Artemis Racing SF Bay 1st Sail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artemis Racing SF Bay 1st Sail

Artemis Racing finally got to sail their new 72' Cat today, November 13, 2012. With
    crisp clear air and a very gentle breeze, they confined their activities to south of the
    Bay Bridge. Gentle does it..

In winds in the 3-4 knot range, the big cat glided easily in the 5-6 knot range, her Shepard of chase boat keeping a vigilant eye on would be spies from other syndicates. The light airs provided a goo opportunity to check the system without
    putting too much stress on the gear..

All systems look good and with the breeze building to near 10 knots, with jib only up the big cat appeared read y to pounce. But just as it seemed like were ready to witness take off, they suddenly slowed down, and a mass gathered at the starboard
    hull just aft of daggerboard. The slow inspection was on for some time and the port side was also inspected.

No need for excessive stress after recent events

The big cat was then towed at speeds in the 12-14 knot range, in what appeared to be additional load testing, and when that particular exercise was complete, she was unleased for some free sailing. Se was sailing well again toward weather, with about 8 knot of pressure and went into a bear away, when once again all fun was halted for some additional inspection... Such is life but better safe than sorry. I suspect every clunk, clang bang or groan may induce panic in the the troops until proven otherwise.

Back tracking at this stage would be very painful!

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

PB,

Very nice!

You da MAN!!!!!

-3D

Comment

your fotos are fantastic!! i knew you'd be out thar but by time i finished my errands and got anywhere to see them, they were finished and gliding to home base, and your boat wasn't seen at all. did you catch the two Oracle AC45s in enemy territory? hahahaa

Comment

Originally posted by fototaker View Post
        your fotos are fantastic!! i knew you'd be out thar but by time i finished my errands and got anywhere to see them, they were finished and gliding to home base, and your boat wasn't seen at all. did you catch the two Oracle AC45s in enemy territory? hahahaa

The Stache is BACK for Movember

Comment

sees Terry H has on his goPro, can't wait for the video to be released!!

Comment

Originally posted by fototaker View Post
            sees Terry H has on his goPro, can't wait for the video to be released!!
            Me either, but most of that stuff is for the engineers to examine and look at in house. Will never see the light of day!

The most interesting thing about yesterdays shoot was seeing the 3 element wing actually function.

It's a VERY complicated piece of gear, and something the team most be very, very proud of.

If it functions properly, and doesn't break, it should give Artemis a distinct advantage in windy conditions and allow the to trim
            more effectively going to weather and off wind. I'm no engineer, but my guess is they should be able to sail deeper and in windier conditions
            by allowing more twist off the wing. ETNZ is dominating in straight line speed, but Artremis might have the advantage when it comes to sailing
            the course layed out for the America's Cup. Provided nothing breaks!

This might explain why Artemis has been so long in getting the wing repaired and working.

Spoke with Mike Martin and John Craig from ACRM, and they indicated that there won't be any course reconfiguration to accommodate
            straight line speed. They also mentioned that they collectively looked at the tides for the scheduled Louis Vuitton and A-Cup date and they
            are all meek compared to the October 16th date which devoured US 17.(Big sigh of relief) Now the team practice dates could be an entirely different animal.
            I would guess the South Bay will become a very popular training ground any time the scheduled ebb rises above 3.5 knots...

Comment

^
              Did you notice a center steering station?

Comment

Negative, just grinders centered, look like PC and TH are in opposite cockpits in this image.

Comment

Originally posted by Photoboy View Post
                  Me either, but most of that stuff is for the engineers to examine and look at in house. Will never see the light of day!

The most interesting thing about yesterdays shoot was seeing the 3 element wing actually function.

It's a VERY complicated piece of gear, and something the team most be very, very proud of.

If it functions properly, and doesn't break, it should give Artemis a distinct advantage in windy conditions and allow the to trim
                  more effectively going to weather and off wind. I'm no engineer, but my guess is they should be able to sail deeper and in windier conditions
                  by allowing more twist off the wing. ETNZ is dominating in straight line speed, but Artremis might have the advantage when it comes to sailing
                  the course layed out for the America's Cup. Provided nothing breaks!

This might explain why Artemis has been so long in getting the wing repaired and working.

Spoke with Mike Martin and John Craig from ACRM, and they indicated that there won't be any course reconfiguration to accommodate
                  straight line speed. They also mentioned that they collectively looked at the tides for the scheduled Louis Vuitton and A-Cup date and they
                  are all meek compared to the October 16th date which devoured US 17.(Big sigh of relief) Now the team practice dates could be an entirely different animal.
                  I would guess the South Bay will become a very popular training ground any time the scheduled ebb rises above 3.5 knots...
                  Very good deduction, two very different solutions to the complex AC 72 problem.

Comment

i really think the SF-winds will play a HUGE factor in the way an AC72 fares in the SF AC-races. granted ETNZ has been having nothing but success but that's open-ocean winds... not a gale wind situation as it is here. i'd love to see what happens when she's in SF bay... how will she behave?
                    PB: your note about the helmet-mounted goPro video being NOT for "our" eyes is very interesting and would explain WHY i haven't ever seen a video from his perspective/position. fab images ~ going to have to teach my scooter how to swim (once i learn too)!!!

Comment

A current Artemis siting off the city front - very light winds.

Comment

Here
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oddly, the San Mateo Coast was lighting up this afternoon...

Comment

"She Swims!"

Comment

Latest from Sander Van der Borch from today!

Comment

Working...
                              X