RED BULL FLUGTAG SAN FRANCISCO Saturday, November 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RED BULL FLUGTAG SAN FRANCISCO Saturday, November 10

Every single rule in the aviation handbook will be broken when Red Bull Flugtag lands in San Francisco. Watch test pilots redefine air travel when they launch their human-powered flying machines off a 30-foot ramp into the chilly McCovey Cove waters. Mark your calendar and inflate your floaties for Saturday, November 10.

Red Bull Flugtag challenges teams of everyday people to build homemade, human-powered flying machines and pilot them off a 30-foot high deck in hopes of achieving flight! Flugtag may mean "flying day" in German, but all these crafts ultimately splash into the waters below. They are judged not only on their flight's distance, but creativity and showmanship as well.

http://redbullflugtagusa.com

RED BULL FLUGTAG SAN FRANCISCO
    Saturday, November 10

WHERE AND WHEN WILL THE SAN FRANCISCO EVENT TAKE PLACE?
    Red Bull Flugtag San Francisco will take place on November 10, 2012 at McCovey Cove. Gates open at 11:00 a.m. (though the waters
    will be open for boats all day) with the first flight departing at 1 p.m. The final flight will take off about 3:30 p.m. and will be
    immediately followed by the awards ceremony.

WHAT DOES FLUGTAG MEAN?
    Flugtag, which is pronounced FLOOG-TOG, means “flying day” in the German language.

WHAT EXACTLY IS RED BULL FLUGTAG?
    At Red Bull Flugtag, teams of up to five people have worked for months building homemade, human-powered flying machines
    which one person pilots off of an elevated flight deck, through the air, and into a body of water. Teams are judged based on three
    criteria – flight distance, creativity and showmanship – by a panel of local and national celebrities.

WHAT DO THE PLANES TYPICALLY LOOK LIKE?
    How much imagination do you have? Red Bull Flugtag flying machines range from realistic plane replicas to anything the
    imagination can conjure up. Past crafts include a Flying Purple People Eater, Santa and his sleigh, a flying toilet and even a flying
    cheeseburger. To gain more showmanship points, participants often wear outrageous costumes, act out skits, and create their own
    music soundtracks for the flight.

WHAT ARE THE RULES?
    All crafts must be human-powered - no engines or external energy sources allowed. Prefabricated crafts will not be accepted. Each
    craft must be less than 30-feet wide and not more than 450 lbs. (including the pilot), and craft pilots must be at least 18 years old.

HOW MANY RED BULL FLUGTAGS HAVE BEEN PRODUCED?
    There have been more than 100 Red Bull Flugtag events around the world – from Rome to Los Angeles. The first Red Bull Flugtag
    took place in 1991 in Vienna, Austria, as the brainchild of Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz.

WHEN WAS THE FIRST RED BULL FLUGTAG PRODUCED IN THE UNITED STATES?
    The first U.S. Red Bull Flugtag was produced in October 2002 in San Francisco. Before returning to San Francisco this year for its
    10-year anniversary, Red Bull Flugtag has landed in Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Miami, Portland, Long Beach,
    Baltimore, Cleveland, Tempe, Nashville, Tampa Bay, the Twin Cities and Philadelphia.

WHAT IS THE FARTHEST FLIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF RED BULL FLUGTAG?
    The current record is 228 feet held by a German team from this year’s competition in Mainz, Germany. The record for the farthest
    flight in the US currently stands at 207 feet and was set at Red Bull Flugtag Twin Cities (MN) in 2010 by team Major Trouble and the
    Dirty Dixies.

WHERE WAS THE LARGEST CROWD?
    London holds the record with over 250,000 spectators at the 2003 event, during which Hyde Park was closed due to capacity (which
    has only happened one other time in history which was during a free Rolling Stones concert). Red Bull Flugtags in the U.S. have
    drawn crowds ranging from 35,000 to 110,000.

HOW MANY TEAMS PARTICIPATE?
    Thirty-six teams have been chosen to participate.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

With some AC 72 wing scrap, the record could be broken!

Comment

Shannon Falcone (right), Oracle Team USA sailing team member, kneels next to part of a wing
      salvaged from the Oracle Team USA AC72 boat, which capsized on October 16, 2012, as he talks
      with Tom Speer (partially seen at left), Oracle Team USA Aero & Sail Project Leader, as he works
      on constructing a human-powered flying machine for Red Bull Flugtag San Francisco 2012 at the
      team base on Monday, November 5, 2012 in San Francisco, Calif. The part of the wing salvaged
      off the AC72 boat will be used on the flying machine being constructed. Photo: Lea Suzuki, The Chronicle / SF

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...#ixzz2BT4Y6G8Q

When life destroys your sailboat, make it into a plane?

