Olympic Sailing Coverage Made Easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surviving Brutal Conditions On The Outside Courses

The previous word of the day was 'tricky'. The word of the day for those that went out to sea on day four was 'survival'.

The Olympic sailing competition again produced the extremes of flat water and shifty conditions on the inshore courses with the giant wind and size-of-a-house waves out on the seaward courses. This regatta is testing every extreme of a sailor's ability, which some argue is exactly what the Olympic competition should be.

Women's Two Person Dinghy - 470

The defending Olympic Champions Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie (NZL) sailed an excellent day and met their simple goal for some of the toughest conditions they have ever experienced. "It was just keep the mast pointing upwards," said Aleh. "It was pure survival out there, keep Polly on the side of the boat because crews were getting washed off the side all the time. The wind was big. The waves were big. It couldn't have been more of a contrast to all the fluky stuff from yesterday, but this regatta is getting to be fun."

The Kiwis have replaced the Japanese at the top of the scoreboard, with Ai Kondo Yoshida and Miho Yoshioka just two points behind New Zealand. Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark (GBR) could have dominated the day with two wins, except that in the second race they capsized whilst in the lead and did well to hold on to a sixth place. A missed opportunity that could come back to haunt the British crew later in the competition, but for the moment they sit in third place, just five points off the lead. On equal points with the Britons are the reigning World Champions, Camille Lecointre and Hélène de France (FRA). "We don't normally like those conditions very much so we're pleased to have come out of the day better than we expected," said Lecointre.

The 2014 and 2015 World Champions Lara Vadlau and Jolanta Ogar (AUT) would be hoping to do better than their current eighth overall. "In three years of training we've never seen any of the conditions that we saw yesterday or today," said Vadlau. "The first day was fluky and you needed some luck to do well, and today was about surviving. I tried to enjoy it but when you see people capsizing in front of you, you try to keep calm and keep on doing what you normally do. You can't get scared, because if you get scared you will capsize too."

Men's Two Person Dinghy - 470

Sime Fantela and Igor Marenic (CRO) had the best day in the survival conditions, the Croatians' 4,1 scores lifting them to three points clear of their Aussie rivals and reigning Olympic Champions Mat Belcher and Will Ryan. But it's all very tight, with Panagiotis Mantis and Pavlos Kagialis (GRE) just a couple of points behind in third. Others are ready to pounce on any mistakes, with Sweden and France not far off the podium. The London 2012 silver medallist Luke Patience (GBR) was grinning from ear to ear after coming ashore from the biggest waves he'd ever seen. "They were three or four metres, as big as houses. You could see the front door, two windows, a kitchen and the bedrooms upstairs. When you were in the trough you couldn't see the boat next to you."

Heavyweight Men's One Person Dinghy - Finn

Giles Scott (GBR) didn't manage to capitalise on the survival conditions quite like the previous day of big wind and waves, finishing 11th in the first race but making amends by winning the next. He now holds a 12-point lead over second placed Vasilij Zbogar (SLO). "It's good to put a bit more of a point gap on today but at the moment I'm just very frustrated with how I sailed in that first race," said Scott, the four-time World Champion, as self-critical as ever. "There was a huge gain on the right-hand side of the course all day today and I was pretty slow to realise that on that first leg and let the fleet get to the right of me. It just put me on the back foot but I managed to come back to 11th which I suppose was damage limitation. But then to come out and win the next race, that is all I could ask for."

Zsombor Berecz (HUN) is having the regatta of his life, sitting in third just two points behind Zbogar while Caleb Paine (USA) is just two points away from the Hungarian. Local hero Jorge Zarif (BRA) started well with a second but then followed up with a 19th, putting him in tenth overall. "When it's this windy we don't go sailing in Brazil," he said. "Those were brutal conditions. Anyone who thought Rio was going to be a light wind regatta and prepared just for that is going to be struggling after today."

Men's Windsurfer - RS:X

Dorian van Rijsselberghe (NED) turned the tables on Nick Dempsey (GBR) by finding a level of consistency in tricky, variable conditions that no one else could match. The defending Olympic Champion's scores, 4,1,1, have lifted him eight points clear of the London 2012 silver medallist who still had a good day to hold second overall, now five points in front of the reigning World Champion Piotr Myszka (POL).

These three have broken away from the rest of the pack, with fourth-placed Byron Kokkalanis (GRE) now 16 points off the podium.

Women's Windsurfer - RS:X

The reigning Olympic Champion Marina Alabau (ESP) had the best day from the Women's Windsurfer fleet's three races, and she moves to within striking distance of the podium. "It's been a very hard and complicated day, because of the gusty winds," said Alabau. "I nearly had a heart attack. But I'm super happy, it's been my best day. For me this was a very important day. If I wanted to fight for the medals this was the day to do it well, otherwise I would have been out of the fight." Her coach, Nico Beudou, added, "At last today I've seen the Marina I know."

Flavia Tartaglini (ITA) holds the lead by a single point from Charline Picon (FRA) and Stefania Elfutina (RUS) who sit on equal points, although a protest against the Italian by Demita Vega (MEX) could see a change of leader overnight.

Mixed Multihull - Nacra 17

After four brutal three-lap races for the Nacra 17 fleet, two teams sit tied at the top on equal points. The Australian crew's two race wins put Jason Waterhouse and Lisa Darmanin (AUS) in first place ahead of Ben Saxton and Nicola Groves (GBR), while in third place and nine points behind the leaders is the Italian crew of Vittorio Bissaro and Silvia Sicouri. "There were moments with very hard winds and others with just 10-12 knots," said Sicouri. "So it's been very important to have the skills to perform and always keep the balance on board. I'm happy to have a rest day tomorrow, because after four races with three laps each we are tired. There's still half the championship ahead and we will fight until the end."

Overnight leaders Matias Buhler and Nathalie Brugger (SUI) struggled to get to grips with the stronger conditions on the Ponte course and have fallen to seventh overall. The four-time World Champions Billy Besson and Marie Riou (FRA) finished the day where they started, in 15th place. Besson's back injury couldn't have flared up at a worse time, and one of the hot favourites for gold have seen their dreams shattered after two gruelling days for the injured sailor.

Racing resumes on Friday 12 August at 13:00 local time. The 49er and 49erFX will start their Olympic campaigns whilst the Finn and Nacra 17 sailors will enjoy a lay day.

Find information below on how to follow the Rio 2016 Olympic Sailing Competition.

RESULTS / ENTRIES
    A full list of sailors racing at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is available to view here - http://www.sailing.org/olympics/rio2...qMexternallink
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Comment

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - For the second consecutive day, conditions at the Rio 2016 Olympic sailing event were defined by high, steady breeze with large swells on the ocean racing areas, and flat water with unpredictable weather on the Guanabara Bay courses. Team USA athletes experienced a wide range of results and emotions, spanning from disappointment to elation to relief.

The team was paced by a doggedly effective performance from the Women's 470 duo of Annie Haeger (East Troy, Wisc.), and Briana Provancha (San Diego, Calif.), who fought through a pre-race serious breakdown in the first race, and unfavorable early positions in both races.

"The 470's had a course change this morning and went from [the interior] "Ponte" course to "Niteroi" [on the ocean]. You definitely plan to be [on the scheduled course], but the Olympics is all about adapting and being flexible," said Provancha, a Youth World Champion. "We did our best in 25-knot massive-wave sailing. It was a very full-on day, and it was awesome. It was what 470's are supposed to be raced in."

"In the first race our halyard lock failed with 15 seconds [left until] the start," said Provancha. "We were unable to start with the fleet, and were pretty far behind. We managed a 10th, and that was pretty awesome." Provancha explained that due to the failure, the head (top) of their mainsail was stuck about 1.5 feet down from its optimal position at the top of the mast, effectively "reefing" (reducing the size) of the main sail. "I think that was probably the best sailing the two of us have ever done, honestly," said Provancha.

