No announcement yet.

The officially unofficial unauthorized PD DDR Divisions tread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would make an excellant knocker for the master bedroom.

Comment

• Kinda small, aren't they?

Comment

• Originally posted by Photoboy View Post
        Thanks so much for the efforts War Dog, no matter what Caca Cabeza sez, yer alright...
        But I have pictures...

Some day ask him how he BBQ'd his ass.

Good times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caca Cabeza View Post
          But I have pictures...

Some day ask him how he BBQ'd his ass.

Good times.
          Do tell!

Comment

• War Dog, would you like to go first or shall I?

Here's a hint: It involved "the beehive"

Comment

War Dog, would you like to go first or shall I?

Here's a hint: It involved "the beehive"

Hey come on now haven’t any of you gotten divorced and then went on a wild streak for a year or so? So there were a pair or two of lace panties in your spin bag and yes I did the walk of shame the morning of the south tower race. I might have even gotten drunk and dove off your spreaders naked before sitting on a hot BBQ and the rumor about the cute Redhead bartender might even be true. But come on now that was a few decades ago and I moved to WA and sailed on my Prindle for 3 or 4 years to to cleanse my sins. I am now a nice quite mellow person so lets let bygones be bygones!!!
              Last edited by war dog; 06-08-2011, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• That's pretty good. There so much beehive involved that I really couldn't remember the details.

Thanks for sharing.

Damn beehive

Comment

• I just got this from The Pecker Head……….

2011-06-08 12 41 01_0001.jpg

OK so let’s get this race wrapped up!!

Div –A Not Moore’s

1st- TBD- got their Rum

Div –B Moore’s

1st - Moore Wave-ohs- Moore 24
                  aA if I get the Rum to you can you pass it along?

I also have some shirts left if you want one let me know and If I have your size I’ll send it.

Last thing PH gave me a hat if you did the race and didn’t get one I’ll send it to you Out of town boats that finished 1st pick the Out of town that didn’t finish next.

I’m looking forward to next year it should be a ripper because we all know it cant be upwind 2………..ummm 3 years in a row!!!

Comment

• ...and in conclusion...

Stuff happens. As you know it was a very stormy day and at the west entrance to False River we got hit with a 25+ knot puff just as we were bearing away in a narrow channel. The Shadow cat buried her bows and gently cartwheeled over. We broke the rig just above the hounds when it hit the bottom and destroyed our brand new 3DI sails. Darn. Fortunately no one was hurt and the Protector got us upright in record time.

Peter Stoneberg on the unfortunate pitch pole

photo courtesy Wild Rumpus
                    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Comment

• Delta Ditch On a 5.70

Written by Steve Gonzalez (USA 296)

I know, what was I thinking? Just something I wanted to do even though everyone told me I was crazy to attempt this on a small asymmetric boat but what the heck. If we just did what’s easy we wouldn’t be sailing.

After three changes of crew and last minute as usual I managed to get the boat down to Richmond, in the water and ready to sail by Saturday morning. The final crew list was Andrea, her friend Zack and myself. Andrea and I have sailed together on the Open a couple of times and Zack has sailed with Joe up in South beach so we all knew the boat to some degree but definitely last minute.

The weather forecast a week ahead of time was for 80 degrees and sunny with NNW winds which would have been a great reach across San Pablo Bay. The weather 3 days before the race however was for rain and South East to Easterly winds. It was a little of everything depending on the time of day.

Saturday Morning – 6 am.:

Saturday morning was cold and rainy. Not pouring rain but just constant and enough to soak you through in a short time. At 6 am in Stockton the weather was overcast with intermittent drizzle. As we headed in towards Richmond it became constant drizzle with light rain.

We arrived around 7:30 am. I grabbed my gear and the ice chest and headed to the docks. The boat was still in the harbor from Thursday but now it was tied up next to a Melges 24 instead of the dock. Talking to some of the boats around us later on it seems that no one was quite sure how to tie up to us due to the low freeboard so they moved us out from the dock and used life vests hanging down between the boats to keep from bumping too much. That plus I don’t think they wanted to try carrying their gear across our boat after stepping aboard once with no lifelines to hold on to! Good for us because it would be easy to leave the raft up. I loaded all the gear on the boat and rigged everything except the spinnaker. I even remembered to tension the jib halyard for once then nothing to do but wait for the crew to arrive and the race to begin. Here is what it looked like at 8:30 in the morning:

Time to wait….

Around 8:00 am to 8:30 am crews started arriving and boats were getting prepared. By 9:00 am some of the early birds were heading out to warm up and the wind picked up for a bit. It was actually windy in the harbor for a short while and the wind was moving North which sounded good for us.

