Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delamare Takes The Flag, Cole's Northerly Ascension Continues Her March Into History Books

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Delamare Wins, Cole's Northerly Ascension Continues Her March Into History Books

Today February 24th at 14:03 UTC, 3:03 pm local time, after 147d 1h 3m 37s at sea, Philippe Delamare on Mowgli has won the Global Solo Challenge 2023/2024, first competitor to complete his circumnavigation by the three great capes, solo and non stop. The sea state was very challenging with waves over 6 meters even close to the finish line. Philippe has faced a serious storm to complete his circumnavigation and 2 days ago in the building seas he was knocked down and broke his boom. The boat has plenty of signs of the incredible voyage with damage to many components of his equipment. Philippe was very extremely happy by the welcome and by the special visit of Jean Luc Van Den Heede who has given him precious advice to prepare for the event, and win it!

Meanwhile... American Cole Brauer continues her march towards 2nd overall, 1st women and 1st American Woman to circumnavigate the planet singlehanded....

Cole Brauer, currently holding firmly onto second position has now less than 2000 miles to go to the finish line in A Coruna, every and every mile she sails takes her one step closer to becoming the first American female to complete a solo, nonstop, circumnavigation by the three great capes as well as entering in that very small elite of less than 200 sailors to have ever achieved this result. Success is getting closer for Cole.

Good morning everyone! Woof I wish I had better news… just horrendous conditions out here. Upwind/close reaching, 3m choppy waves, 50-60 degree shifts and breeze from 15-36knots. Just fully out of control. To make matters worse on top of all the slamming, there is a lot of water inside the boat, I have now started to use the electric pump to pump out water every 6-10hours. First Light is know to be a very dry boat so this is a bit of a hassle. The water is coming through the top rudder bearing (I’ve made a raincoat out of ziplock bags for the autopilot, and a raincoat for the rudder bearing but it’s not enough), the other spot is the forward electrical wires comes down through the deck gland and into the boat and with the massive amount of water on the deck and the slamming the silicone as come loose. So there is water in the forward compartment and in the keel box. I at least know the issues and what are the worse case scenarios and I am monitoring this and making sure that I keep these areas as dry as I can! Not much sleep but heading off to a nap. Wish me luck! Another 2-3 days of this and then hopefully… downwind conditions!

Aloha from the rudder compartment! Just constantly cleaning up water to keep it from sloshing around the autopilot!

Today’s been clean up and get settled but trying to make it more fun!!

PS the hatch I open is called the emergency hatch: that is if the boat was to flip over completely I could still get out safely! And it makes for nice pictures of my wake!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3ukS18LK-b/

My parents met in a gym as body builders, my dad was a rower, triathlete and cyclist. My mom a cyclist, kayaker and trail runner. I grew up around workout equipment and in a bike shop. My parents pushed me extremely hard in cycling, rock climbing and running. All other sports were not sports and not as respected. When I was a teenager and being bad instead of grounding me as most of my childhood friends parents would do, my parents would put me on the treadmill and make me run as fast as I could for at least 20mins; in order to get my teenage angst out. They were tough but fair.

All throughout school we had these physical fitness tests, there was a metric that put us in categories and my dad looked at this metric and then looked at what the boys metric was and threw the girls metric out. He said, if the boys can do it. You can too. We started with pull-ups; I was already a rock climber and an avid tree climber that pull ups came easy. But he wanted me to make sure I did more that any of the boys. Proper ones too, all the way down and all the way up. Every year when the time for the physical fitness tests came up, I had to go home and report back to my dad how I did. I always felt proud to come home and bring him my metric sheet that showed I was at the highest of my school for fitness. When I joined sailing my parents were not very happy. They didn’t see sailing as a sport that had true fitness. But now after years I can show them that all of their hard work throughout my childhood and their push for a strong mind and body has paid off. For this moment. Happy Birthday Dad. I love you. You and mom kicked ass raising me. Don’t let anyone ever tell you anything different. I am proud to be your daughter. ☺️

PS very hard to do proper pull-ups on a boat that is heeled at 18-22 degrees and slamming in 2-3m waves upwind
    2d
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• 2024 DH Farallones: Taming The Beast!
      by Photoboy

The Doublehanded Farallones Race was a true test of mettle this year, dishing out 25-35 knots of southerly storm winds, which gradually turned offshore, meaning that it was sort of a reverse Farallones race – off the wind on the way to the island, and upwind on the way back. Boats that were able to reduce sails and remain in control found that they had a record-fast sail out to the island in rough conditions, but had a slower return back against the wind. The winds eventually
      Today, 11:26 AM
    • ETNZ Reveal, Splash, Rig And Sail New AC 75 On Single Day!
      by Photoboy
      12 APRIL 2024

EMIRATES TEAM NEW ZEALAND FIRST TO SAIL THE NEW AC75
      With the weather clearing in Auckland, Emirates Team New Zealand took advantage of a window to quietly launch the raceboat that will defend the Louis Vuitton 37th America’s Cup in Barcelona in October. The hopes of this sailing-mad nation rest on a progressive and heavily refined design, a (big) step-on from their America’s Cup winning boat ‘Te Rehutai’ of AC36. The
      04-12-2024, 11:20 AM
    • Spring Keel And Wheeler Welcome The Return Of Winter Weather!
      by Photoboy
      There are times when universes collide, bringing various masses hurtling together in a semi quantum chaotic stew that can only be attributed to timing, weather and the pull from planetary forces... Saturday's racing in the waters off Treasure Island was one of them.

The St Francis Yacht Club was hosting the Spring Fest, with some of the fleets starting of the western edge of T.I. and simultaneously, the Berkeley Yacht Club was hosting the Annual Rollo Wheeler Regatta off the Berkeley
      04-09-2024, 12:57 PM
    • Worth The Wait: The Breeze Returns To Mallorca
      by Photoboy
      5 Apr 2024

The best winds came in late at the 53 Trofeo Princesa Sofia Mallorca by Iberostar today but the wait was worth it, especially for Britain’s ILCA 7 racer Micky Beckett and Italian Nacra 17 Olympic and world champions Ruggero Tita and Caterina Banti who won their events with a day to spare at the Mallorca’s emblematic Olympic classes event which has drawn a record entry for an Olympic year.

Beckett’s victory is his third back-to-back
      04-05-2024, 01:59 PM
    • Easter Weekend Raid Puts Estuary Pirates Behind Bars
      by Photoboy
      Police sink suspected San Francisco Bay bandits after seafaring pirates terrorize houseboats, yachts

Chris Eberhart: https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-si...080005540.html

Police sink suspected San Francisco Bay bandits after seafaring pirates terrorize houseboats, yachts
      Suspected seafaring bandits terrorizing San Francisco Bay residents are now landlocked in jail cells.

Three suspected maritime burglars accused of breaking into a
      04-03-2024, 04:26 PM
    • Nuking Day One Conditions At Trofeo Princesa Mallorca
      by Photoboy

With gusts to over 30kts at times and a big, untidy swell which has been built up by nearly two weeks of strong winds in the Balearica Islands, of the ten Olympic scheduled events only the Formula Kite Men and Women, the ILCA 6 and ILCA 7 singlehanders and the redoubtable 470 Mixed were actually able to race and open their accounts on schedule at the 53 Trofeo Princesa Sofia Mallorca by Iberostar.

“It was nuclear today and I was loving it! We don’t
      04-02-2024, 11:23 AM
    Working...
    X