In the second race, this time with their mainsail restored to its proper position, Haeger and Provancha again found themselves buried deep in the pack at the first mark after choosing an unfavorable course on the first leg. The Americans maintained their composure, steadily climbed through the fleet, and finished in 2nd. After four races, Haeger and Provancha sit in 6th overall, only six points from the lead.

Marion Lepert (Belmont, Calif.) once again showed flashes of elite speed on Thursday, finishing 6th in Race 7, before two mid-fleet scores placed her in 12th overall. Lepert will have an opportunity to fight for a medal race berth on Friday in the final day of full-fleet RS:X racing. "We had completely crazy conditions today," said Lepert. "I was racing on [the Escola] "Naval" course, next to the city, and the wind [direction] felt like a lottery. Some big changes in position were going on."

Echoing the reports of other sailors racing on Guanabara Bay courses today, weather unpredictability was a constant factor, said Lepert. "There was definitely no playbook today. In the past few days there were patterns, but today there were none, and it made it exciting because you never knew what was going to happen."

When asked about her strategy to finish strong, Lepert said that she wanted to leave Rio with nothing left in the tank. "It will depend on what kind of wind we have, but for me, [the strategy] is to give it my all, make every last race count, make every last beat count, and to make sure it's a really memorable experience." In the Men's RS:X fleet, Pedro Pascual (West Palm Beach, Fla.) finished with scores of 22, 26, 28 and stands in 30th overall.

In the Men's 470 fleet, Stu McNay (Providence, R.I.), Dave Hughes (Miami, Fla.) have had difficultly establishing positive momentum in the early stages of their event. The veteran pair, who have won several unofficial coaches regattas in Rio against the world's best, scored 8, 13 in two races on the physically taxing Niteroi course on Thursday. McNay and Hughes were forced to execute penalty turns in both races, hampering what had looked to be two strong performances.

Caleb Paine (San Diego, Calif.) crossed the finish line today in his two races in 14th and 2nd positions, which would have put him in 4th place overall. However, a protest against Paine in Race 6 resulted in a disqualification for the American, which dropped him from 4th to 15th overall.

Bora Gulari (Detroit, Mich.) and Louisa Chafee (Warwick, R.I.) experienced equipment problems that forced their retirement in two of the days' four races. "Bora's trapeze harness kept snapping where it attached to the mast," said Chafee. "It's not something you can quickly fix and go right back into the racing. You're done for the race." Despite the setback, Gulari and Chafee mentally regrouped, and submitted a 12th in Race 4, and an impressive 4th in Race 6. The American Nacra 17 team now sits in 16th overall.

Sailing at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games will continue on Friday, August 12, which will see a return to action for the Laser Radial and Laser fleets, and Americans Paige Railey (Clearwater, Fla.) and Charlie Buckingham (Newport Beach, Calif.).

U.S. Sailing Team Results:

Day 4: Wednesday August 11

Women's 470 (Top 10):

1. NZL - ALEH Jo / POWRIE Polly: 6

2. JPN - KONDO YOSHIDA Ai / YOSHIOKA Miho: 8

3. GBR - MILLS Hannah / CLARK Saskia: 11

4. FRA - LECOINTRE Camille / DEFRANCE Helene: 11

5. SLO - MRAK Tina / MACAROL Veronika: 11

6. USA - HAEGER Annie / PROVANCHA Briana: 12

7. NED - ZEGERS Afrodite / VAN VEEN Anneloes: 18

8. AUT - VADLAU Lara / OGAR Jolanta: 20

9. BRA - OLIVEIRA Fernanda / BARBACHAN Ana Luiza: 20

10. ESP - CORNUDELLA RAVETLLAT Barbara / LOPEZ RAVETLLAT Sara: 31

Women's Laser Radial: (No Racing on Thursday, August 11)

1. IRL - MURPHY Annalise: 19

2. DEN - RINDOM Anne-Marie: 20

3. NED - BOUWMEESTER Marit: 21

4. CHN - XU Lijia: 27

5. FIN - TENKANEN Tuula: 30.8

6. LTU - SCHEIDT Gintare: 34

7. USA - RAILEY Paige: 35

8. SWE - OLSSON Josefin: 40

9. CRO - MIHELIC Tina: 42

10. BEL- VAN ACKER Evi: 47

Men's 470: (Top 10)

1. CRO - FANTELA Sime / MARENIC Igor: 4

2. AUS - BELCHER Mathew / RYAN Will: 7

3. GRE - MANTIS Panagiotis / KAGIALIS Pavlos: 9

4. SWE - DAHLBERG Anton / BERGSTROM Fredrik: 14

5. FRA - BOUVET Sofian / MION Jeremie: 14

6. GBR - PATIENCE Luke / GRUBE Chris: 16

7. AUT - SCHMID Matthias / REICHSTAEDTER Florian: 18

8. SUI - BRAUCHLI Yannick / HAUSSER Romuald: 22

9. KOR - KIM Changju / KIM Jihoon: 25

10. USA - MCNAY Stuart / HUGHES Dave: 25

Women's RS:X:

12. USA - LEPERT, Marion: 92.9 points

Men's Finn:

15. USA - PAINE Caleb: 55

Men's Laser: (No Racing on Thursday, August 11)

15. USA - BUCKINGHAM, Charlie: 37 points

Mixed Nacra 17:

16. USA - GULARI Bora / CHAFEE Louisa: 23

Men's RS:X:

30. USA - PASCUAL, Pedro: 136 points

Comment

Great Britain is certainly having a good campaign thus far.

If only the US sailing team was as strong as their swimming and women's gymnastics...............

Comment

http://stream.nbcolympics.com/sailing-day-5

Today's secret link!

Comment

Originally posted by El Capitan View Post

Any trick to getting around the sign in? I'm a dish customer but heck if i know my log-in info...
            Pointing like a traffic cop, footin like a track star.

Comment

http://stream.nbcolympics.com/sailing-day-6

Oops, that was yesterdays secret word.

They did not request password for our cable account. Guess you could do the guest thing and just re-log in when it times out?

Comment

It was a light and frustrating day for many in the Olympic sailing competition, but not for the London 2012 gold and silver medallists in the Men's Windsurfer, with the Dutch and the British wrapping up Rio 2016 gold and silver before the Medal Race on Sunday.

Meanwhile it was the start of competition for the Men's and Women's Skiff fleets, with an expected leader in the 49er Men, but a surprise leader in the 49erFX Women.

Men's Windsurfer - RS:X

Dorian van Rijsselberghe (NED) has won the gold medal in the Men's Windsurfer and Nick Dempsey (GBR) has won the silver, both without having to contest the Medal Race on Sunday. It's a carbon copy repeat of London 2012 when the Dutchman took gold ahead of the Briton four years ago. The result is subject to protest, and both sailors will still have to sail the Medal Race, but van Rijsselberghe and Dempsey were already congratulating each other after crossing the finish line of the 12th race of their series. These two athletes have dominated the Olympic competition, with van Rijsselberghe winning seven of the 12 races and Dempsey winning three. Sunday's battle for bronze will still be close fought between current World Champion Piotr Myszka (POL), Pierre Le Coq (FRA) and Byron Kokkalanis (GRE).

Looking back to the start of the RS:X competition, van Rijsselberghe commented, "I was very fortunate that Nick went off like a cannon in the first couple of races because it really showed me like, 'okay, it's not going to be easy.' We never thought it was going to be easy but he really showed me that if I wanted this, I had to work for it. I tried, worked for it and I got it. It's great when you're sailing against guys that are really pushing you and challenging you. If you don't have that, it would be very boring."

