Northern Century - PNW Shorthanded Sailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Century - PNW Shorthanded Sailing

Back in 2008 short handed sailing became the hot topic up in the Pacific Northwest. People hmmed and haaawed, the venerable short handed sailing society of the PNW was re-invigorated and 2 very promising races came out of the discussion. Both sponsored by Clear Ahead Marine Productions, the WIRW promoter, these races promised to be endurance challenges through some tough PNW terrain.

The races where the Northern Century up in the San Juan Islands and the Double Jeopardy through the long and confusing Puget Sound. The first year of the Northern Century went off without a hitch - Sailing around the San Juans from Anacortes, up to Point Roberts, around Hein Bank and back to Anacortes. A long challenging race with the intent of sailing through the night with the Friday evening start. Rocky, muddy terrain with some strong currents combine with a jaunt through the shipping lanes in Haro Strait and Boundary Pass to make this a challenging venture for sure. Northern Century had a small turnout that first year but boats where able to finish - a Success!

Double Jeopardy had an equally small turnout - this race started at Shilshole on Friday night, went out around Smith Island, then Protection Island, and then Blakely Rock before returning to the finish at Shilshole. Taking the fleet through some flukey transition spots with some strong currents made it tough, but the real problem was the amount of commercial vessel traffic that at times had the fleet fearing for their lives as they drifted with the current at Pt. Wilson. One boat, First Edition, finished this race on Sunday morning - it’s reviews killed it. Too much vessel traffic, too many transition zones. In hindsight I’d say we went into this with the wrong approach. Each Island could be rounded in any direction and any order. We should have headed to Blakely Rock first, then sailed through the night North, not reaching the congested area till sun up. Anchor to rest when needed, then continue on and finish well rested. I still think this one can be done but for now it’s dead in its wake.

Anyway, back to the success, Northern Century! In it’s first year “Northern100 was awesome,” says’ Ian Sloan. “Light, moderate, heavy air with lots of navigational challenges and plenty of current.” For 2009, its second year, they brought in 9 boats in the double handed division and 5 boats in a fully crewed division. They added the fully crewed division in the hopes of getting more boats out to see the course and conditions - maybe they would do double handed next year if they saw how fun it was? Things seemed to work because in 2010 they had two separate divisions of double handed sailors and one division of fully crewed - 32 entries, up from the previous years 14!

Anacortes Yacht Club put on a huge pre-race party with libations, music, and even a boat parade through Cap Sante Marina. But once started the fleet quickly sailed into no wind and anchoring, rafting, running aground commenced. It was a long slow night for the large fleet but eventually things got going and by Sunday 50% of the boats where able to finish the race, 9 double handed entries and 7 fully crewed. Getting out there and trying is the hardest part of this race - but 16 boats completing the course, WOW, great work! As Stephanie Schwenk puts it “really fun times, even though we pulled the plug early. I'll be back!”

The 2011 version of the Northern Century is quickly approaching - August 26th. The information and online registration can be found HERE at the Anacortes Yacht Club Website. Seven boats are already signed up and in the double handed division things are already looking tough. A quick look at the list shows Jespersen, Martin, Emsley, Burnell & Welch three last names that always seem to be in the top three on any regatta’s results list. Quickly becoming “THE” shorthanded race of the Pacific Northwest, look for Northern Century to keep growing and developing in the years to come.

A little disorganization goes a long way toward fun sailing.

Thanks for the promo Ben! This is definitely one of the BEST shorthanded races in the Salish Sea. We have finished the race all three years we did it on the Stranger, in 27 hours in 2008, 30 hours in 2009, and 33 hours in 2010, so finishing is never really an issue. Now, all the things you start seeing in the night while slowly approaching the finish line after 40 some odd ours with no sleep... thats a different story! The DH div is definitely not for the faint of heart, but its a great experience if you are into the endurance aspect.

