CYC Seattle - Is this the End?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CYC Seattle - Is this the End?

Seems that CYC Seattle's troubles are continuing and building to the point that they have to do something before it goes under. Obviously the lack of a "Serious" racing club in Seattle WILL change things - maybe bad, maybe good. What do you think?

Here is a link to the full CYC Seattle Boards notification of the problem and their plans. Take a moment to read the entire PDF file.

The following programs would be effected for both member and Non-members:
    CSS, PSSR, PSSC, WIRW, Grand Prix, NOOD – Sailing on Lake Washington and Puget Sound Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights as well as Friday nights in August. Obviously other clubs could step in and do RC work for WIRW and Grand Prix, but they would definitely change. The others would disappear or be attempted by other clubs. Mostly Buoy racing sausage courses and only 3 mid distance fixed mark races.

Will the failure of CYC Seattle kill racing in Seattle? Will other clubs step in and fill the void? What's the predictions or ideas for help at CYC Seattle? Obviously throwing more money at it and continuing as they are won't work, what will?

They'll keep the norm and nothing will change
    12.50%
    They'll close up shop and we'll see a for sale sign on the club house
    0.00%
    They'll restructure, reduce cost, and increase fun to entice more membership participation
    62.50%
    I don't really care what happens to CYC Seattle
    25.00%
    A little disorganization goes a long way toward fun sailing.

wow, no one wants to touch this?

I personally hope they don't go under, but a restructure and maybe a step back from the high cost racing wouldn't hurt.

Comment

From an outsider looking in, I'd say there's hope. The letter sets the right tone - everything is on the table, all are encouraged to help think it through, and they didn't wait to act until the checks started bouncing. Unless there's a huge mortgage payment or other large and truly fixed costs, the club should be able to pare everything back and ride it out. IMO the "survival budget" needs to be the working document - that keeps the focus of the white board talks where it needs to be. "Here's the revenue we can expect, here are the truly fixed costs, now how do we want to spend what's left?"

The programs that are too important to cut will continue (and actually flourish) with more volunteers. These are tough times for yacht clubs financially, but it could be the beginning of a renaissance if it causes more members to get involved and humble themselves to work together.

Comment

Well said.

Comment

How many events does CYC hold annually?

Are they paid staff and RC?

How would you compare them to one of the Bay Area clubs?

Comment

I think most Puget Sound and Lake races care, but CYC has been soliciting feedback for what to do publically for at least a year and they have enough able and intelligent folks to figure it out.

Comment

@ IOR - CYC Seattle boasts that they do more races than any other yacht club in the country - their RC staff is paid, they have two large RC power boats and a number of small whaler mark boats. Their facility is a floating club house, similar to Monterey YC, and the Port of Seattle doesn't give them any breaks on Moorage even though by being their they bring in a number of CYC boats into full moorage at Shilshole.

@ Rogue- Alex, Obviously racers care about CYC and yes they have been soliciting feedback for about a year and have obviously not gotten the answer they need, other wise they would not have sent out this PDF.... Although - there are a large group of area cruisers and racers that do not participate in CYC events - I'm guessing these people would be sad for CYC and it's members if they closed their doors but it's closing would effect them negatively as they will probably end up with more members in their groups because of it.

Comment

@ IOR - CYC Seattle boasts that they do more races than any other yacht club in the country - their RC staff is paid, they have two large RC power boats and a number of small whaler mark boats. Their facility is a floating club house, similar to Monterey YC, and the Port of Seattle doesn't give them any breaks on Moorage even though by being their they bring in a number of CYC boats into full moorage at Shilshole. The club does not own any property or dock facilities

@ Rogue- Alex, Obviously racers care about CYC and yes they have been soliciting feedback for about a year and have obviously not gotten the answer they need, other wise they would not have sent out this PDF.... Although - there are a large group of area cruisers and racers that do not participate in CYC events - I'm guessing these people would be sad for CYC and it's members if they closed their doors but it's closing would effect them negatively as they will probably end up with more members in their groups because of it.

Comment

They do a great job every time I participate in one of their events. Someone once told me that they run more races annually than any other club in the country. The clubhouse is pretty fun as well, I like the floating YC packed full of sailors after events. It would be a real shame if they went under.

What exactly are the budget shortfalls? BobJ seems to have then right idea from my perspective... They will have to cut costs until they reach a sustainable budget. If that means reducing the amount of races they run then so be it there will be less racing. However if that means they can't keep the doors open even if they don't run ANY races, then the situation is pretty dire. Its hard for me to believe they let it get to that point. But I'm pretty unaware of the inner workings of the club.
                  Anacortes Rigging.com Rigging and Yacht Services

Comment

Working...
                  X