Even though the Dutchman dominated four years ago to win his first Olympic title, he was still taken aback at his performance this time. "It's unreal. I did it in London and I never expected it to happen again. Now that it's happened again, it's unreal. It's never easy, if it was easy everybody would be doing it. It was an amazing week and having the guys push me really helped a lot. Coming out with a score like this is pretty special."

Van Rijsselberghe paid tribute to the people that helped him to his second Olympic title saying, "The majority of it will be from Aaron, my coach. He keeps pushing me and of course my training partner Kiran Badloe and the others that have helped me bust my balls and blaze along." He also thanked his wife for allowing him to shave his head specially for the Games, just as he had done when he won four years ago in London.

Dempsey almost had a tear in his eye as he sealed his third Olympic windsurfing medal, the first sailor ever to have done so. "I was consistent but not quite consistently good enough today. I just had to really try and stay in touch with Dorian and I'd be lying if I didn't say I had an eye on the two people behind me. Dorian was too good today. He won it today rather than me losing it and I feel very happy to have won a silver medal."

The Briton has won three medals from five Games, so he knows what it's like to miss out and he wasn't taking his silver for granted. It has been a life of sacrifice dating back to his first Games in Sydney 2000. This evening he was enjoying his first beer in five months. "A year ago, I didn't know where I'd finish. At the Olympic Test event last year I wasn't anywhere near the podium so I had a lot of work to do. The last 12 months have gone really well and I've worked bloody hard, so it's nice to come here and have a chance of winning. To have the silver medal is pretty awesome."

On his strategy, Dempsey was happy to have taken a conservative approach. "I didn't want to be too aggressive. I wanted to stay pretty safe as it was pretty unstable out there. The last thing I wanted to do was have a day like the Polish guy. He had some horrendous scores, and then all of a sudden you're out of the medals and fighting to get back. I had to be quite careful. I was pretty close to Dorian but he was slightly ahead of me. Unfortunately, he was ahead all of the time but when somebody is out winning there is not a lot you can do apart from limit the damage. He was too good today. It's been an amazing week with great racing."

Dempsey will celebrate his 36th birthday tomorrow with a rest day before Sunday's Medal Race, and he wants to go out on a high. "Sunday is my last race ever so I want to do well and win."

Women's Windsurfer - RS:X

Star performer of the day was Peina Chen (CHN) who won the last three races of the qualifying series. Just five points separate the top six sailors going into Sunday's Women's Windsurfer Medal Race this Sunday. Bearing in mind the final race is worth double points, Stefania Elfutina's (RUS) one-point lead over Flavia Tartaglini (ITA) effectively puts them tied for first. Breathing down their necks are reigning Olympic Champion Marina Alabau (ESP), Peina Chen (CHN), Charline Picon (FRA) and Maayan Davidovich (ISR). A few points further back but still with an outside shot at the podium is Lillian de Geus (NED).

Alabau is going to have fight hard to keep her Olympic title, but she's relishing the challenge. "It hasn't been a bad day for me but I really think that I could have done it a bit better. It has been a difficult day, with difficult conditions, very changing winds in direction and intensity. Some girls have done it quite bad, not me, but I haven't shone either. Now I have a protest with the Israeli and let's see how it finishes." As to the grand finale on Sunday, "It's going to be the most interesting Medal Race in history. We are seven women to win three medals. Crazy."

Tartaglini led earlier in the week and was a little envious at the ease with which the gold and silver medals have been won in the Men's Windsurfer. "I would have liked to do it as Dorian or Nick, but we are going to keep the suspense until the end. Women are so pig-headed, so we have to suffer till the end. It's a nonsense to work out the points. I have to do my own race, and I hope to win a medal."

Men's Skiff - 49er

Peter Burling and Blair Tuke (NZL) made the perfect start to their competition winning both opening heats in the Men's 49er. After a long wait for the wind to settle on the Pão de Açucar (Sugarloaf Mountain) race course, it was Jonas Warrer and Christian Peter Lubeck (DEN) who found themselves duelling with the New Zealanders at the front of the fleet. Warrer, the 2008 Olympic Champion, looked to have got the better of the Kiwis on the final lap and was leading down to the finish when he belatedly realised he had missed out the gate mark. The Danes reluctantly but hurriedly dropped their gennaker to resail the course correctly, leaving the way clear for an easy opening victory for Burling and Tuke. Warrer crossed in eighth, an expensive mistake that could cost him further down the line.

In the next race the Kiwis rounded the first mark in fourth and patiently worked their way to the front ahead of the Irish pair Ryan Seaton and Matthew McGovern. At the end of a day that saw some spectacular racing in moderate breezes and beautiful winter sunshine, New Zealand holds the lead, Portugal is second and Germany is third. "We're just happy to walk away from day one with two low scores," said Burling, the four-time World Champion. While the Kiwi boatspeed was good, most of their winning came from picking their way through the gusts and the lulls on the tricky course. "We made our gain in that first race when we gybe-set on that first run. It felt like we found some good breeze and that helped us get out of the pack and up to the front."

Their opening day wasn't the way that Nathan Outteridge and Iain Jensen (AUS) would have liked to open the defence of their Olympic title. Scores of 13,8 put the Australians in 11th overall. "We haven't lost the event, but we haven't set the world on fire," Outteridge admitted, acknowledging they just weren't quite fast enough out of the blocks. "A lot of it is trying to get on the first tack and getting yourself up the ladder ahead of everyone else. Both times we just missed that first opportunity."

Women's Skiff - 49erFX

There is no stand-out favourite for gold in the brand new Women's Skiff fleet, and after day one of competition things aren't much clearer. Of all the teams that might have been expected to be topping the leaderboard, few would have picked the Canadians. Yet Erin Rafuse and Dannie Boyd scored a 5,4 to hold a one-point lead over one of the acknowledged favourites, local sailors Martine Grael and Kahena Kunze (BRA), who won the second race of the day just as the sun was setting over their home town.

Winners of the first race were Sarah Steyaert and Aude Compan (FRA) who are in third overall on equal points with last year's World Champions from Italy, Giulia Conti and Francesca Clapcich.

The Canadians were delighted with their first day of Olympic competition. "We don't like to get caught up in the numbers but this is definitely our best start to a regatta," said Rafuse. "We picked the right regatta." Boyd enjoyed the tricky racing in shifty winds. "These conditions are right in our wheelhouse," she said. "We know we can throw the boat wherever we want to. We had good starts and were able to get on the first shift of the day and it makes the rest of the race a lot easier."

Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark (GBR) won the only race of the day for the 470 Women on the Escola Naval course, moving them to the top of the leaderboard. Two earlier leaders in the series had disappointing days. Ai Kondo Yoshida and Miho Yoshioka (JPN) finished in last place today although when that score is discarded from their results the Japanese are still second overall, three points off the lead. Sharing the same points as the Japanese are the reigning World Champions Camille Lecointre and Hélène de France (FRA).

With the defending Olympic Champions already having used up their discard in the first race of the series after a disqualification, a 12th place finish has proven expensive for Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie (NZL) who have dropped from first to sixth in the standings.

On the British race win, Mills commented, "It's always nice when there's only going to be one race to go out and smash it. We executed on our plan and we're very happy. It's such a hard venue and the fleet is all vying for that top spot. We just need to make sure we have a shot at winning come the Medal Race."

It was a frustrating wait for the 470 Men who were struggling to get in their races on the Escola Naval course. In the single race that was completed before sunset, Luke Patience and Chris Grube's victory has lifted the British to third overall. The duel for supremacy continues between the reigning World Champions from Croatia and the reigning Olympic Champions from Australia. Mat Belcher and Will Ryan (AUS) moved to within two points of the lead after finishing second in the day's only race, a place behind Sime Fantela and Igor Marenic (CRO) who lead the fleet. Panagiotis Mantis and Pavlos Kagialis (GRE) sit a point behind the British in fourth overall.

