The Mini Movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mini Movement

With 3 mini transats on the line for the OYRA Crewed Lightship, with one absentee,
    there appears to be a West Coast movement that bigger isn't always better...more to follow!

Attached Files
    Last edited by Photoboy; 03-25-2010, 08:52 PM.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Most people don't realize how mini these minis really are.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Photoboy; 03-25-2010, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Photoboy View Post
      [ATTACH]162[/ATTACH]

Most people don't realize how mini these minis are.
      That's many a many mini.

Comment

Not a mini, but close
        Pressure-drop.us ~It's not the size of the website, it's how you use it! ~

Comment

Bigger than a mini, some with more hulls than a mini, more crew than a mini, sans the cool sound track, so you'll have to play your own.

It's a recession, what d'ya expect?

Comment

why pretend when the real thing is better?

s.

Comment

soon to be another once john saul's hits the water.

and great to see cal maritime's john gray (also a 14er) sailing with emma

Comment

Daisy Cutter's Sean McGinn talks about his Mini Transat

I bought my boat, a modified Zero series boat, in December 2007 from Jan Brandt in Seattle. We drove the boat down to San Francisco in January 2008 and had her sailing in February in a Corinthian mid-winter.

My original goal was to find a boat for the Single-handed Transpac and I began looking in early 2007. I wanted a fast, affordable boat in good shape that would require minimum amounts of refit due to my work schedule. Initially, I was looking at Olsen 30's, Tripp 30's, Hobie 33's. I literally stumbled across the Mini-Transat race that was taking place that summer and began following it online. I found the performance of the boats quite fascinating, both in terms of the "amount" of boat in a 21 footer as well as the seaworthiness of the design and construction. Though I had not seen a Mini 650 yet, I suddenly found myself scouring the online world for used boats in the US. When I found USA 530 in Seattle, I booked a flight and like an impulse buy, when I saw her, I knew right away that I would buy this boat. The more I learned about the boat sitting inside the cabin with Jan during a freak Seattle snow-storm, the more I liked what I heard. The learning curve and learning opportunity in this platform was what appealed to me the most. You either have to be very handy with epoxy, electronics, wiring, etc...or have enough income to pay the yard for major maintenance items. Most Mini owners fall into the former category and are largely self-reliant. I'm somewhere in the middle and striving to become more self-sufficient in order to acquire the skills.

Another reason I bought the Mini, a short-handed sailing vessel, was because I had spent 10 years racing J105's around the race track. I love buoy racing, but felt it was time to branch out. After doing the Vic-Maui and a delivery back from Hawaii, ocean sailing was calling, and again, the Mini seemed to fit the bill - literally and figuratively. Sailing a Mini requires a complete mental shift away from buoy racing. No roller-furling, an overpowered main that should be reefed early, multiple headsails, a code zero, running backs, etc...short-handed ocean racing requires a very thorough approach both for practical as well as safety reasons.

I missed the entire 2009 sailing season due to neck surgery, so my plans are somewhat modest at the moment. I need more time in the boat so I have a full schedule planned for all of the local single and double-handed ocean races out of San Francisco this year. The PacCup is still a possibility, but I am trying to convince my favorite crewmate to join me for the double-handed effort. He's over 6 feet tall, so I think the diminutive nature of the Mini is scaring him off a bit. We'll see.

The only other boat I have owned previously, and currently own, is a Laser. Both boats like to plane and jibes in the breeze require lots of practice

Thanks Sean,

we'll be posting pics and love stories of additional Minis as they trickle in!

Comment

I wants me a mini

Comment

Transat Surfin!

Comment

Mike Moore, Flying Ace

IN OUR ongoing series of profiles of Mini Transat and 5.70 owners who have recently joined the avalanche of interest in these European fun machines, we present Mike Moore, owner of Flying Ace, and gather his input on the West Coast Mini Movement

“I have mini #305 “Flying Ace” (named for my wife and daughter’s favorite character!) It’s a 2000/2001 Pierre Rolland Proto. She has a canting keel, and originally had water ballast, but that has been removed (the boat can achieve the max allowed heel angle with the keel alone.) I’m the 3rd owner, the original owner built her for and raced in the mini-transat. Then she was purchased by another local bay area racer who I purchased her from in November of 2008. I had just taken some time off work and had plans to do lots of racing, managed to do the 2009 SSS In The Bay Race before getting sucked back in to a high tech startup and not doing much at all with the boat until the 2009 SSS In the Bay Race (ironically, went the wrong way around in both of those, DNF’s in 2008, finished in 2009 but a couple hours behind the minis that went the other way.)”

