Black Jack Readies For Record Attempts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Jack Readies For Record Attempts

Following design modifications by Reichel/Pugh and McConaghy Boats to the new Black Jack’s hull, appendages and sail plan, the Land Rover Sydney Gold Coast Yacht Race in nine days will be their first critical test and tune up for the 2017 Sydney/Hobart. Behind the scenes, Peter Harburg’s Black Jack campaign, headed by Mark Bradford and Alex Nolan, is putting in thousands of hours of detailed preparation for the Rolex Sydney Hobart in December.

images©Andrea Francolini

Black Jack IV is the former Alfa Romeo II, launched in 2005 was the 1st to finish in 2009 Transpac, where she also set the monohull elapsed time record broken just this year by Comanche!

Alfa Romeo II is a "Reichel/Pugh 100" design measuring 30.48*m (100.0*ft) overall.She features a 44*m (144*ft) carbon fibre mast built by Southern Spars, water ballast, and a canting keel. She is thought to be capable of 35 knots (40*mph; 60*km/h) downwind in a fresh breeze. Some of the boat's systems are operated via PLCs, automatically stepping up engine speed as power is required to operate the hydraulic ram actuating the canting keel, or disengaging the propeller when it is retracted into the hull to reduce drag.

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Wonder what they did aside from nice paint job to make her more competitive?

Comment

Cue the "Midnight Rambler" from the Rolling Stones...
      " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Comment

Working...
      X