Fantela commented, "Another good day in our pocket, it was tricky inside the bay. Lots of waiting but we are used to it and finally the wind filled in around 3.30pm and we made a good climb from about seventh at the beginning to the front of the pack. We had a good fight with Australia, the British, the Americans. It was fun."

Women's One Person Dinghy - Laser Radial

With just two of the ten-race qualifying series remaining for the Women's Radial fleet, Anne-Marie Rindom (DEN) has pulled out a useful ten-point advantage after a very solid day's sailing in very tricky conditions, the light airs and big waves making for a seasick-inducing day on the water. Still within striking distance of the lead is Marit Bouwmeester (NED) who holds second place, four points in front of Annalise Murphy (IRL) who fell off the top of the leaderboard after struggling with the difficult conditions on the Copacabana course. "I would like it to have been better today but it wasn't a complete disaster," Murphy shrugged. "Huge swell, big shifts, a lot going on, and not getting it quite right. I caught up a lot in the first race but I'm not happy. I'm looking forward to Sugarloaf tomorrow: lots of gusts, shifts, really tricky which is how I like it."

Men's One Person Dinghy - Laser

Tonci Stipanovi? (CRO) gave away a lot of his lead in the Men's Laser after struggling to get to grips with the unusual conditions out on the big rolling ocean. The Croatian could only manage 28,9 while Robert Scheidt (BRA) went on the attack with a 4,5 that has taken him to just three points of the lead. Tom Burton (AUS) is two points behind Scheidt in third overall.

Stipanovi? made no secret of his dislike of today's conditions. "For me these conditions are strange and really hard. Light wind, big swell, I didn't know what to do. You need a lot of practice in this and I have probably only sailed in this kind of conditions four times in my life. Because of that it didn't go so well today."

Scheidt also acknowledged the difficulty of the weird combination of big waves and very little breeze. "Two metre swell out there, very difficult to sail the boat, pressure at the top of the wave, no pressure at the bottom of the wave."

The 43-year-old is more motivated than ever to become the first sailor to win six Olympic medals. "I think that the key to this week was to never give up. I made some mistakes on day one and two, but I believed I could come back and today was a massive day for my confidence. It's another crucial day tomorrow."

Racing resumes on Saturday 13 August at 13:00 local time. The 470 fleets will have a lay day tomorrow, as will the RS:X ahead of their Medal Race on Sunday. All other fleets will be racing.

Find information below on how to follow the Rio 2016 Olympic Sailing Competition.

RESULTS / ENTRIES
                A full list of sailors racing at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is available to view here - http://www.sailing.org/olympics/rio2...qMexternallink. Results will be available on World Sailing's Olympic Website when racing starts on Monday 8 August here - http://www.sailing.org/olympics/rio2...qMexternallink

LIVE TRACKING

Comment

With his 10-6 scoreline on Day 6 Charlie Buckingham did almost everything he needed to in order to make the Laser's top-ten Medal Race. With 109 points he tied for tenth but lost the tiebreaker based on best-race finishes. Ever-positive, Charlie reflects on a very successful four days of racing in Rio.

USA Clinches Radial Medal Race Berth, Shines In 49erFX

Day 6 Report from Rio 2016.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Sunshine and a consistent easterly breeze descended on Rio de Janeiro Saturday, and gave over three hundred Olympic sailors superb racing conditions on Day 6 of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games sailing competition. Saturday saw the final full-fleet races in the Laser and Laser Radial classes, and dramatic finishes for Team USA sailors competing in both fleets. After six days of racing, the U.S. Olympic Sailing Team is in the top ten in five of ten classes.

Laser Radial sailor Paige Railey (Clearwater, Fla.) entered Saturday's racing with a battle on her hands for a medal race berth, and the result came down to the final leg of Race 10. Heading into that race, Railey needed to make up at least 12 points and pass the three boats immediately ahead of her in the overall standings. This was a tall order, but Railey's deep experience gave her a considerable boost. Opting for a conservative mid-line start, Railey calmly identified beneficial wind shifts, leaned on her superb downwind speed, and finished 4th. After all the points were tallied, Railey had improved from 14th to 10th, and earned a place in the medal race.

"It's a shock," said Railey, who explained that after three consecutive tough races on Friday and Saturday, hope for a medal race appearance seemed nearly lost. While Railey has been mathematically eliminated from medal contention, the five-time World Championship medalist said she would compete as hard as possible in Monday's final contest, in the spirit of the Olympic Games. "I'm happy for the team, and my coach, and that the American flag will be in the medal race. I probably have the least pressure on me of anybody [who qualified]. I'm going to go out there and see if I can climb a few places."

Charlie Buckingham (Newport Beach, Calif.) submitted two excellent scores in the Men's Laser fleet on Saturday, with a 10, 6, the latter race being his best of the regatta. However, the two-time College Sailor of the Year for Georgetown University and Laser North American Champion finished Race 10 tied on points for 10th place overall with Dutch athlete Rutger van Schaardenburg, and Buckingham came out on the wrong side of the tiebreaker scoring system. By finishing 11th, Buckingham will miss the medal race, which is reserved for the top ten sailors overall. "I didn't start great in [either] of the races, but felt like I sailed pretty well and put up good scores," said Buckingham. "I did what I could, and it turned out I was close making the medal race."

"The level in the Laser class is unbelievably high," continued Buckingham. "It was fun mixing it up with some of the best sailors in the world. I think there are just so many guys fighting at the top of the leaderboard that you had to take opportunities to have good races [when they appeared]. I think that early in the regatta, I missed a couple of opportunities that would have been valuable points, but towards the end of the week I did a better job of having more consistent top finishes." Buckingham said that his first career U.S. Olympic Team appearance was a positive experience overall. "I was proud to represent Team USA, and be out there flying the American flag. I ended on a good note, and I'm looking forward to cheering on my team for the rest of the week."

Caleb Paine (San Diego, Calif.) finished 17, 7 on Saturday in the Finn class, and also successfully overturned his Race 6 disqualification in a re-hearing of an earlier protest. Paine submitted new evidence, and the jury decision was reversed. The 2012 Sailing World Cup Series Champion now sits in 7th overall, and is once again in position to battle the current regatta leaders.

Paris Henken (Coronado, Calif.) and Helena Scutt (Kirkland, Wash.) had a standout day in the high-performance 49erFX Women's Skiff, with scores of 14, 5, 1, 4 over four races. "We wanted to be in the top ten after today, and we hope to just keep moving up from here," said Henken. Greatly aiding in that effort was a win in Race 5, which was broadcast live on NBC Olympics. "We had a pretty good start, and had good boatspeed," said Henken. "We were punched out from the start [of the race], and from there it was pretty simple." Henken and Scutt are now in 9th overall.

Nacra 17 sailors Bora Gulari (Detroit, Mich.) and Louisa Chafee also enjoyed their best day yet at Rio 2016, securing three single-digit scores of 9, 2, 8 to move up to 12th, and within just one point of 10th and medal race position. "We had really good starts, and I'd say that in general our speed was on par with the top teams," said Chafee. "Today we had some stronger breeze, over 15 knots, which has not been our strongest condition in the past. It was exciting to see a situation where in the past we struggled become something where we excelled."

Men's 49er sailors Thomas Barrows (St. Thomas, U.S.V.I) and Joe Morris (Annapolis, Md.) had a breakthrough in Race 5, where they crossed the finish line in 4th. However, the pair was disqualified in that race due to a protest by the Swiss team stemming from a right-of-way rules dispute. Nevertheless, Barrows and Morris improved their overall position by virtue of their 14, 11 scores in the other two races. The collegiate and Olympic-class teammates are now in 19th overall.

