Which superyachts are in town?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which superyachts are in town?

I'm wondering which superyachts have made it to San Francisco for the cup racing.

I saw Adele out (absolutely gorgeous), and there's a large motor boat stern tied at the cup village area, with what might be one of the perini navi boats moored alongside closer to shore. Anyone have pictures or know of the other big boats that are here or coming into town?

Partly the interest is to gauge what might have become of the idea to hold a 'superyacht regatta' in between cup races. With 3 or 4 boats, one of which is a power boat, there isn't going to be a large fleet - but they are interesting boats.

- rob/beetle

This is Imagine and another Kiwi boat behind it at Pier 30-32
    two of the big boats at Pier 27 are Larry E's, Asahi and Musashi (the motor yacht)

Tim did a nice job shooting the AC Park here ----> http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/s...p?3321-AC-Park

Unclear which of the super yachts will "race" but there are more on the way!

May be some big tri/cat action in the mix as well!
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Comment

it WILL be something to see BUT will Larry's RV actually participate too? i wuz thinking it'd be sail vessels, not motorized water RVs

Comment

A few more showed up at Pier 27 I'll get the names in a tad... the 2nd boat at 30-32 is Bertreilli's, Imagine is a kiwi supporter of ETNZ...

Comment

Chrisco is the latest sailing vessel arrival. The dockmaster indicated there would be 14 "Super Yachts" at Pier 30-32 and others scattered about the Bay
          from Sausalito to Richmond to the South Bay and other docks on Embarcadero . John Craig said there were 6 boats confirmed for the race but they expect
          more to participate. Asahi's crew was not sure if they were or weren't...

Comment

The Latest Superyacht To Arrive

Sailing journalist and Sea Cliff boat voyuer, Kimball Livingston reports sighting 140' "Hetairos" now plying SF Bay waters!

The 66.9m sailing yacht Hetairos built under the project name Panamax has been launched by Baltic Yachts.
            67m Sailing yacht Hetairos (ex project Panamax) launched by Baltic Yachts The modern classic ketch Hetairos boasts a distinctive appearance with an aggressive, near-plumb bow and a very long stern overhang, reminiscent of the British pilot cutters that sailed the seas in the mid- to late- 1800s

"Hetairos modern classic yacht has a hull built out of High Tech Carbon with pre-impregnated carbon skins and Corecell and Nomex Core. The light weight and stiff construction of the hull, her deck made of carbon prepreg with a Nomex core as well as an emphasis on a lightweight interior all helps to provide weight savings which is expected to help her to attain an impressive sailing performance, especially when married with her deep lifting keel for extra upwind pointing.

Accommodation onboard superyacht Hetairos boasts a large Owner's suite found aft of the mizzen mast with a skylight providing impressive straight up the mizzen mast and four guests cabins for total of up to 10 guests. Ten crew members are accommodated in four crew cabins and one Captain's cabin."

The impressive fast ketch rigged sailing superyacht Hetairos was referred to as Panamax when under construction which relates to the maximum mast height that can pass through Panama Canal which is 62.5m. The megayacht measures 66.9m overall with a waterline length of 49.8 m and a beam of 10.5 m. Despite her epic proportions, she has been designed provide an impressive performance overall. The Yacht owner wanted to build a yacht with a classic look that was the largest and fastest possible yacht that would still be capable of crossing the Panama Canal.

The Hetairos (Panamax) modern classic yacht has a hull built out of High Tech Carbon with pre-impregnated carbon skins and Corecell and Nomex Core. The light weight and stiff construction of the hull, her deck made of carbon prepreg with a Nomex core as well as an emphasis on a lightweight interior all helps to provide weight savings which is expected to help her to attain an impressive sailing performance, especially when married with her deep lifting keel for extra upwind pointing

There is a really nice article about Hetairos Here!

Above photos © www.boatinternational.com

photo © www.superyacttimes.com
            Last edited by Photoboy; 09-06-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

"Janice of Wyoming" is currently in Sausalito - 130 foot cruising yacht, worth around 40 to 50 million maybe.
              Sorry, no image to attach but there are lots online.

