Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life Jackets for Ometepe, Nicaragua - Donations wanted

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Life Jackets for Ometepe, Nicaragua - Donations wanted

I just received this email from a fellow PMYC member looking for donations and thought everyone might like this story and have something they want to donate. Contact me (pnwpressuredrop at gmail.com) if you want to donate and I'll get you in contact with Kim and Ela. I don't know how much they can take down but I'm sure they would love your interest if nothing else.

Fellow PMYC Members.- Ela and I are just back from a month on Ometepe Island, the Sister Island of Bainbridge, in Nicaragua. We were there to celebrate the 25th anniversary of our very special relationship, and there was a gathering of around 600 people to celebrate.

However, during the month, Ela and I also went on a very special sailing adventure. We sailed due north from Ometepe across the lake, some 50km, in a fifty year old sailboat, without any auxiliary power, to the north shore of the lake with a load of Plantains.

The crew of four does this every week, with seasonal crops aboard. Our trip took us 20 hours, since we ran out of wind as we approached the Chontales coast. One thing I am looking for to help these sailors we met, are some life jackets and float cushions.

There are only 5 functioning sailboats like this left on Ometepe, and we talked to them about giving tourists rides on their boat when they are not using it for trade. They liked the idea, but they have no life jackets, which I think tourists would expect. So, if any of you have good life jackets or float cushions that you are not using, and want to contribute them, I have a chance to send down a suitcase in March. I will put a suitcase in the clubhouse, with some information next to it, and you can just drop off any contribution you would like to make. If there is more than we can send, we will leave them in the back room for the club to use as spares.

Thanks again, Kim

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Skeleton Shrimp Use 18 Appendages to Feed, Fight and ... Frolic | Deep Look
      by Photoboy
      Deep Look

On first impression, skeleton shrimp anatomy is confusing. These crustaceans use a funky assortment of body parts to move around like inchworms, feed on bits of sea garbage, stage boxing matches, and make lots of clingy babies.

The striking bodies of skeleton shrimp are gangly and ridiculously elongated. These omnivores constantly sieve food particles or small organisms from the water by waving their bodies back and forth, using comb-like filters on their ...
      10-27-2021, 01:48 PM
    • Life Jackets for Ometepe, Nicaragua - Donations wanted
      by Ballard Sailor
      I just received this email from a fellow PMYC member looking for donations and thought everyone might like this story and have something they want to donate. Contact me (pnwpressuredrop at gmail.com) if you want to donate and I'll get you in contact with Kim and Ela. I don't know how much they can take down but I'm sure they would love your interest if nothing else....
      03-08-2012, 06:47 AM
    • Dark Side Of The Lens [Video]
      by h2ojoe

The art and inner voice of Irish surf photographer Mickey Smith.

"I never set out to become anything in particular, only to live creatively and push the scope of my experience for adventure and for passion… The raw brutal cold coastlands for the right waveriders to challenge – this is where my heart beats hardest… Most folk don’t even know who we are, and what we do or how we do it, let alone what they pay us for it. I never want to take this for granted so I try to...
      12-01-2010, 04:54 PM
    Working...
    X