Racing will continue on Saturday, August 14, as 470 athletes Annie Haeger (East Troy, Wisc.), Briana Provancha (San Diego, Calif.), Stu McNay (Providence, R.I.) and Dave Hughes (Miami, Fla.) will return to action after a reserve day. The two American 470's are fighting in the top ten, with five more races scheduled for each class before the medal race. Marion Lepert (Belmont, Calif.) and Pedro Pascual (West Palm Beach, Fla.) have concluded racing in the Men's and Women's RS:X classes.

Day 3: Wednesday August 10

Women's 470 (Top 10): No Racing On Saturday

1. GBR - MILLS Hannah / CLARK Saskia: 12

2. JPN - KONDO YOSHIDA Ai / YOSHIOKA Miho: 15

3. FRA - LECOINTRE Camille / DEFRANCE Helene: 15

4. USA - HAEGER Annie / PROVANCHA Briana: 17

5. SLO - MRAK Tina / MACAROL Veronika: 17

6. NZL - ALEH Jo / POWRIE Polly: 18

7. BRA - OLIVEIRA Fernanda / BARBACHAN Ana Luiza: 22

8. AUT - VADLAU Lara / OGAR Jolanta: 26

9. NED - ZEGERS Afrodite / VAN VEEN Anneloes: 32

10. POL - SKRZYPULEC Agnieszka / MROZEK-GLISZCZYNSKA Irmina: 36

Men's Finn: (Top 10)

1. GBR - SCOTT Giles: 22

2. SLO - ZBOGAR Vasilij: 38

3. AUS - LILLEY Jake: 47

4. NED - POSTMA Pieter-Jan: 53

5. CRO - KLJAKOVIC GASPIC Ivan: 53

6. BRA -ZARIF Jorge: 56

7. USA - PAINE Caleb: 60

8. SWE - SALMINEN Max: 61

9. HUN - BERECZ Zsombor: 63

10. FRA - LOBERT Jonathan: 66

Men's 470: (Top 10) No Racing On Saturday

1. CRO - FANTELA Sime / MARENIC Igor: 7

2. AUS - BELCHER Mathew / RYAN Will: 9

3. GBR - PATIENCE Luke / GRUBE Chris: 17

4. GRE - MANTIS Panagiotis / KAGIALIS Pavlos: 18

5. FRA - BOUVET Sofian / MION Jeremie: 20

6. SWE - DAHLBERG Anton / BERGSTROM Fredrik: 22

7. AUT - SCHMID Matthias / REICHSTAEDTER Florian: 27

8. USA - MCNAY Stuart / HUGHES Dave: 29

9. SUI - BRAUCHLI Yannick / HAUSSER Romuald: 32

10. ESP - XAMMAR HERNANDEZ Jordi / HERP MORELL Joan: 37

Women's 49erFX: (Top 10)

1. DEN - HANSEN Jena / SALSKOV-IVERSEN Katja Steen: 12

2. BRA - GRAEL Martine / KUNZE Kahena: 19

3. NZL - MALONEY Alex / MEECH Molly: 19

4. ESP - ECHEGOYEN DOMINGUEZ Tamara / BETANZOS MORO Berta: 24

5. ITA - CONTI Giulia / CLAPCICH Francesca: 31

6. GBR - DOBSON Charlotte / AINSWORTH Sophie: 32

7. NED - BEKKERING Annemiek / DUETZ Annette: 36

8. GER - JURCZOK Victoria / LORENZ Anika: 36

9. USA - HENKEN Paris / SCUTT Helena: 37

10. SWE - ERICSON Lisa / KLINGA Hanna: 38

Women's Laser Radial: (Top 10)

1. NED - BOUWMEESTER Marit: 47

2. DEN - RINDOM Anne-Marie: 55

3. IRL - MURPHY Annalise: 57

4. BEL - VAN ACKER Evi: 66

5. FIN - TENKANEN Tuula: 68.6

6. LTU - SCHEIDT: 82

7. SWE - OLSSON Josefin: 84

8. GBR - YOUNG Alison: 91

9. AUS - STODDART Ashley: 101

10. USA - RAILEY Paige: 109

Men's Laser: (Final)

11. USA - BUCKINGHAM, Charlie: 37 points

Mixed Nacra 17:

12. USA - GULARI Bora / CHAFEE Louisa: 23

Women's RS:X: (Final)

16. USA - LEPERT, Marion: 156.9 points

Men's 49er:

19. USA - Barrows, Thomas / MORRIS, Joe: 37

Men's RS:X: (Final)

28. USA - PASCUAL, Pedro: 286 points

Comment

France have emerged as the top nation from the Men's and Women's Windsurfing at Rio 2016. It all came good for the French on the final, critical day of Medal Races on the notoriously tricky Sugarloaf Mountain race course.

For Dorian van Rijsselberghe (NED) and Nick Dempsey (GBR) the men's Medal Race was a formality. The gold and silver medallists from London 2012 turned it on again for Rio and were another level above the rest of the fleet. In the early stages of the regatta, the British sailor had the legs on his Dutch rival, but gradually van Rijsselberghe found his form and stepped up another gear.

Looking back to the start of the RS:X competition, van Rijsselberghe commented, "I was very fortunate that Nick went off like a cannon in the first couple of races because it really showed me like, 'okay, it's not going to be easy.' We never thought it was going to be easy but he really showed me that if I wanted this, I had to work for it. I tried, worked for it and I got it. It's great when you're sailing against guys that are really pushing you and challenging you.

If you don't have that it would be very boring."

Watching van Rijsselberghe was not boring and even his competitors acknowledge that it is a privilege to compete against such a talent. João Rodrigues (POR), competing at his seventh and final Olympics, commented, "Dorian is like an artist, he has taken things to a new level the way he sails the RS:X and he does it with a smile on his face. Dorian is very popular in the fleet. He really loves what he does and he loves to share that with other people."

Van Rijsselberghe celebrated his Olympic title with the Dutch royal family who watched him win the Medal Race. "It's very nice that they came out here to watch the races and actually know what's going on. They're talking about me saying, 'you did this, you did that, how come the Spanish guy came to the front.' It's nice, not just shaking hands but to have a proper conversation."

Although he knew he'd secured gold two days earlier it wasn't until Sunday evening that the bald Dutchman finally let his proverbial hair down, not fully able to celebrate the gold until he had completed the Medal Race. "We are professional athletes and wait until the final moments. We had a wonderful week of sailing. We had crazy wind, everything went well and we didn't wait on the beach for days so we have had a good competition."

For Dempsey, Rio 2016 was his Olympic swan song. The Briton has won three medals from five Games, so he knows what it's like to miss out and he wasn't taking his silver for granted. It has been a life of sacrifice dating back to his first Games in Sydney 2000. He hadn't drunk a beer for five months before the Games, but the evening he knew the silver was secure, he celebrated with three small beers. "I had a hangover the next morning," he smiled.

While the gold looked possible for a while, Dempsey is very happy with the silver. "A year ago, I didn't know where I'd finish. At the Olympic Test event last year I wasn't anywhere near the podium so I had a lot of work to do. The last 12 months have gone really well and I've worked bloody hard, so it's nice to come here and have a chance of winning. To have the silver medal is pretty awesome." Dempsey, who turned 36 during the competition, promises this really is the end of his career as a professional athlete. Now he intends to turn his passion for photography into a career.

Pierre Le Coq took the bronze medal after sailing his way past the reigning World Champion Piotr Myszka (POL) in the Medal Race. "The sensation of crossing the line knowing that I secured third place was amazing," said Le Coq. "I had a difficult week and I never thought I could catch up to this point, so it's an amazing feeling to finish third at the Olympics. It's my first Olympics, all my family is here, all my friends are here, I just want to celebrate it with them. I really want to congratulate the two first, Dorian and Nick, they were very impressive this week."

