No announcement yet.

Maserati vs Mari Cha

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Maserati vs Mari Cha

    Thursday May 10 1600 GMT time position. Mari Cha in yellow, Maserati in red

    "Well this is definitely not a slam dunk of a situation but I guess this is one of sailings most prestigious records and we are trying to beat a very fast pace set by Mari Cha IV. Here is the current situation. Firstly, we have embraced a much different approach from a weather strategy point of view. Mari Cha left New York behind a cold front on NW winds that carried them much of the way to England before they had to tack on a high pressure area for the last third of the attempt. This meant that they were on a fast Port reach until tacking to starboard and then allowing the wind to free them back to a starboard reach for the final approach to England. The opportunity that presented itself to us is the opposite. We left New York ahead of and arriving cold front on Southerly winds that should carry us much of the way and then we will need to Gybe onto port gybe and hook into a low to the north which will push us to the finish. Both theories work well but we need the wind to stay steady and it has been a bit lighter than forecast for the first number of hours of the voyage."

    "The other point of significance is that we are doing our attempt in the spring instead of the fall which means spring icebergs South and East of Newfoundland. I will talk more about icebergs in tomorrows blog as that will definitely be on the front of our brains for the following day. Today however is all about trying to stay in the best wind strength possible as the forecast 22 kts has been elusive and we are currently in wonderful tight reaching conditions of 17 kts. Normally lovely, but not the crazy record breaking conditions we need. So fingers crossed for the big noisy show that Maserati is so gifted at."

    "Life onboard is getting chilly and is wet, but nothing like when we get to sail through the north atlantic cocktail in a couple of days. I cant decide if that cocktail should be served with crushed or full size ice cubes but neither sounds very good to me at the moment and I happen to know that a mixture is on order."

    Ciao for now from Brad and the Maserati Boys! ~It's not the size of the website, it's how you use it! ~

  • #2
    Maserati Jumps Out to a 190 nm Lead!

    New York (May 11, 2012) - At 12.36 GMT (08.36 EDT) Maserati is flying at a speed of 23 knots, taking an advantage of 190 miles on Mari Cha IV, the 140 foot maxi yacht that set the New York-Lizard Point speed record in 2003.

    Giovanni Soldini and his international crew of seven are facing floating icebergs and freezing 5° Celsius waters off the Newfoundland coast. Due to these severe conditions, the navigation is really challenging.

    On board Maserati, Giovanni Soldini explains: "We will shortly be sailing in the iceberg zone and we will be out of it in about 130 miles. The water temperature is currently at 5° Celsius. For safety reasons we have decided to slow down a little. We have been forced to follow a northerly route that takes us through the floating icebergs because the Azores high pressure is really far north. We will sail up to 49°N and then head towards Lizard Point. Both Maserati and the crew are doing great and we are really pleased with the advantage we have on Mari Cha IV. The next hours are crucial. We will keep our eyes wide open."

    Maserati left New York on May 9 at 7.20 GMT (3.20 EDT) to try and break the New York - Lizard Point speed record set by Mari Cha IV that sailed the route in 6 days, 17 hours, 52 minutes and 39 seconds. Today at 12.36 GMT Maserati still has to sail 1,862 miles. ~It's not the size of the website, it's how you use it! ~