As soon as we set everything up at camp we headed back out and down the road to the Ship Harbor hike. We took a stroll out to the point and back as the fog kept rolling across the land in waves as it had been doing all day. We followed this hike with a short drive down the road and a walk out to the Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse where we had an enjoyable talk with the lighthouse host about our trip, both prior and future. While sitting there a sailboat came out of the fog, found the navigational aid in front of the lighthouse, made their turn and soon had disappeared back into the fog. I’m not sure if anyone else saw the sailboat the same way we did - a sailor following his compass and gps course while glancing at his chart and possibly his radar. Trying to verify his position before setting off back into the fog bank, avoiding rocks, boats and buoys while being worried about that lobster buoy he can’t see getting wrapped around the prop. What is a beautiful scene, to most people, of a sailboat emerging from the fog for just a moment before disappearing into another bank is one of apprehension for those that have been there - I wished him safe travels as he disappeared into these rocky, narrow waters - and I envied him.

We drove off from the Bass Harbor Head lighthouse and began paying attention to the roadside campfire wood stands and tried to figure out the going rate for what size and type of wood. We’d seen everything from $5 bundles to $2.50 bundles of both hard and soft wood. Some had 5 pieces of medium sized wood, some more, and some just bundles of kindling. Obviously we’ve got some learning to do about this camping thing, so we drove on across the island via a dirt logging road to look at a remote lake before running across a firewood stand that had $2.00 bundles, large bundles of dry wood! Score! So with our wood in the van we made it back to Camp Valley Braden and Jennifer got some dinner going while I got the fire going in the now dense and wet fog. After dinner and darkness set in, the trees began dripping from the moisture in the fog and we decided our first day of camping was done and crawled into our $30 tent, Jennifer, MacIntosh and myself. Our 7’ x 7’ moveable studio - our home for the next 9 days.

Waking up with the sun has become a pattern for us on this trip and we hit the road as soon as breakfast was over and we had struck camp. Monday morning, day 2 of our tent trip and headed straight up Cadillac Mountain on the crisp clear morning. Jennifer had done many childhood trips here but seeing everything as an adult is always an experience. We lucked out and beat the crowds to the top and took in the amazing 360 degree views from the barren dome of the mountain. The fog line was out in the distance, but things looked great for the day. Soon we headed back down and drove around the loop towards Sandy Beach and Thunder Hole. We stopped at Schooner Head and explored the caves before joining the throngs at Sandy Beach, but just for a quick look, then driving on to Thunder Hole.

Thunder Hole is basically a cleft in the rock beach that channels the wave force into its’ end and slams the water into a cup that has developed over the years causing a splash. You have to time the tidal height right and then get out there and be patient, hope for that perfect swell from the right direction. We didn’t get it. We stood out there in the baking sun for an hour, just before optimum tidal height to just after optimum tidal height. I could see how a good swell would create a loud slap and huge spray, but today was not the day for huge swell - it was time to go.