Perhaps Le Coq's performance was the inspiration that Charline Picon (FRA) needed for her even tougher assignment in the Women's Medal Race. With seven of the ten competitors in the hunt for gold, the final test would require nerves of steel.

One of the leading contenders, Stefania Elfutina (RUS), had a shocking start, being given a penalty turn for infringing Bryony Shaw (GBR) at the start line. Meanwhile Picon had not made the best of starts either, although she soon found a click of speed to move through the fleet to second by the first mark. However, Picon had to be careful because Peina Chen (CHN) had another gear downwind and shot up from sixth to second by the bottom of the first lap. China looked set to take the gold from France, but Picon held on in the light winds to the finish to secure the Olympic title, with Chen settling for silver. Despite her poor start Elfutina rallied to finish in seventh place and the 19-year-old just edged out the Medal Race winner Lillian de Geus (NED) for the bronze.

For the 31-year-old Picon, the Olympic title is the culmination of a long campaign in the RS:X class. Eighth at London 2012, she won the 2014 World Championships and had marked herself out as one of the favourites for gold in Rio. She dominated the first day of competition and was always in the hunt. A trained physiotherapist, she competes for the French Navy's Armee des Champions [Champions' Army] team.

There was no doubting what the victory meant to Picon. "So many feelings and emotions at the finish line! It has been a really difficult week. Yesterday I counted all the points I lost because things didn't go as I wanted, I had some complicated moments. So winning the gold medal like this in this exciting Medal Race and with this Hollywood scenario, it's just incredible.

"After London, it has been four years of preparation, and we were fighting for three medals. Here I knew it could be my time, I believed it from the beginning but this morning I was absolutely stressed. I worked with my psychologist on making the stress work in my favour. I have come a long way since London. Winning the gold medal in the Medal Race on the finish line is...." Words failed her.

Chen commented, "We were seven women fighting, but I tried not to think too much about that, I just wanted to do my race. I am not disappointed at finishing just two points behind the gold medal. I feel that I've given my best and am happy with the silver."

Elfutina said, "Before the start of the race I understood that it was going to be a crazy race, with seven girls fighting for three medals, and we also had the postponement flag so we had to wait ashore. It has been a really close battle, very interesting and unforgettable.

"Before the race I was thinking about how great it would be to be on the podium, but after the start and my 360º penalty I thought that everything was lost. I thought that the only way to get a medal was to pump, and that was what I did. I pumped and a few metres before the finish I realised I could get a medal. I am not disappointed with bronze, the bronze medal is great."

The six Windsurfers were presented their medals by multiple Olympic Windsurfing medallist, New Zealand's Barbara Kendall and World Sailing Vice-President, Nazli Imre.

As the RS:X fleets did battle in their Medal Races, the Finns, 470s, and Nacra 17 fleets continued their racing across Rio de Janeiro. Giles Scott (GBR) has won gold in the Finn with a race to spare.

The reigning Olympic Champions in the Men's and Women's 470s are struggling to defend their titles. And the oldest sailor in the competition is showing his young Nacra 17 rivals the way round the track.

Heavyweight Men's One Person Dinghy - Finn

Giles Scott (GBR) won the gold medal in the Finn without needing to contest the Medal Race on Tuesday. The four-time and reigning World Champion was always expected to dominate the competition in Rio but where other favourites have faltered at this tricky venue, the Great Briton has delivered exactly what was expected of him. An eighth and second place from Sunday's races on the Niterói course were sufficient to give him the winning margin.

For the 28-year-old, this has been a long time coming. Many believed he would have won gold four years earlier at London 2012, but he had to bide his time as Ben Ainslie earned selection ahead of him and went on to win his fourth Olympic gold in a tense Medal Race where the outcome of the medals was in doubt until the very last second.

No such doubt for Scott, who has avoided having to earn his gold medal on the vagaries of the fluky Medal Race course under the shadow of Sugarloaf Mountain. Even the usually invincible Briton looked mortal as he opened his Olympic campaign with a 17th place on the Sugarloaf course earlier in the week. Since then however, Scott has scored seven of the ten qualifying races inside the top three, and three of those were race wins.

Scott doesn't normally show much emotion, but today he did. "I know what it meant to me because of the way it made me feel towards the last stages of that final race. I just found myself welling up and in tingles as it slowly dawned on me what I'd done. I wouldn't put myself down as the emotional sort but I had a little cry to myself which I like to think I don't do that often. Just the emotions that come out of you in that situation you can't prepare yourself for. It's been amazing.

"When we put the campaign together after London, Matt [Howard], my coach and I we decided that we wanted to campaign flat out. We weren't going to go soft in any regattas and everything we went to, we wanted to win and win it in style.
                    "That approach is great but it does put a target on your back. Especially two or three years out that target inevitably gets closer as everybody ups their game. To have been able to maintain that gap enough into the Olympics with a race to spare - it gives great justification to those decisions earlier on."

While others might not be that surprised at the level of Scott's dominance, he certainly was. "If you'd have asked me, would I have won the Olympic Games before the Medal Race in Rio? I'd have said absolutely not because of the venue that it is. The racing that we've had this week I've managed to sail more consistently. It's such a privileged situation to be in because the two days from now, everybody else is going to be fighting it out for those medals. It's going to be incredibly stressful and to be able to say I'm not going to have to go through that is pretty nice."

With a 24-point lead over second place, Scott will sail Tuesday's Medal Race as a formality. Vasilij Zbogar (SLO) holds a 13 point lead over Ivan Gaspic (CRO), which sets up the Slovenian nicely for the silver medal, while the Croatian will have to be mindful of the fourth and fifth placed sailors, Caleb Paine (USA) and Max Salminen (SWE) in the fight for the remaining medals.

Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie (NZL) won race six of the Women's 470 only to discover they had been UFD disqualified for crossing the start line too soon. Having already picked up a disqualification from race one, the reigning Olympic Champions now have a mountain to climb if they're to win a repeat gold.

Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark (GBR) continue to hold the lead, although the team now closest to them are the Americans four points back, Anne Haeger and Brian Provancha (USA). Third place is held by Tina Mrak and Veronika Macarol (SLO), although just a point behind are reigning World Champions Camille Lecointre and Hélène de France (FRA) and a point further behind the French are Ai Kondo Yoshida and Miho Yoshioka (JPN).

Sime Fantela and Igor Marenic (CRO) have extended their lead over arch-rivals Mat Belcher and Will Ryan (AUS). Once again, whatever the wildly variable conditions in Rio can throw at the Croatians, they seem to have an answer and today the result was 3,4 for Croatia, 8,10 for Australia. With an 11-point gap between them, Belcher will really need to turn it on for the final three qualifying races if he's to retain his Olympic crown.

London 2012 silver medallist Luke Patience (GBR) and his crew Chris Grube had a torrid time of the racing, picking up a UFD disqualification followed by a 20th place, which has dropped the British from third to tenth overall. This moves Panagiotis Mantis and Pavlos Kagialis (GRE) up to third.

Mixed Multihull - Nacra 17

Santiago Lange and Cecilia Carranza Saroli (ARG) have won the qualifying series in the Nacra 17 fleet after rounding off their scores with a second and first place. This means that Lange, the oldest competitor in the Olympic sailing competition at 57, holds a five point lead over Vittorio Bissaro and Silvia Sicouri (ITA) going into Tuesday's Medal Race. There are seven teams with a shot at gold, the others being AUT, AUS, NZL, SUI and FRA. Billy Besson and Marie Riou (FRA) couldn't follow up with the quite the stellar performance of the previous day, yet the four-time World Champions do have the slimmest of opportunities to come away with the Olympic title. That would be quite a turnaround after the week Besson has endured with his painful and debilitating back injury.

