Another Ultim Deviates To Cape Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Ultim Deviates To Cape Town

Rudder damage for Eric Peron (ULTIM ADAGIO)

At 0413hrs UTC this morning, Eric Peron the solo skipper of ULTIM ADAGIO, which is racing in sixth place on the ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest, warned his technical team and race direction that his starboard rudder system has been damaged. According to his team the boat is no longer properly controllable without the complete rudder system and without a spare helm link on board it would not be reasonable to enter the Indian Ocean.

Peron is heading to Cape Town in South Africa, where he should reach this Sunday.
    The ULTIM ADAGIO had been going well positioned some 450 miles from the Cape of Good Hope. In a press release sent by his team, Peron says “I had been gybing southwards for two hours to stay ahead of the cold front with which I had been going well on for the last two days”.
    “My windward rudder must have hit something on the surface it twisted and broke the link arm. I am going at a reduced speed but the rudder is no longer under control. The bar is completely separated from the rudder."
    Peron gybed back this morning to head towards Cape Town. He was sailing in a west-northwest flow and he should cross a light wind zone tomorrow Saturday. He should reach Cape Town on Sunday morning. His team says they plan to repair it as quickly as possible and allow the ULTIM ADAGIO to get sailing again”.

While ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest leader Charles Caudrelier skirts the Great Australian Bight some 350 miles offshore Thomas Coville in second has a little respite while third placed Armel Le Cleac'h was slowed down during the night. Anthony Marchand, fourth, is around 15 miles from Cape Town, his progress having been slowed down by a lack of wind near the South African port.

Just over 700 miles from the longitude of Tasmania, Charles Caudrelier’s numbers tell a story of consistency. 30.1 knots in the last 24 hours, 31.1 knots in the last 4 hours, 30.9 knots at 0600hrs UTC. this morning. ARKEA ULTIM CHALLENGE-Brest leader Caudrelier continues to progress at steady, regular high speeds. Yesterday evening, he passed Cape Leeuwin and there was a clear measure of the magnitude of his performance today. Even if there is a difference in latitude between the two starting lines, he is 1 day 8 hours and 25 minutes faster than Fran?ois Gabart, holder of the Ushant-Leeuwin record since 2017.

The maxi Edmond de Rothschild is on a more northeasterly course this morning. “Since he is sailing dead downwind he has changed his course slightly to have a better wind angle.” Says Guillaume Rottee, Race Director. And the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild is now heading towards Tasmania, which Caudrelier should reach tomorrow morning, passing into the Pacific.

Behind, Thomas Coville can finally take a breath and enjoy some respite.

Stuck for several days in strong winds, he is benefiting from a calmer period. Most importantly he was able to take the chance to repair his starboard foil lowering system. “It’s an immense pleasure, a moment of rare intensity.” he enthused, with tears in his eyes in a video published last night. “These things never go as planned but we did it, thanks to the hard work from the whole team. We made something beautiful out of this problem.”

“Thomas has entered an area with a little less wind,” notes Rottee, “His track is still a bit erratic and speeds not yet at 100%.”

Armel Le Cleac’h is nearly 970 miles further back, to the west. The skipper of the Maxi Banque Populaire XI has gained a lot of ground on Coville, even if Le Cleac'h has been much slower since the middle of the night (around 10 knots). “He had a sudden drop in wind speed and carried out a maneuver during the night. We see he has a change of pace,” explains Guillaume Rottee. “He could be going through a transition zone or a technical problem even if this morning neither Armel nor the team have said anything.”

Marchand in Cape Town soon

In Cape Town, Tom Laperche (SVR-Lazartigue) explained yesterday: “Continuing is a slim possibility”. Laperche and his team will soon welcome Anthony Marchand. The skipper of Actual Ultim 3, whose port foil is seriously damaged, is arriving in the South African port. “There was no wind at all last night, which did not make it easier to approach the harbour.” Actual are anticipating only a 24 hour stop.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery
Working...
X