Crew arrives and we head out:

My crew showed up between 9:15 to 9:30, just in time to help the Melges 24 slide out from between us and the dock while listening to the starting gun go off for the Cruising division. Shortly thereafter another Melges 24 put in at the crane and came over to tie up to us so we went through the shuffle again. Shortly after that we decided to head out rather than mess with docking another boat to us so we proceeded out of the harbor with some other boats while the wind moved a bit further North. It was a little congested getting out but we just took our time and let the big boys out ahead of us. Still plenty of time as the start was just outside the harbor.

The start:

When we got out to the race area it was steady light rain. Full foulies went on before we left the dock and it looked like they were on to stay. Turns out there were almost 90 boats out there even with the wet, cold weather.

We did a little sailing around and figured out what we wanted to do for the start. The wind was getting light again so we played with the spinnaker a bit to see how high we could carry it without too much pressure and decided a pin end start with the wind from ENE would keep us out of traffic and let us close reach to the first point. After that it was trying to keep the boat slow enough that we didn’t have to spend out time tacking and jibing in all the traffic.

We finally came to our start time and we headed out following the Express 27’s. Looks like we missed our start due to some delay starting the Express 27’s but that’s typical of my starts these days. By the time we decided that’s what really happened it we figured it was better to take the penalty then go all the way back and restart. Not like we were screaming along but we were making good speed upwind and it took us a while to figure out that we were with the wrong set of 27 footers.

Here is a shot from the Express 27 Elise that they took on the stretch up past the bridge. Wet and grey….

Once we got going we were able to hold one tack until just before The Brothers at Point San Pablo. Including the 2 tacks at the point we averaged 5.85 knots an a very close reach of 3.9 nautical miles which kept us solid with all the Express 27’s. I think we even impressed them a bit that we were able to hold our own. Top speed for that section was 8.82 knots with our best 500 meter stretch at 7.22 knots so we were pretty happy. 39 minutes to the Brothers from the Richmond Harbor exit!

San Pablo Bay:

By the time we turned the corner at The Brothers, the wind was moving West but still light. We were hoping for the wind to pick up but no such luck for us so we got some practice trying to sail deep.

At first it seemed like we were just going side to side and making no progress down the Bay. When we tried to go deep the wind was so light we would stall out quickly and have to head back up to keep moving. Then we tried easing out the spinnaker halyard and the tack a foot or so and we were able to heel to windward and rotate the kite out from behind the Main. Now we finally get moving in the right direction with decent speed. Unfortunately we lost a lot of ground to the boats behind while figuring that out.

You can clearly see the difference in tack/jibe angles from the Brothers into San Pablo bay. Partly wind shift but a lot of it was spinnaker handling. It made a big difference and we could finally hold our own with the symmetrical spinnaker boats instead of just giving away our lead.

Average speed from The Brothers to Point Pinole was 4.99 knots over 5.4 nautical miles. Top speed here was 8.26 knots with a 500 meter best of 6.76 knots. Another 1 hour and 4 minutes gone by.

Point Pinole to Hercules:

By now we were out in the deep water of San Pablo bay. A lot of the boats were staying further in towards shore after rounding Point Pinole but we decided to stay in the current and hope the wind would be a little stronger out here. Not sure it was the right decision but the Moore 24’s had caught up to us while we were figuring out how to go deep and fast (one start behind us) and we figured they knew what they were doing so we couldn’t go too wrong.

Not much to do here but drive and take advantage of any wind shifts. We had to jibe out and back to get out of traffic once but mostly we just tried to keep moving in the right direction with as much speed as we could. We could see the boats in along the shore moving well and towards the end of this stretch we saw a small sportboat with a masthead spinnaker just booking through the big boats like they were standing still. Turns out that was the modified i550 Carbon Offset although we didn’t know it at the time.

As the wind continued to ease up we moved closer towards shore as the boats there were still sailing with full spinnakers but it was tough going as the wind didn’t give us a lot to work with. We came to a dead stop at one point on this stretch for a short time and all we could do was wait for wind and watch the boats closer to shore still moving.

Stats for this section were 2.8 knots average speed over 3.97 nautical miles in an hour and 24 minutes. We had a couple of spots with 0 knots forward speed but the current kept us from going backwards. Best top speed was 5.39 knots with our best 500 meter run at 4.57 knots

Hercules to Mare Island:

We spent what felt like forever sitting in that hole in the water with a few big boats around us while frantically trying to figure a way out of the hole. Zack and Andrea must have put the kite up and down30-50 times that day and a lot of those times were during this stretch as the wind kept changing direction. At one point we did at least one 360 trying to follow it then took down the kite and waited. The rain came back for bit as well and thankfully shrouded the site of the Carquinez bridge that was just sitting there tempting us. It also decided to dump rain on us again. It was so cold we could see Zack’s breath. This is June????

When the wind finally did come back it was now in front of us coming out of the East. A 180 degree shift! That explains the hole we were in so long.

We doused the spinnaker, rolled out the jib and started out across the bay. Finally making some speed and the boat and crew were happy for a bit. I think the sun even came out for a while.

