Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Handed Adrian

Single Handed Adrian

This is just a preview for a longer video detailing my voyage from Seattle, USA to Sydney, Australia, in my 30-foot ultralight racing boat "Idefix".

I had a couple days of light winds while sailing solo from San Francisco to Hawaii in the 2012 Singlehanded Transpac, so I thought I'd give a little tour of my boat. This video is dedicated to the sailors in the 2014 SHTP (and Pacific Cup too!). Fair Winds!

http:/...
    See more | Go to post

• 4 Bay Area Kiters Nominated For Kite Racer Of The Year

4 Bay Area Kiters Nominated For Kite Racer Of The Year

The American Kiteboarding Association is pleased to present the nominees for the 2013 Kite Racer of the Year. This is a group of highly accomplished sailors and the race will be close. The winner will be announced on February 19, 2014 at a prestigious ceremony, likely at the beach. Results will be posted at www.americankiteboarding.org and on Facebook at American Kiteboarding Association: ...
    See more | Go to post

• Hobie Alter On CNN / Fortune

Hobie Alter On CNN / Fortune

Hobie Alter, the father of the modern beach cat is highlighted in this recent article by
    CNN/Fortunes Magazine's Dinah Eng. Here is an excerpt:

Full Article...
    See more | Go to post

• The 1st Foilers

The 1st Foilers

Old timey pics of what may very well be the 1st foiling crafts. The images from 1906 one of Enrico Forlanini's many contributions to aeronautics and the nautical world Enrico, an Italian engineer, inventor and aeronautical pioneer, well known for his works on helicopters, aircraft, hydrofoils and dirigibles. He was born in Milan. His older brother Carlo Forlanini was a famous Italian physician (1847–1918). He began modeling the foils as early as 1898, and using a ladder sy...
    See more | Go to post

• The Legend Of Jack

The Legend Of Jack

If you have ever engaged in any water sports that involved a wetsuit or neoprene anything,
    you owe a debt of gratitude to Jack O'Neill, who was recently honored by the City of Santa Cruz
    with a lifetime achievement award for his contributions to the sport and the huge financial benefits
    Santa Cruz has enjoyed over the decades directly and indirectly from Jack's innovation, the wetsuit!

See more | Go to post

• Surfs Up Archival

Surfs Up Archival

Hobie History :: June 1973 Interview with Phil Edwards & Mickey Munoz as copied word for Word from Surfer Magazine We open with Phil and Mickey looking at shots of themselves riding Sunset Beach on a Hobie Catamara. They haven’t seen them before and are quite interested to see how large the waves look. Phil, looking at the largest wave shot of he and Mickey riding Sunset, opens with the comment: “That’s the largest wave I’ve ever seen break at Doheny.” Phil : Where’s my pic...
    See more | Go to post

• Philippe Kahn Featured in WIRED!

Philippe Kahn Featured in WIRED!

It was an hour before the start of the race, and Philippe Kahn was in a state of panic. He was sailing straight for the starting line off Point Fermin, just south of Los Angeles, and the hydraulic system on Pegasus, his 50-foot open-format yacht, had just failed. Kahn was about to embark on the 2009 Transpac, the infamous, century-old sailing race that takes the bold and well-fixed from the Californian coast to the shores of Honolulu. It’s a voyage through more than 2,500 miles of unsettle...
    See more | Go to post

• Socrates Becomes Eldest Female Solo Circumnavigator

Socrates Becomes Eldest Female Solo Circumnavigator

After many days of frustrating drifting, 70-year-old British sailor Jeanne Socrates has made it home to Victoria in triumph, becoming the oldest woman to single-handedly sail non-stop around the world without outside assistance. Jeanne crossed the finish line in Victoria Monday morning between 2 and 3 am, and she tied up safely in Victoria Harbour. Jeanne set out from Victoria's Inner Harbour in her 11-metre cruiser Nereida on October 2012, on her third - yes third attempt to achie...
    See more | Go to post

• Ted Hood 1927-2013

Ted Hood 1927-2013

http://www.tedhood.com/...
    See more | Go to post

• Determination Prevails

Determination Prevails

Thierry Schmitter (born in France, 6 May 1969) is a Dutch sailor who was selected as Dutch Disabled Sportsman / woman of the Year in 2011. Thierry Schmitter won a bronze medal in sailing Mixed 2.4mR in Sailing at the 2004 Summer Paralympics and came fifth in the same category in Sailing at the 2008 Summer Paralympics. He also won a bronze medal in 2012
    Phillipe Gadeyne Image © Sander va der Borsch Coincidentally, this weekend, B.A.A.D.S. is hosting a visit by...
    See more | Go to post
There are no articles in this category.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• Vindication for Vandemoer
    by Photoboy
    In early 2019, the world of sailing, especially in the US was rocked by the announcement that a college sailing coach, one John Vandemoer had been arrested and charged in the largest college admissions scandals in US History. This announcement along with a long list of wealthy parents hoping to get their children accepted into prestigious colleges and universities who were caught up in the racketeering endeavours of one William "Rick" Singer. According to the film ...
    03-19-2021, 12:05 PM
  • Ode To Mr Fun
    by Photoboy

Members of the Richmond Yacht Club and the sailing community at large have been paying tribute the Dick Loomis aka "Mr Fun" who passed away
    earlier this week after battling cancer in recent times.

Here are just some of the many, many messages....

Well my dear friend Mr Fun you have gone from us too soon! While here your sure did a darn fine job of brightening the lives of everyone around you mine included....
    02-25-2021, 11:52 AM
  • The Baron Passes Over The Bar
    by Photoboy
    Passing of Baron Benjamin de Rothschild, founder and owner of the Gitana Team Saturday, January 16, 2021 - It is with deep regret and great sadness that Gitana Team announces the death of Benjamin de Rothschild following a heart attack at his home in Pregny (Switzerland), on the afternoon of 15 January 2021. The thoughts of the sailors and members of Gitana go out to his wife Ariane de Rothschild and his children, as well as to all his family and loved ones, to whom they extend thei...
    01-16-2021, 11:29 AM
  • A Childhood Fixation Drives Sally Fitzgibbons
    by Photoboy

Kahla Preston writes for Honey.nine.com.au Children often develop intense fixations, and for a young Sally Fitzgibbons it was the Olympic Games. From age five, she would imagine herself in Rocky-style movie montages as she threw herself into various sports. The "weird infatuation" was only cemented when she saw Cathy Freeman win gold at Sydney 2000. "Every time I'd finish running around the block or riding my BMX, I'd be like, 'Coming down the home straight, she's gonna...
    11-10-2020, 11:49 PM
  • A Change Of Course For Gabart
    by Photoboy
    Get to know Ambassador François Gabart Our first Ambassador from France, François Gabart is a skipper, competitor, and engineer currently focused on building a new Ultim (a 100-foot multihull) and opening MerConcept’s new office. Versatile, curious, and hard-working, François revealed his sailing potential with his victory in the Vendée Globe at just 29 years old and has propelled himself to rank amongst the greatest talents in ocean racing. François also values innovation and pr...
    07-31-2020, 08:45 AM
  • What Once Was: Ron Moore Reflects
    by Photoboy

link

Santa Cruz Cinematographer Tim McTighe put together a 9 minute plus video interview with
    Legendary SC boat builder Ron Moore and his reflections on a time gone by...

06-01-2020, 08:55 AM
Working...
X