“I’ve dreamed of racing a mini for some time. I got my start on a Soling in the late 80’s in SF, moved up to a Sabre 36 and then a J-44. I did the 1990 Pacific Cup, which got me hooked on ocean racing. I’ve gone cruising in the Caribbean and Mexico on larger, slower, cruising boats with my wife and done much of the actual sailing singlehanded, which got me hooked on sailing alone. My cruising was on Hallberg-Rassy’s (HR-42 and HR-46) which are fabulous cruising boats. I did a number of SSS race on my HR-46 when we got back from the Caribbean in the late 90’s. I remember a brutal single-handed Farallones race that had a lot of lighter boats dropping out, but the HR (with a hard dodger and rock-solid autopilot) made for an enjoyable ride. Of course, it took 30-40 knots of wind to get any real speed out of the boat. So after cruising, we sold the HR and I raced on an Antrim 27 and that got me hooked on boats that plane. Although I’d love to have an Open 40 or Open 50, the Mini is much more manageable from all aspects (storing, maintaining, funding, etc.) I knew the prior owner of 305 and when he decided to put her up for sale, I jumped at the opportunity. “

“For now it’s mostly bay and OYRA shorthanded racing. I prefer single-handing, although I’ve been doing a lot of double-handing as I learn the boat. At some point down the road, I’d love to race to Hawaii singlehanded, but with work and a 4 year old at home, that might be a while off. It’s great having the other three active boats to race against, it’ll be lonely if they all end up racing to Hawaii without me this summer. “

Thanks Mike, we look forward to hearing from additional 5.70 and mini owners as the series continues!

Comment

So glad to see more photos of 305. We were in San Francisco for the Oakland boat show and again later that same month for the Great Vallejo Race. We spotted 305 on its trailer at Alameda Marine and could not stop to look at the boat. As the new U.S. builder of the production mini 6.50 POGO 2, we are excited to see minis every place we go.

During the Great Vallejo race, while sailing our Open 5.70, we talked to Erik from ho2shots.com and he mentioned this thread on his forum. He welcomed us to post some news on the POGO 2 being built in the USA so for those of you who might be interested, you can read more on our NEWS site but we will also do our best to reply to inquiries from this forum and keep the news as LIVE as we can!
                        Production wise, the tooling for the POGO 2 just left France, a bit later than expected. The molds are due to arrive at the end of June and we will start production right away. The composites director from POGO STRUCTURES (the French builder) will be there to assist us in building the first POGO 2 and we should be able to splash the boat for the first time before August is behind us. We might actually start production of two boats at the time since we already have new owners signed up for the POGO 2. Realistically, it will probably take about one month per boat at first and as we get better at it, we should be able to push two boats out of the builder yard if the demand is there. Key to grow the class is to get the boats out and get the sailors to race and practice. We can't wait!

Stay in the loop. Our latest news about the POGO 2 is online with more photos of the boat (interior) and also two photos taken 2 days ago, with the tooling ready to be shipped out from the french builder

Cheers
                        Jerome Sammarcelli
                        Open 5.70 "Semi-Aquatic" USA 275
                        Open 6.50 "Chupacabra" FRA 007
                        and Future Pogo 2 owner

Comment

Some Mini Info

Welcome Jerome!

Some cool info on the mini 650 Class:

http://www.minitransat650.com/index.htm

http://www.minitransat650.com/html/boats.html

http://www.minitransat650.com/html/design.html

Comment

Mini 6.50s in the Mini Pavois 2010

http://minipavois2010-uk.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Photoboy View Post

Most people don't realize how mini these minis really are.
                              Ha!

Comment

Working...
                              X