Anyway the entry list is shaping up to be the most competitive yet. Some boats as you say did it crewed last year and are now registered DH this time around. The Moore would make a great boat for DH!
    Anacortes Rigging.com Rigging and Yacht Services

Comment

How's the entry going?

Comment

11 so far. You going to bring the MUD?

Comment

No plans as of yet, got a bunch of work to do when we get back from the Gorge.

Comment

Can't wait. I hope there is some wind this year.

Comment

Doesn't look like we will be doing this one but I think we may be up there cruising and watching. I hear Sean T is planning on taking some night shots, doing some experimenting on that dark aspect of the race. Should be cool.

Comment

Here is some Spot Tracker information write-up stuff...

Comment

Nice write up.

Comment

So any Tracker predictions?

Comment

So 42 boats are signed up for the Northern Century in 3 separate divisions....and the start is tonight. 100 miles around the San Juan Islands with winds forecast in the 10 to 15 knot range and 70 degree temps during the day.

Obviously Icon will lead the fleet around the course but for the Double handed slower rated boats I would think White's J80 would lead the class around the course but look for Brackett's Juan 24 to be sailing a bit too close to the leaders for them to correct out.

For the Double handed fast group this one will be tough. You have Buchan, Jespersen and Martin chasing Welch around the course on the big custom Perry. But there is also an Olson 30 in the class, a great boat for this race. I'm going to watch for Buchan on his custom Madrona and Johnson's Olson 30 IDEFIX for this class

For the Fully Crewed slower rated class you've got Cocoran's Hotfoot 27 and Rinker's Impulse 26 that look like great platforms for this race. It'll be interesting to see which wins out, but don't count out the all girlie crew on the SC27 Wild Rumpus!

For the Fully Crewed Fast rated class anything goes - the boats to watch will be Burnells J109 Tantivy, Kings Olson 40 String Theory, Johnson's Cookson 12m White Cloud and Stouts modified Mac65 Joss. Expect Joss to lead the fleet around the course but if Johnson can keep the Cookson off the rocks I'd look to them for the silver platter.

Who's gonna go down Rosario, Who's gonna go through the Islands and Cattle Pass? I really don't know....but it will be fun to watch on the tracker to find out!

Comment

Predictions again Ben? Didn't you learn your lesson at Race Week!?!

This is the most competitive group of boats yet in the four years running of this race, and another big step forward in total # of boats participating. Really a great step and I think it show just how important it is to mix up events, change things every once in a while to keep the racing interesting. (How about a new name and format for PITCH!?!) Sure you have the classics, like Swiftsure and RTC, but then there is Southern Straits which is different every year which I think helps a lot to keep it fun and keep participation up. Also a good indication of the growing interest in double handed racing.

F*** your predictions! Bring it on!

Comment

The two most interesting duels oughtta be Rumpus and Blackfoot (gotta be a bet between the schwenks) along with Magic Juan and the Orange Blob... I'd figure an epic flyer will be taken by either Rumpus or Blackfoot...

Wouldn't count Ptolemy out of the fast DH'ers either...

I'm hoping we get the Islander 30 back to Guemes before 1600 on Sunday...

Comment

Sadly we had to pull out of the race on Cinco this year. This is a must race and one that will surpass RTC soon and eventually Swiftsure IMO.

Good luck everyone, and yes I think someone should and will go up Guemes channel and back down Rosario to Pt Bob......and actually make it pay!

Sadlywatchingfromtheside,

CdM

Comment

I'm OK with sticking out on a limb and being wrong with some fun predictions, gets something to watch Ian.

So the start was a light reacher into breeze across the bay until Guemes, east side where the fleet stopped in a hole. Blackfoot, Reignmaker and one other boat chose to head out Guemes Channel and up Rosario, everyone else played the light spotty winds on the East side of the Island. Joss did really well working through the light stuff....

Currently Madrona and White Cloud have made the move inside of San Juan towards Cattle Pass. Icon and 2 Multi's are out in Haro strait. All seem to be in wind.

Comment

Working...
                              X