Comment

http://americascupsuperyachtregatta.com/entries/

Super Yachts not looking so super. Just 3 boats racing and one is the replica America.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of Whales View Post
                  http://americascupsuperyachtregatta.com/entries/

Super Yachts not looking so super. Just 3 boats racing and one is the replica America.
                  Thanks for the update. I went and read the sailing instructions for their event, they are a lot more concerned with collision avoidance than your average boat race! It also looks like all the boats listed are sailing, not just the ones labeled 'racing'.

Race entry fee is $10,000 per boat (waived if you spent a lot more than that to berth your boat at the Cup docks), there are 2 classes: Racing and Exhibition.

Each boat has a Safety Officer primarily concerned with collision avoidance, and RC is issuing a laser range finder to each boat (to be returned after the regatta).

Boats start at 4 minute intervals, slowest boats out first. My guess is the Safety Officer's job is to make sure a faster boat stays well away from a slower boat as they pass.

There's also a big note to ask competitors to keep their motors and thrusters running and available (in neutral) to be used in the case of collision avoidance; if you do use them during the race, note the fact, continue racing, and file your note with RC after the race.

Another interesting feature is the man overboard: if someone falls off, they want the chase boat to pick that person up and return them to the racing yacht (or not, up to the yacht) - they do not want the yacht's trying to turn around and recover people from the water. I suspect each yacht will have a tender following along behind just to pick up anything that falls off.

The SIs are here:
                  http://americascupsuperyachtregatta....inal-09-05.pdf

I'm trying to imagine how all that might work for, say, an HDA race on the bay. Think of all the dinghy's charging around, each one after their own boat. That would complicate mark roundings, eh? Does the chase dinghy enter the mark rounding with the same rights as the sailboat they are chasing?

- rob/beetle

Comment

I'm trying to imagine how all that might work for, say, an HDA race on the bay. Think of all the dinghy's charging around, each one after their own boat. That would complicate mark roundings, eh? Does the chase dinghy enter the mark rounding with the same rights as the sailboat they are chasing?
                    I'm thinking, using the same time/space continuum, why not make it a free for all with the supporting chase boats getting points or time off their teams overall elapsed ore corrected
                    time for bodies recovered, regardless of affiliation with said recovering vessel? Could add a new dimension to the sport, and make it more exciting and the strategies of MOB could mimmick
                    flopping in soccer or the NBA!

Comment

Hetairos is actually 67m long...I think that's about 215' overall. I got a very close up look at her...we Baltic customers stick together. Absolutely spectacular bit of carbon fiber. BTW, you do not want to be standing on the dock alongside when she engages the midships thruster.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Light Beer View Post
                        I'm thinking, using the same time/space continuum, why not make it a free for all with the supporting chase boats getting points or time off their teams overall elapsed ore corrected
                        time for bodies recovered, regardless of affiliation with said recovering vessel? Could add a new dimension to the sport, and make it more exciting and the strategies of MOB could mimmick
                        flopping in soccer or the NBA!
                        I like your thinking. It would become a strategy to decide when to fall off your boat (reduce weight as necessary for downwind legs), and introduces the possibility of knocking crewmembers off an opponents boat at an opportune moment for your chase boat (not theirs) to recover their crew. Might be additional scoring for most crew picked up, kind of like capture the flag - you win when you have all the other guy's crew in your dinghy.

- rob/beetle

Comment

Sounds more like a parade than anything else. Do they have wind limits too?

If this was the Med or Caribbean, there would be dozens competing. Why aren't the other superyachts tied up at Pier 30-32 or 27 entered?

Bring back The Falcon!