RESULTS / ENTRIES
                    A full list of sailors racing at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is available to view here - http://www.sailing.org/olympics/rio2...qMexternallink. Results will be available on World Sailing's Olympic Website when racing starts on Monday 8 August here - http://www.sailing.org/olympics/rio2...qMexternallink
                    Last edited by Photoboy; 08-14-2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

The Rio Report / N.8 - Strong Day for Team USA

Day 7 of the Olympic regatta was a good one for Team USA with Bora Gulari and Louisa Chafee punching a ticket to the Nacra 17 medal race, and Caleb Paine doing the same in the Finn class. Additionally, both Men's and Women's 470s put up pairs of single digit results further entrenching their top-ten standing.

Day 7 Report from Rio 2016.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - The U.S. Olympic Sailing Team had a successful day on the water after submitting strong scores across the Finn, Nacra 17, Men's 470 and Women's 470 classes, the only fleets with scheduled races on Sunday. Two more American boats have qualified for medal races in the Finn and Nacra 17 classes, with those contests to be held on Tuesday, August 16th just off of Rio's Flamengo Beach.

Caleb Paine (San Diego, Calif.) earned race scores of 10,4 on Sunday, and has earned a berth in the Finn class medal race, reserved for the top ten competitors in the men’s heavyweight one-person dinghy. "It's been a regatta of ups and downs," said Paine. "There is still a lot of sailing to be had, and I'm looking forward to finishing it off and hopefully getting a medal in the end."

Paine, a first-time Olympian, will enter the medal race on Tuesday in 4th place overall, and just five points behind Ivan Kljakovic Gaspic (Croatia) who is currently in bronze medal position. Based on the current scores, Paine has a shot at both the silver and bronze medal based on the outcome of the medal race, which counts for double points. Gold was clinched on Sunday by four-time Finn World Champion Giles Scott (Great Britain), the pre-Games favorite. "I've always come from behind, and I never stop fighting regardless of whatever situation I'm in," said Paine. "I'm looking forward to rolling into the medal race as prepared as possible, and hopefully we'll get it done."

Nacra 17 sailors Bora Gulari (Detroit, Mich.) and Louisa Chafee (Warwick, R.I.) submitted a strong day of racing on Sunday, with scores of 9,8,3 in three races, to earn a place in the Nacra 17 class medal race. This is the first career Team USA appearance for both Gulari and Chafee, and the first Olympic Games in which the high-speed, gender-mixed catamaran has been used. "Throughout the day of racing, we actually didn't want to know what [the points] were looking like," said Chafee. "We knew that if we just went out there relaxed and had fun, good things would happen." Gulari and Chafee are not in mathematical contention for a medal, but could rise as high as 5th overall based on the outcome of the medal race.

American 470 sailors enjoyed a strong day as well in both the men's and women's fleets. Annie Haeger (East Troy, Wisc.), Briana Provancha (San Diego, Calif.) had scores of 5, 2 for the day, and now stand in 2nd place overall in the 20-boat fleet. “In the first race we struggled a bit early on, but once we got into open space on the racecourse, we were able to get back on track," said Haeger. "Overall, we're happy with our day." First-time Olympians Haeger and Provancha stand four points behind London 2012 silver medalists Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark (Great Britain) and 8 points ahead of two-time 470 World Champions Lara Vadlau and Jolanta Ogar (Austria).

Three-time Olympian Stu McNay (Providence, R.I.) and teammate Dave Hughes (Miami, Fla.) earned finishes of 7,6 on Sunday, moving them up to 6th overall and 10 points from 3rd. The veteran team showed resilience on Day 6, climbing from 19th position to 7th in the first race of the day. "At this stage, every point is critical for keeping us in the hunt," said McNay. "We're just trying to fight like animals out there to pass as many boats as possible." Three races are scheduled for both the Men's and Women's 470 classes on Monday prior to a reserve day on Tuesday, and Wednesday's 470 medal races.

Paige Railey (Clearwater, Fla.) will compete in the Laser Radial medal race on Monday, August 14, scheduled to start at 1300 local time. Railey could rise as high at 8th overall based on the outcome of the medal race.

Both the 49er and 49erFX skiff classes had a reserve day on Sunday, and no races were held. Americans Paris Henken (Coronado, Calif.), Helena Scutt (Kirkland, Wash.),Thomas Barrows (St. Thomas, U.S.V.I) and Joe Morris (Annapolis, Md.) will return to action on Monday. Marion Lepert (Belmont, Calif.) and Pedro Pascual (West Palm Beach, Fla.) have concluded racing in the Men's and Women's RS:X classes, along with Laser sailor Charlie Buckingham (Newport Beach, Calif.).

Day 7: Sunday, August 14

Women's 470 (Top 10): No Racing On Saturday

1. GBR - MILLS Hannah / CLARK Saskia: 20

2. USA - HAEGER Annie / PROVANCHA Briana: 24

3. AUT - VADLAU Lara / OGAR Jolanta: 32

4. SLO - MRAK Tina / MACAROL Veronika: 33

5. FRA - LECOINTRE Camille / DEFRANCE Helene: 35

6. JPN - KONDO YOSHIDA Ai / YOSHIOKA Miho: 36

7. NZL - ALEH Jo / POWRIE Polly: 42

8. BRA - OLIVEIRA Fernanda / BARBACHAN Ana Luiza: 44

9. NED - ZEGERS Afrodite / VAN VEEN Anneloes: 47

10. CHI - HORWITZ Nadja / MIDDLETON Sofia: 58

Men's Finn: (Top 10)

1. GBR - SCOTT Giles: 32 (Clinched gold medal)

2. SLO - ZBOGAR Vasilij: 56

3. CRO - KLJAKOVIC GASPIC Ivan: 69

4. USA - PAINE Caleb: 74

5. SWE - SALMINEN Max: 74

6. BRA - ZARIF Jorge: 81

7. NED - POSTMA Pieter-Jan: 84

8. NZL - JUNIOR Josh: 84

9. ARG - OLEZZA BAZAN Facundo: 87

10. GRE - MITAKIS Ioannis: 88

Men's 470: (Top 10) No Racing On Saturday

1. CRO - FANTELA Sime / MARENIC Igor: 14

2. AUS - BELCHER Mathew / RYAN Will: 25

3. GRE - MANTIS Panagiotis / KAGIALIS Pavlos: 32

4. FRA - BOUVET Sofian / MION Jeremie: 36

5. AUT - SCHMID Matthias / REICHSTAEDTER Florian: 42

6. USA - MCNAY Stuart / HUGHES Dave: 42

7. SWE - DAHLBERG Anton / BERGSTROM Fredrik: 45

8. SUI - BRAUCHLI Yannick / HAUSSER Romuald: 50

9. NZL - SNOW-HANSEN Paul / WILLCOX Daniel: 54

10. GBR - PATIENCE Luke / GRUBE Chris: 58

Women's 49erFX: (Top 10, did not race on Sunday)

1. DEN - HANSEN Jena / SALSKOV-IVERSEN Katja Steen: 12

2. BRA - GRAEL Martine / KUNZE Kahena: 19

3. NZL - MALONEY Alex / MEECH Molly: 19

4. ESP - ECHEGOYEN DOMINGUEZ Tamara / BETANZOS MORO Berta: 24

5. ITA - CONTI Giulia / CLAPCICH Francesca: 31

6. GBR - DOBSON Charlotte / AINSWORTH Sophie: 32

7. NED - BEKKERING Annemiek / DUETZ Annette: 36

8. GER - JURCZOK Victoria / LORENZ Anika: 36

9. USA - HENKEN Paris / SCUTT Helena: 37

10. SWE - ERICSON Lisa / KLINGA Hanna: 38

Mixed Nacra 17: (Top 10)

