Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving Thanks in Drakes Bay for a Bountiful Dungeness Harvest

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Giving Thanks in Drakes Bay for a Bountiful Dungeness Harvest

Whilst the majority of the Bay Area populace were busy imbibing in post Thanksgiving Mall Abuse, rousing through the refer seeking something which didn't scream left over or huddled in front of the TV viewing college or pro football, Rob MacFarlane and his lady Kristen were enjoying the spaciousness of Drakes Bay aboard Rob's Nelson Marek 45' " Tiger Beetle.

They arrived at Drakes late Saturday in thick fog and located a USCG mooring via radar and soon thereafter jumped into their dink with the single Flex-O Fold crab pot and got busy:

"The plan was to head up to Bodega on Thursday but the storm front had just blown through leaving behind what looked to be a nasty cross see and lots of wind, so instead Kristen and I headed up that way Friday morning and it was gorgeous out there (though very little wind). I have a Flex Fold (very cool design) collapsing crab trap from up north (purchased it on San Juan Island, I think they are made in Canada), and we set it up Friday in Drakes Bay outside the marine protection area - so a bit of a dinghy ride from the anchorage out to where we'd set the pot. With a turkey neck in the bait bottle, down it went, and next morning pulled it up loaded with crab (exceeded our 10 critter limit, so some went back into the water)."

all images courtesy Tiger Beetle

"We set again Saturday night and pulled Sunday morning, another big pile of crab - more than we could store in the cockpit cooler so a half-dozen went back over the side and we were loaded! Kristen loves crab (I don't eat them but do enjoy watching them), so she spent two hours carefully cleaning out one crab, which she cooked up with pasta and sauce and had a fine meal."

"Also picked up a very interesting rock crab (he went back into the water), he has lots of short heavy spines on the carapace perimeter - I need to go look into my invertebrate book to sort out which one he was."

"Turns out we came back with more crab than would fit in Kristen's freezer, and then we ran across Cinnabar and wondered if they like crab - turns out they do! And Kristen was kind enough to donate some tasty critters to the cause."

The commercial crab fishermen finally left the docks yesterday after a 2 week hiatus and should be available as early as late today at the usual spots, Pillar Point, Fisherman's Wharf and Bodega Bay,and shortly thereafter in markets Bay Area wide.
    However if you have the time and the gear, a jaunt up to Drakes and the smug satisfaction of enjoying a meal you have harvested yourself among friends just can't be beat!

Some tips on cooking and cleaning the crustaceans

Tiger Beetle Home Page
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Dances With Penguins
      by Photoboy
      Paul Cayard sheds the racing bib and puts on some snow shoes as he chills out in Antarctica and will be providing some highlights along the way: Day 4 of our Antarctic adventure-Position 64S x 62W. Our general itinerary is to travel southwest to the Arctic Circle, 66.5S, through the Palmer Archipelago along the western coast line of the Antarctic Peninsula. Yesterday we cruised down the Gerlache Strait and overnighted at Melchior Island. Since our departure from King George Island...
      01-16-2019, 10:31 AM
    • Hot Tub Tours
      by Photoboy

Leave it to Amsterdam to come up with the optimal way to relax while touring the city. 2015 will see the initiation of Hot Tub Tours, and you can buy your own HERE!

Full Article ...
      12-02-2014, 04:38 PM
    • Tis The Season To Light Up The Night
      by Photoboy

Yes, Virginia, there will be illuminated boats a plenty this year! Time to ply away from the hustle and bustle,
      the frantic shopping and whatnot that can suck the joy out, and get a mug of good cheer and
      enjoy some of the spirit of the season!

All images courtesy Fred Fago Clicky A partial listing of all the Lighted Boat Parades coming to a waterway near you! Feel free to add listings in your neck of the woods no...
      12-02-2014, 11:58 AM
    • The Road Less Traveled: Playa el Coyote
      by Photoboy
      A different type of adventure, As Ruben and Robbie join friends Tim and Ramie as they delve into setting up a 2nd homestead in Playa el Coyote in Baja California. They have arrived and begin a 6 month labor intensive working vacation... My primary role while traveling down Mexico-1 to our favorite place in the Baja is that of navigator. This may sound crazy, as there is really only one road down. I spend a lot of time scouting for vados (dips), ganados (cows), topes (bumps) and curvas ...
      11-13-2014, 02:40 PM
    • Sweet Tea's Southbound Sojoun
      by Photoboy

Robin & Ruben Gabriel have loaded up the wagon with their Moore 24' Sweet Tea in tow and are headed
      south to Bay of Conception south of Mulege BCS for 6 months of sailing, fishing and diving the sea of Cortez !

They will be updating on a semi regular basis and we look forward to their reports! Sounds like some crazy good,
      low profile, good times on a budget!

10-30-2014, 09:00 PM
    • It's Pronounced "Gourde On"
      by Photoboy

Many celebrations of all things gourde this tim of year, but one that has a very nautical bent, the Damariscotta Pumpkinfest and Regatta, in where else, Damariscotta Maine, presents differnt way to get your "Gourde On"

http://damariscottapumpkinfest.com/PPressInquiries.html

10-12-2014, 10:02 AM
    Working...
    X