Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hobie Alter On CNN / Fortune

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Hobie Alter On CNN / Fortune

Hobie Alter, the father of the modern beach cat is highlighted in this recent article by
    CNN/Fortunes Magazine's Dinah Eng. Here is an excerpt:

Foam and fiberglass. If you're not a surfer, that combination means little to you. But if you like to ride the waves, you can thank Hobie Alter, the man who combined those two materials. That breakthrough made boards 20 pounds lighter and easier to use, as well as simpler to manufacture. It helped transform board-making from expensive balsa and fiberglass projects that you shaped and sanded in your garage into an economical, mass-production process in the 1950s.

His Hobie Surfboards became top sellers and helped launch a multibillion-dollar industry. In later years Alter also designed a radio-controlled glider, the Hobie Hawk, and helped make multi-hull sailing affordable and easier with the popular Hobie Cat. He passed the company to his sons two decades ago. (The company declined to discuss its revenues.) Today, at 80, he still gets out on the Pacific -- but these days it's on a motorized catamaran rather than a surfboard. His story:

My grandparents and my dad were orange growers in Ontario, Calif. My mother's father liked the beach, so he bought some property in Laguna. As soon as school got out, we would go straight to Laguna Beach, which was a perfect location for surfing. So I grew up bodysurfing and belly-board surfing.

Back in the 1940s surfing existed in Hawaii, but people didn't know much about it in California. When I was 14, my father couldn't find a surfboard, so he bought me a paddleboard that I'd use at low tide. A year later I met a guy named Walter Hoffman, who was one of the best riders on the Pacific Coast at the time. He told me where to buy the balsa wood and fiberglass, and my dad thought that was pretty neat. So my dad paid $45 for the materials, and I started building surfboards.
    All the boards back then were homemade. The first surfboard I made came out really good, and pretty soon people started wanting me to build boards for them. I'd take orders, and could build three to four a week in my folks' garage. I'd make about $20 profit on each board, and I built boards every summer through college.

MORE: The rise of the Tweezerman
    Eventually it was too messy to be building all those boards in the garage, so my dad said, "You need a shop. Try to go into the surfboard business." I had built 80 boards in four years, and he was impressed that I'd done that with no advertising. He thought if I got a place out on the highway and people saw the shop, I'd do even better. So when I finished junior college, I knew I'd go into the surfboard business.
    There wasn't a surfboard industry when I started. In 1953 my dad and I went to Dana Point, where property was cheap, and found a lot off the Pacific Coast Highway. Dad got a guy to build the shop with a showroom, and I paid $1,500 for the lot and $15,000 for the building and tooling with my savings.
    Full Article
      Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Vindication for Vandemoer
      by Photoboy
      In early 2019, the world of sailing, especially in the US was rocked by the announcement that a college sailing coach, one John Vandemoer had been arrested and charged in the largest college admissions scandals in US History. This announcement along with a long list of wealthy parents hoping to get their children accepted into prestigious colleges and universities who were caught up in the racketeering endeavours of one William "Rick" Singer. According to the film ...
      03-19-2021, 12:05 PM
    • Ode To Mr Fun
      by Photoboy

Members of the Richmond Yacht Club and the sailing community at large have been paying tribute the Dick Loomis aka "Mr Fun" who passed away
      earlier this week after battling cancer in recent times.

Here are just some of the many, many messages....

Well my dear friend Mr Fun you have gone from us too soon! While here your sure did a darn fine job of brightening the lives of everyone around you mine included....
      02-25-2021, 11:52 AM
    • The Baron Passes Over The Bar
      by Photoboy
      Passing of Baron Benjamin de Rothschild, founder and owner of the Gitana Team Saturday, January 16, 2021 - It is with deep regret and great sadness that Gitana Team announces the death of Benjamin de Rothschild following a heart attack at his home in Pregny (Switzerland), on the afternoon of 15 January 2021. The thoughts of the sailors and members of Gitana go out to his wife Ariane de Rothschild and his children, as well as to all his family and loved ones, to whom they extend thei...
      01-16-2021, 11:29 AM
    • A Childhood Fixation Drives Sally Fitzgibbons
      by Photoboy

Kahla Preston writes for Honey.nine.com.au Children often develop intense fixations, and for a young Sally Fitzgibbons it was the Olympic Games. From age five, she would imagine herself in Rocky-style movie montages as she threw herself into various sports. The "weird infatuation" was only cemented when she saw Cathy Freeman win gold at Sydney 2000. "Every time I'd finish running around the block or riding my BMX, I'd be like, 'Coming down the home straight, she's gonna...
      11-10-2020, 11:49 PM
    • A Change Of Course For Gabart
      by Photoboy
      Get to know Ambassador François Gabart Our first Ambassador from France, François Gabart is a skipper, competitor, and engineer currently focused on building a new Ultim (a 100-foot multihull) and opening MerConcept’s new office. Versatile, curious, and hard-working, François revealed his sailing potential with his victory in the Vendée Globe at just 29 years old and has propelled himself to rank amongst the greatest talents in ocean racing. François also values innovation and pr...
      07-31-2020, 08:45 AM
    • What Once Was: Ron Moore Reflects
      by Photoboy

link

Santa Cruz Cinematographer Tim McTighe put together a 9 minute plus video interview with
      Legendary SC boat builder Ron Moore and his reflections on a time gone by...

06-01-2020, 08:55 AM
    Working...
    X