Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fototaker
    replied
    great shots!! i am envious! by time i had biked to ATT park from NB, i just happened to see them in the distance, but nothing was happening. i snapped a pix as they returned to the pier and that was it.

Leave a comment:

• Photoboy
    replied

Oracle had a WAY early start...began chasing them at 11:30. They had exited the team base at Pier 39
    and progressed south as far as Oyster Point, the headed east towards the East Bay, the began sailing NW
    towards the Bay Bridge and began to heat it up, when the starboard dagger board blew.

Pics below are the aftermath before the team folded up shop and headed back to the barn.

Leave a comment:

• fototaker
    replied
    AC72 - 31 Aug 2012

biked out to the pier and got a few pixs. took too long a lens so here's a stitch of three pixs after they returned early. that monster-babe is HUGE!!!! can't wait till they take her out north of the bay bridge so i can see it without biking!!

wasn't able to upload a foto here, so adding a link

Leave a comment:

• fototaker
    replied
    fab sequence-capture of the capsize!! i was at a different location and missed it completely. grrrrr but YOU got it! about to take a walk to see if i can spot the USA17 if it takes more than a little sail. looking for my gloves and cleaning cloth for my glass!!

Leave a comment:

• Prince of Whales
    replied
    Friggen cool stuff. Jimmy Spithill is one lucky kid.

Leave a comment:

• PD Staff
    replied

A couple photos from today's test tow about the Bay.

Leave a comment:

• PD Staff
    replied
    She Splashes!

ORACLE TEAM USA's first AC72 is wheeled from the build shed into the light. After a day of testing and a brief but all-important christening, she touches San Francisco Bay for her very first journey.

Leave a comment:

• PD Staff
    replied
    Stepping The Oracle AC 72 Wing

The first dry-fit of the 12 story-high wingsail on the platform of the ORACLE TEAM USA’s AC72 boat was completed at Pier 80 today.

The AC72, the first of two yachts to be used in the 2013 Defender Trials and America’s Cup, saw the hook-up of the myriad electrical, mechanical and hydraulic systems as the engineers, boatbuilders and designers worked through the extensive ‘pre-flight’ check-list.

The complex process of commissioning the AC72 is continuing, but because of the scale of the project and inevitable uncertainties, the team has decided to delay the Media Day until after the Labor Day weekend. The date and details will be confirmed early next week.

Leave a comment:

• PD Staff
    replied

ETNZ Team performance and systems analyst Luc Du Bois uses a bit
    of kiwi ingenuity to calibrate the AC72's wind instruments prior
    to the next days sailing on Auckland's Hauraki Gulf.

ENTZ's AC 72 pushing the limits with curved daggers and "L"s

Leave a comment:

• BobJ
    replied
    madeya'look

Leave a comment:

• BobJ
    replied
    "ORACLE" is painted on the wing backwards. Compare to the 45's, plus it looks funny.

Leave a comment:

• Rainier
    replied
    Uuummmmmm, Holy Shit Batman! That is badass!

Leave a comment:

• Guitar
    replied

Been coined, Batzilla.

Leave a comment:

• bowline
    replied
    Looking forward to seeing this beauty under wing.

I expect this will be very closely watched by the competition, as early indications are it is a unique design.

Wonder if LE will name it "Death Star", but maybe that name was reserved for EB

Leave a comment:

• Photoboy
    replied

Swung by the old pier just after noon yesterday, not much happening, and late (5:00) saw ETNZ motoring away,
    guess they were busy before and after lunch!

all images© Guilain GRENIER / ORACLE TEAM USA

Leave a comment:

Working...
X