1. ARG - LANGE Santiago / CARRANZA SAROLI Cecilia: 65

2. ITA - BISSARO Vittorio / SICOURI Silvia: 70

3. AUT - ZAJAC Thomas / FRANK Tanja: 72

4. AUS - WATERHOUSE Jason / DARMANIN Lisa: 74

5. NZL - JONES Gemma / SAUNDERS Jason: 79

6. SUI - BUHLER Matias / BRUGGER Nathalie: 80

7. FRA - BESSON Billy / RIOU Marie: 83

8. GBR - SAXTON Ben / GROVES Nicola: 91

9. USA - GULARI Bora / CHAFEE Louisa: 98

10. BRA - ALBRECHT Samuel / SWAN Isabel: 101

Men's Laser: (Final)

11. USA - BUCKINGHAM, Charlie: 37 points

Women's RS:X: (Final)

16. USA - LEPERT, Marion: 156.9 points

Men's 49er: (Did not race on Sunday)

19. USA - Barrows, Thomas / MORRIS, Joe: 37

Men's RS:X: (Final)

28. USA - PASCUAL, Pedro: 286 points

Comment

US Ailing needs an enema and NBC needs to get off the commercial crack!

Comment

A PED enema?

Comment

Carnage On The 49er Course

It was the most frustrating day so far of the Olympic sailing competition with the wind refusing to play fair on Guanabara Bay.
                            After sitting around for most of the day in next to no wind, the ten finalists for the Women's Laser Radial Medal Race were released from the shore just before 16:00 local time. At the time, the idea of wind arriving seemed optimistic, but just ten minutes later the breeze had risen to a very pleasant 15 knots. Just five minutes after that, the wind was gusting in at over 30 knots and the waves were building up quickly. The race committee made the reluctant call to postpone the Medal Race until Tuesday (16 August).

The Men's Laser Medal Race will also be pushed back to the same day, which will make for a very busy afternoon's entertainment as the Finns and Nacra 17s are also set to decide their medals.

All images © Juerg Kaufmann go4image.com

The 470 Men's and Women's fleets didn't manage any racing in the Bay as they waited for wind, but when the big 16:00 buster arrived, boats were capsizing everywhere. There were sails shredded in the gusts and it will be a long evening for some crews making sure their boats are repaired and ready for the next day.

Out on the ocean courses the 49er Men and 49erFX Women enjoyed some stunning conditions but for the Men's fleet it was a race to get back to the Marina da Gloria as the worst of the late afternoon gusts struck just as the last boats were crossing the finish line.

Of the abandoned Radial Medal Race, second placed Anne Marie Rindom (DEN) commented, "It was okay, no problems. Sailors are used to this. Sometimes we have days and days where we wait. It was no different today. Of course it was an important race that we had to sail today but it's okay. I think it was not a good decision to be sent out because we knew that the storm was coming and it was a good decision we didn't start.

"The wind was not only a little bit too much but it was also a bit shifty and we wouldn't have found the right winner today. They have all day tomorrow to do a race in 20 minutes so it's the right decision."

Women's Skiff - 49erFX

Tamara Echegoyen and Berta Betanzos (ESP) fired two bullets from today's three races on the Niterói course moving the reigning World Champions to the top of the scoreboard. Behind them are two former World Champion crews, Alex Maloney and Molly Meech (NZL) who are four points behind the Spanish in second, and Martine Grael and Kahena Kunze (BRA) just one point behind the Kiwis in third overall.

Although previous overnight leaders Jena Hansen and Katja Salskov-Iversen (DEN) scored a second in the last race of the day their earlier scores of 9,16 have hurt the Danish team who are now fourth overall. However, the Danes are only nine points off the lead and there are still three more qualifying races scheduled for Tuesday before Thursday's Medal Race.

Echegoyen, the London 2012 Olympic Champion in match racing, commented, "We are very happy, we have sailed very well today. It was very important to be very open minded, to be able to adapt ourselves to what was happening. We were well prepared for today's three races, both in terms of understanding the conditions with our meteorologist and also regarding the tactics.

"In the two first races it was clear where to go, but the third one was really crazy and we just sailed with the wind shifts. It has been a good day, but also quite difficult, we have had to work a lot. These results give us the confidence to keep on going in this way. Now we are leading but we are all very close on points. Still three races and the Medal Race ahead, so we have to go step by step and keep on going."

Men's Skiff - 49er

Perhaps inspired by French gold and bronze in the Windsurfing the previous day, Julien d'Ortoli and Noe Delpech fired their way up the rankings into fourth place after mastering the Copacabana course with two firsts and a third place. This puts the French just two points behind the third-placed Australians, reigning Olympic Champions Nathan Outteridge and Iain Jensen.

Meanwhile it's business as usual for the ever dominant Peter Burling and Blair Tuke (NZL) whose scores of 2,3,1 have opened up an 18-point lead over Erik Heil and Thomas Ploessel (GER). Even if the gold is beginning to get away from the Germans, they do at least have a healthy 15-point lead over the Aussies, with just three qualifying races remaining before the Medal Race.

Burling said, "We're pleased with three low scores, the boat was going really fast. We had some beautiful conditions for racing but got hit by a massive squall on the way in. It was maybe 45 or 50 knots." Tuke added, "A south-west front came in and it went from 11 knots to more than 40 knots in the space of ten minutes." Even the four-time World Champions capsized in the storm-force conditions. "We struggled to stay upright just with the mast up. Some massive waves out there, just happy to be back on shore," said Burling, shivering and itching to get back to checking over the boat for any damage.

The Germans seemed to enjoy the mad ride in through the storm a little more than the Kiwis. "We ragged it quite fast on the way in," said Heil. "But what lucky timing. Just after the last guy came across the finish line, the breeze came in 130 degrees from the other side, and with massive force. Even with just the mast up and no sails, we still needed to get on the trapeze to stop the boat tipping over. We have some boat work to do, we have damaged the sails, we have to check the mast."

Noe Delpech was barely thinking about what a good day he'd had after getting ashore - just happy to be in one piece. "We had three good starts and are very happy with our speed and strategy today. But then there was the wind that arrived straight afterwards. We capsized many times. The mainsail went flying through the air and it fell in the water but our coach managed to save it before we lost it. We had a bad last hour on the water. The sails are not in great condition but I think we are OK mostly."

Delpech was pleased to have closed in on the podium, but like all Olympic sailors never likes to get ahead of himself. "We are two points behind the bronze medal position, so yes, for sure we can start thinking about the options to get a medal, but we have still three important races to do tomorrow. We just go race by race."

The Skiffs will have to work quickly with another three races scheduled for tomorrow which looks to be a busy day. The Laser, Laser Radial, Finn and Nacra 17 will all have their Medal Race due to the postponements from today.

RESULTS / ENTRIES
                            A full list of sailors racing at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is available to view here - http://www.sailing.org/olympics/rio2...p#.V6ZHvo6BLqM. Results will be available on World Sailing's Olympic Website when racing starts on Monday 8 August here - http://www.sailing.org/olympics/rio2...p#.V6ZH_Y6BLqM

Comment

Laser Ladies Medal Race Complete!

Laser Radial: Marit Bouwmeester, Netherlands, Gold. Annalise Murphy Sailing, Ireland, Silver. Anne-Marie Rindom til OL, Denmark, Bronze.

Comment

Laser: Tom Burton Sailing, Australia, Gold. Tonči Stipanović, Croatia, Silver. Sam Meech, New Zealand, Bronze.

Comment

Working...
                                X