• Battle for the Aquavit

The Queen Christina Nations Cup, the brainchild of one J.C. “Kimo” Mackey (a known 6 meter fanatic), ran this past weekend in Port Madison, Bainbridge Island, Washington (and off around the west side of the island). 6 nations where represented, Switzerland, Finland, Germany, Canada, Great Britain, and the United States.

The QCNC, I'm guessing used for Aquavit???

Kimo came up with the idea for the QCNC while sitting around after a 6 meter regatta with fellow meter guys and gals over, you guessed it, a bottle of Aquavit. For those of you that know what Aquavit is you understand the brilliant ideas it creates, for those of you that don’t, go out to your favorite fisherman’s bar and order up a couple shots and some pickled herring and you’ll understand.

In June 2002, sailors from Puget Sound went to Stockholm to sail in the Gamla Stan team match races, had a great time, on and off the race course, placed second and were extremely impressed with the hospitality shown to them by their Swedish hosts. The concept of the Queen Christina Nations Cup evolved from that fantastic experience and lead to the idea (after a few glasses of Aquavit) that International competition need not be expensive and friendly competition between nations can have many beneficial effects for our class:
    -- Build camaraderie and establish meaningful contact with other fleets and nations
    -- Meet six meter sailors just as passionate about our boats as us
    -- Decreased expense for all involved to sail in other countries on different boats
    -- Better communication through social interaction
    -- Have more fun at a regatta by not having to worry about logistics

(Description copied from kamppi.net/qcnc)

While speaking with Jespersen (a Canadian entrant) and his son’s at PMYC after racing on Saturday I learned that Kimo’s idea of the QCNC has helped invigorate the fleet by creating interest in traveling to different host countries and only needing to bring their gear bag. Boats, sails, and all are provided to the competing teams by the host country. Best of all, Jespersen say’s, is that no local is racing. Local knowledge is, for the most part, taken out of the equation. After looking at the young age of some of the crews I’d say the idea is working wonders. Boats are rotated each day to help offset the differences in designs and ages of the boats and sails. But I’m told that they don’t notice much difference in the speeds of the woodies compared to the plastics at events like this one.

Racing Friday was ran in a smooth 6 knot southerly for races one and two, both of which where around the buoy’s. Race 3 started downwind in about 5 knots and was their distance race through Agate Pass (with the current fortunately) to a finish on the West side of the Island.

The Southerly died while the boats drifted with the current through the lee of the island but just around the corner they where greeted with a small rain squall that piped the wind up and soon each boat had their rail down for the beat under the Agate pass bridge to the finish.

The Boats where then Moored off a host’s house for the night and the competitors where ferried into the beach for the evenings party. I’m guessing a bottle of Aquavit was had at this point...

Saturday dawned it was time to race back through Agate pass before the current changed. As I was sitting on the beach just east of Agate Pass, Saturday morning, explaining to some visitors of mine how cool it was to see the Six’s out racing on Friday, the Six’s started poking their bows around the point one after another to finish back in Port Madison where they had started the day before. What a fun idea, the distance race/overnight stay, for a weekend regatta like this.

2 more races around the buoy’s and it was time to head back into the bay and put the borrowed boats away at the Port Madison Yacht Club. I caught up with the racers back at the YC after the boats where put away. Most where sitting around looking at the boats over beers, all generations present. Each praised Kimo for his idea and enthusiasm over the 6 meters. They talked of boats in people’s back yard’s that need to be upgraded and gotten out racing and they looked forward to another year in their favorite boat. As a Moore24 owner I was amazed at the similarities in the enthusiasm for the old boat and the camaraderie of the sailors.

And the Results; Canada tied for first with Switzerland - winning the tie breaker. 1st went to Canada (15 points), Second went to Switzerland (15 points), Third went to Great Britain (16 points), Fourth went to Germany (18 points) and Fifth went to Finland (26 points) [all points are corrected after extracting the Port Huron United States boats points. Host country is not allowed to compete for the Cup. The US boat actually got 1st in the regatta]

This is their Deed of Gift;

19 December, 2003
    Whereas - It is our wish to establish an Event which enables a large number of International Six Meter Class "fanatics" to travel internationally and to engage in friendly competition (note emphasis on "friendly" with no particular emphasis on "competition"). And furthermore it is our wish that the countries participating do all in their power to make this opportunity, over time, available to as many of their countrymen/countrywomen as possible. Even further still, it is our fervent hope that this event will enable people to develop friendships which cross international borders and serve to promote the future growth of the International Six Meter Class.
    Therefore - Know All Men and Women by these presents, That I, J.C. (Kimo) Mackey, for the express purpose of encouraging International Six Meter yachting, and especially in the friendly contests between six meter sailors of the "World Family", do hereby present this Queen Christina Nations Cup delivered herewith to be held, coveted, carried and sailed for under the following Conditions:

More information on the Queen Christina Cup can be found at http://kamppi.net/qcnc/

More photo's can be found HERE. If you would like the large size of any of these Photo's please email me with the image number @ ballardsailor@aol.com

More information on the North American 6 Meter’s can be found at http://www.6mrnorthamerica.com/