The race committee came by to notify everyone about a car tanker coming in and to stay out of the shipping channel. Turns out it was going to dock just before the bridge at that long pier you can see on the map.

We stayed South of the channel for a while then went out towards Mare Island with a trimaran that was out there with us just to stay away from the carrier ship. Wind was fresh and the boat wanted to go. The seas weren’t bad so it was actually a lot of fun.

After getting out of the hole our stats picked up a bit. We averaged 4.38 knots over 4.37 nautical miles for this stretch in 59 minutes. The top speed was 7.57 knots and top 500 meter run was at 6.3 knots. Big improvement over the last leg

Mare Island to the Carquinez bridge:

With the bridge just ahead and the wind picking up I was feeling pretty good. Unfortunately it was getting on towards 3 pm and we were only about ¼ of the way to Stockton. A discussion ensued and it was decided to turn back to Richmond. I compromised and agreed to turn back after we made it past the bridge. At least I felt like we had passé one more hurdle.

When we turned around the wind was in the low teens and rising. I found out later that it was blowing over 20+ in Suisun Bay and the esses a ways up ahead of us and most of the boats were turning back at that point so I am sure it was a good decision but a bit of a let down after all the work to get this far.

Stats for this section were an average speed of 6.24 knots in just over 2 nautical miles in 19 minutes. Max speed was 10 knots reaching with a best 500 meters at 6.9 knots.

The road home:

Once we turned around it was time to pop the chute again. I let the crew drive for a while and just sulked and ate a sandwich. I finally realized that I never started the camera so I turned it on for a bit. Here is a snapshot from the ride home with Zack driving and Andrea enjoying the sunshine. We actually saw the sun!

We were hoping for a nice fast downwind run back to the bay but the weather wasn’t done with us yet. We hit the same holes on the way back and motor sailed through them this time. Luckily there weren’t too many of them (Torqueedo motor) and the closer we got to the bay the stronger the wind was – and it changed direction – again! The final part of the return trip was against a westerly into the bay. We played tag with a Wyliecat 30 on the way in and kept ahead of them for quite a while but they caught up as we got near the Richmond bridge and passed us heading into Richmond. We even fired up the motor to try and catch up but I like to think that they were motor sailing as well since even with the motor helping they still continued to pull away.

We hit the harbor at 7:30 and had the boat tied up for the night by 8:30. I think we ran the battery on the motor down to 11%. Plenty for moving the boat around on Sunday to the hoist plus we still had the second battery in reserve – just in case.

Zack gave me a ride out to Stockton where my car and trailer were staying and we picked up the obligatory shirts. I was expecting to see boats and trailers lined up along the road and lots of people partying. Instead there were just a handful of trailers and no boats pulling out. The party was small and mainly locals. Only 3 boats had finished by 11 pm with a few motoring in during that time as well. Zack headed back and I hung out for a while and had a drink or two with friends.

A very subdued Delta Ditch run again this year. 22 boats finished in the monohull divisions and some of those weren’t in until 6 am Sunday morning.

The trip up was 4 hours and 34 minutes. The trip back to Richmond took us 4 hours and 10 minutes. Elapsed time was 8 hours and 44 minutes but I guess that’s a lot less than 3am or 6 am on Sunday.

Would I do it again? Definitely – but not until next year.
                      http://www.open570usa.com/index.php?...mid=89&lang=en

Comment

• Originally posted by war dog View Post
                        Hey come on now haven’t any of you gotten divorced and then went on a wild streak for a year or so? So there were a pair or two of lace panties in your spin bag and yes I did the walk of shame the morning of the south tower race. I might have even gotten drunk and dove off your spreaders naked before sitting on a hot BBQ and the rumor about the cute Redhead bartender might even be true. But come on now that was a few decades ago and I moved to WA and sailed on my Prindle for 3 or 4 years to to cleanse my sins. I am now a nice quite mellow person so lets let bygones be bygones!!!
                        Laced panties and Walk of Shame? We're missing something here...

Comment

• Originally posted by Photoboy View Post
                          Laced panties and Walk of Shame? We're missing something here...
                          I'm pretty sure WD was a boy scout because he was PREPARED. Sort of. He was prepared, but forgot a blanket. That's where the spinnaker came in.

The line of the day was when the kite first went up and the panties gently floated through the ether was WD: "Oh, that's where they went".

The walk of shame had 3 legs left to sail.

Comment

I'm pretty sure WD was a boy scout because he was PREPARED. Sort of. He was prepared, but forgot a blanket. That's where the spinnaker came in.

The line of the day was when the kite first went up and the panties gently floated through the ether was WD: "Oh, that's where they went".

The walk of shame had 3 legs left to sail.
                            Didn't know the boy scouts packed lacy pantys as part of their service pack. Gotta hand it to them though, they think of everything!

Comment

Working...
                            X