Comment

Super Yachts

The two boats at Pier 30-32

Thalia

Fast, graceful and luxurious, Thalia a 48.5 metre (159 ft) ketch provides the ultimate sailing experience. Designed by Ron Holland for extensive ocean-voyaging to the remotest parts of the world, she offers a high level of reliability and self-sufficiency. Thalia’s low profile and carefully designed seating areas allow unobstructed views in combination with a feeling of closeness to the sea that is remarkable for a yacht of this size.

Imagine

For the first time ; The well known New Zealand built Super yacht “IMAGINE” is available for purchase. Presently situated in Palma Mallorca; With a VAT “paid” status, she represents an unequalled opportunity, particularly for the European Buyer, to start cruising straight away.

Renown in the industry for her impeccable maintenance history and upkeep, along with a build pedigree from Alloy Yachts International of New Zealand, she is completely fitted out and ready to go sailing. She has recently had a full standing rigging refit in accordance with OYS rigging manufacturers recommendations to an “as new” status as of April 2012; and has had brand new main and headsail fitted for the summer along with full interior refit by Loro Piana.

Further pages of this site will give you an in depth preview of “IMAGINE” where you can also download a full detailed specification of the yacht.

http://www.yacht-imagine.com/www.yac...Home_page.html

Comment

Super Yachts at Pier 27

Athena

Citing “big changes” in his life, the Netscape and Silicon Graphics founder and Silicon Valley icon is leaving behind his life at sea and selling his two prized sailing yachts, the 136-foot Hanuman and the 295-foot Athena. The 68-year-old Clark, a returnee to this year’s World’s Billionaires List due to some smart investments in Apple, says he’s decided to sell his boats to settle down at his new home in New York with his 8-month-old daughter and wife, former Australian model Kristy Hinze.

I’ve “been around the world twice and really don’t like the [Mediterranean-Caribbean] circuit,” he told FORBES in an e-mail. “After 28 years of owning boats, I’m over it.”

Adele

Adèle is ketch rigged (two masts, with the aft mast shorter than the mainmast forward) and is, through wind tunnel testing, designed to be sailed both upwind and downwind with both genoa and staysail, and both main and mizzen. The two masts provide an ability to carry a substantial sail area downwind without either exaggerating the risks or the size of the crew. It has been the choice of several large superyachts lately like Marie Cha, Windrose, Salperton and Borkumriff IV.

A sloop-rigged yacht would also have had a mast that would be too tall to fit underneath the Bridge of the Americas (the Panama Canal Bridge). This was an important consideration for having two masts.

We have elected to have only one engine to minimize the weight and to centralize the weight on the keel. One propeller gives much less drag and is more protected behind the keel and a single engine takes up much less space in the engine room. Reliability during long voyages has been met by selecting a very reliable proven engine (Caterpillar 3412E DITTA -1000 hp) and by carrying a considerable amount of spare parts.

Kealoha

"Kealoha" is the first of a Truly Classic 90 series built by Claasen Jachtbouw. she is the 16th Hoek yacht built there.

In addition to twin cockpits and deckhouses, this deep ocean family cruiser racer has separate quarters forward for two crew. We think this is the most interior volume we have ever designed in a 90 ft classic hull, with an aft owner’s cabin, a full-height engine room, a good lounge area with open plan galley and impressive guest cabins.

The layout will work very well for a family boat that can be sailed by her American owners, with crew maintaining the boat and sailing her when chartered.

"Kealoha" won the 2007 "International Superyacht Design Award" in the category 24-40 m.

Asahi

Asahi is a 56m (183'8"ft) sail yacht built by
                              Perini Navi Group and launched in 2009. Ron Holland Design is responsible for her superior engineering and elegant interior design. The yacht's interior has been designed by Ron Holland Design.

This luxury yacht has an aluminium hull a beam of 11.51m (37'9"ft) and a 9.73m (31'11"ft) draft.Asahi is built to comply to MCA and A.B.S. Malta Cross A1 AMS Yachting Service standards.

Asahi Accommodation

Asahi offers accommodation for up to 10 guests in 5 suites. She is also capable of carrying up to 7 crew onboard to ensure a relaxed luxury yacht experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X