Staying The Course: Vendee Globe Soldiers On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying The Course: Vendee Globe Soldiers On

Fleet at start of the Vendee Globe, in Les Sables d'Olonne, France, on November 6th, 2016 - Photo Jean-Marie Liot / DPPI / Vendee Globe Flotte at the start of the Vendée Globe, in Les Sables d'Olonne on November 6, 2016 - Photo Jean-Marie Liot / DPPI / Vendee Globe

The health crisis which has shaken our society for a month has forced all players in the sports and economic world to adapt, in a context of uncertainty. The presidential address of April 13, however, laid the groundwork for an exit from containment and a possible resumption of demonstrations from mid-July. This latest information now allows the Vendée Globe to stay the course, with a view to a departure from Sables-d'Olonne on November 8.

"The technical and sporting program of contenders around the world solo nonstop and without assistance is today disrupted by this unprecedented crisis and we are particularly sensitive to it," said Yves Auvinet, president of SAEM Vendée. For several weeks, the SAEM Vendée has been in very regular contact with the skippers and all the protagonists of the Vendée Globe, to discuss these issues and propose solutions . Our desire is to be able to give the start of this 9th edition on November 8 under the best conditions, while remaining very attentive to the evolution of the situation ” .

The two solo transatlantic races initially scheduled for the Globe Series championship program this spring were to allow some skippers to qualify and others to test their monohull after the winter modification projects.

The IMOCA class and the department of Vendée, a major partner in the race, are working to finalize an alternative to the New York Vendée Les Sables-d'Olonne, a real dress rehearsal before the Vendée Globe and an essential race for the preparation of skippers.
    Its format will be revealed soon.

In the meantime, the Vendée Globe organization remains vigilant about the development of the health crisis linked to the Covid-19 and its implications.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Vendee Globe Teaser

A spanking new set of teasers from the folks at Vendee Globe!

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Comment

Working...
    X