MORNING PV RACE UPDATES
      San Diego, CA (February 26, 2024) Most boats on the course are about 24 hours behind last year’s record-setting pace. Compared with their 2022 position at this same elapsed time, Rio 100 and BadPak are roughly 200 miles short. Such Fast, a Thursday starter, is about 140 miles short of last year’s Monday morning location.

Tracker: https://cf.yb.tl/sdpv2024#

ORR1

Yesterday, 05:10 PM
    • Under 150 NM For Caudrelier To Finish!
      by Photoboy
      The last hours at sea for ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest leader Charles Caudrelier as he seeks to close out solo multihull round the world race win.

A tantalising three hundred miles from the finish line of the first ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest solo ULTIM round the world race, French skipper Charles Caudrelier spent his 50th birthday and his 50th day of racing since leaving Brest on Sunday 7th January keeping his giant blue and white Verdier designed ULTIM Maxi Edmond
      Yesterday, 03:47 PM
    • Delamare Wins, Cole's Northerly Ascension Continues Her March Into History Books
      by Photoboy

Today February 24th at 14:03 UTC, 3:03 pm local time, after 147d 1h 3m 37s at sea, Philippe Delamare on Mowgli has won the Global Solo Challenge 2023/2024, first competitor to complete his circumnavigation by the three great capes, solo and non stop. The sea state was very challenging with waves over 6 meters even close to the finish line. Philippe has faced a serious storm to complete his circumnavigation and 2 days ago in the building seas he was knocked down...
      Yesterday, 12:28 PM
    • The End Of One Journey Sparks Desire To Continue The Objective
      by Photoboy
      Long, but final debrief.

A bit over 10 days ago, my participation in the Global Solo Challenge came to an abrupt and unfortunate end when I dismasted in the South Atlantic Ocean. I had just written a downtrodden and somber blog entry a day or two before where I expressed how challenging and inhospitable the South Atlantic Ocean had been to me.

Sure enough, she finished me off shortly after that entry. While navigating northward
      02-25-2024, 11:11 AM
    • Caudrelier Takes Safety Stop In The Azores
      by Photoboy
      With less than 1,200 miles to go to the finish of the ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest, Charles Caudrelier on the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, leader of the race since the end of January, has elected to take shelter in the Azores, thereby making a technical stopover.

The “24-hour stopover timer” was started by race management at 0504hrs UTC. His objective is to avoid a big depression approaching from the south of Iceland which is set to make the Bay of Biscay “impassable”
      02-23-2024, 02:06 PM
    • A Fast Pit Stop In Brazil For Banque Populaire
      by Photoboy

After a little more than 48 hours of technical stopover in Rio de Janeiro, ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest skipper Armel Le Cleac'h and his ULTIM Maxi Banque Populaire XI have returned to the race track. He docked out from Rio at a little after 1630hrs UTC and resumed racing in third place at 1738hrs UTC.

Thanks to great cooperation from the authorities in France and Brazil the Banque Populaire XI technical team were able to replace the two rudders damaged in the South
      02-18-2024, 02:37 PM
    Working...
    X