Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 3rd Time's The Charm?

Team spirit

Life for Holcim – PRB IMOCA skipper Kevin Escoffier has been moving at a frenetic pace since this August the 42-year-old French yachtsman announced his return to The Ocean Race for the third time.

Escoffier had originally planned his campaign around competing singlehanded in the Vend?e Globe 2024, but when his commercial partner – the French building products company PRB – was purchased by the Swiss multinational organisation Holcim, the opportunity to add The Ocean Race to his schedule presented itself.

Holcim was already committed to promoting its sustainability message around the world and had funded Circular Explorer – a 100 percent solar-powered catamaran in the Philippines designed to recover and recycle plastic from the world’s oceans and rivers.

The company quickly recognised the potential for PRB’s partnership with Escoffier – part of the French organisation’s 30-year commitment to sailing and ocean racing in particular – to help amplify their circular economy messaging via an entry in The Ocean Race 2022-23.

“They have a strong passion for their cause and they believe – like me – that racing around the world is a very good way to motivate people and to communicate a message,” Escoffier said.

“We have named our sailing project GO CIRCULAR. That fits perfectly with the two big races I will do in the next three years: The Ocean Race and the Vend?e Globe – both around-the-world.”

Having been a part of the winning Dongfeng Race Team in The Ocean Race 2017-18 – a victory that came after he placed third with the same team in the 2014-15 edition – Escoffier believes he knows a few things about taking on the challenge of racing fully-crewed around the world.

“The decision to take part in The Ocean Race happened a little over two and a half months ago. There has been a lot of logistics involved in preparing the boat and the whole team has been involved in the process and we have had to grow in order to do everything properly.”

Escoffier had originally planned his campaign around competing singlehanded in the Vend?e Globe 2024, but when his commercial partner – the French building products company PRB – was purchased by the Swiss multinational organisation Holcim, the opportunity to add The Ocean Race to his schedule presented itself.

Holcim was already committed to promoting its sustainability message around the world and had funded Circular Explorer – a 100 percent solar-powered catamaran in the Philippines designed to recover and recycle plastic from the world’s oceans and rivers.

The company quickly recognised the potential for PRB’s partnership with Escoffier – part of the French organisation’s 30-year commitment to sailing and ocean racing in particular – to help amplify their circular economy messaging via an entry in The Ocean Race 2022-23.

“They have a strong passion for their cause and they believe – like me – that racing around the world is a very good way to motivate people and to communicate a message,” Escoffier said.

“We have named our sailing project GO CIRCULAR. That fits perfectly with the two big races I will do in the next three years: The Ocean Race and the Vend?e Globe – both around-the-world.”

Having been a part of the winning Dongfeng Race Team in The Ocean Race 2017-18 – a victory that came after he placed third with the same team in the 2014-15 edition – Escoffier believes he knows a few things about taking on the challenge of racing fully-crewed around the world.

“The decision to take part in The Ocean Race happened a little over two and a half months ago. There has been a lot of logistics involved in preparing the boat and the whole team has been involved in the process and we have had to grow in order to do everything properly.”

https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/news/13120_Team-spirit
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery
Working...
X