That's what Oracle Team USA is doing with the shards of the $8 million racing catamaran AC72 that toppled in San Francisco Bay and was swept out to sea last month.
      The ragtag group of sailors and crew members are building a tiny model of their wrecked sailboat to participate in Saturday's Red Bull Flugtag in San Francisco, a silly event in which 33 teams will compete to see how far they can launch eclectic flying devices into the water from a 30-foot-tall platform.

The Flugtag - German for flight day - generally draws teams of goofballs and super nerds intent on gliding over McCovey Cove for a split second longer than their rivals. The Flugtag, which is staged at venues around the world, is often shown in Red Bull television commercials.

Some teams compete to set the world record.
      Most just to make a scene.

And Oracle's shrunken catamaran sailboat named the "Spirit of 17" isn't exactly designed to fly.

"We're gonna pitch-pole right off the platform," Oracle Team USA sailor Shannon Falcone predicted, describing an elaborate sailboat crash that sends the boat tiller over teakettle - exactly what wrecked the big AC72 boat in October.

"So everybody will have a replay of what happened when the big boat crashed," Falcone said with a smirk.

Falcone, who is skippering the team's effort to build the tiny flying boat, said he hoped the project would distract his teammates from the October crash that destroyed their only boat and crippled their training schedule for next year's America's Cup competition. A replacement boat won't be ready until February.

"Sitting at lunch, I saw a (video) feed of the Flugtag, and I thought maybe we could do that," said Falcone, 30. "I thought it would be a good way for us all to come together. ... Everyone's in for watching me go down in flames."

So Falcone sketched out a plan on a napkin and enlisted the help of team Oracle's crack aerodynamic experts, who spend their day jobs designing the most advanced wing sails in the sport.

"You get the designers loose on wing design and crikey - all the little kid comes out in everyone," Falcone said. "I had to remind them that it was something that was going to get destroyed."

As it stands now, the 1-to-5-scale boat uses two carbon fiber paddle boards, plenty of tape and some foam to create the rough outline of the two-hulled sailboat. A 12-foot sail will shoot into the air and, just before go time, it will be rotated 90 degrees to become a horizontal wing.

Falcone said he has found most of the pieces for his contraption lying around at the Oracle team base on Pier 80 - including a few bits of AC72 carbon fiber that cleanup crews found floating in the Pacific.

"I just go out and find what I can find" in the workshop, Falcone said, as he tore wires off a carbon pole he liberated from the top of a storage container.

Jimmy Spithill, the team skipper, said if he weren't judging the Flugtag event on

Saturday, he would strap his helmet on and ride out the 30-foot drop with Falcone.

"I'm jealous, I really want to fly," Spithill said as he watched Falcone scamper around the workshop. "This guy is a multihull expert."

Falcone joined late, so he can't compete in the main event. But even as a sideshow to the sideshow, Spithill said he still had high hopes.

"I've got a feeling they're going to get a good score - at least from one of the judges," Spithill said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...#ixzz2BT4zHUOs

Comment

This should be interesting!

Comment

Very cool! Nice play Shannon!

Comment

Le Ramp d' Flutag...setting up in McCovey Cove

Wonder if Big Bird will show up?

Comment

am thinking, IF the vessel/vehicle sinks, what happens to the debris? littering the bay or do they take all the crap out?

Comment

Todd Tholke has already set up recovery rights!

Comment

BadumpBump!

Good one!

Comment

Looks like they'll be launching toward the ballpark. Good for shoreside viewing, not so great for anchoring out as I'm planning.

Comment

Actually they are launching towards lefty O'Doul Bridge... I have a call into the director to get the scoop on what
                      will work and what won't... Could be a sail to SB Harbor and walk over deal would be best...

Comment

From Flutag HQ...

CAN I WATCH RED BULL FLUGTAG FROM MY BOAT?

Absolutely! The water will be open to boat traffic all day, so come at 10:30am and get some of the best views available. However, for everyone’s safely, please be sure to stay outside the buoy lines marking the flight path for our Red Bull Flugtag flying crafts. Also, please note the following:

- Respect the Police and Fire Boats that are working in the area
                        - Listen to instructions from PD and be prepared to move if requested by SFPD
                        - No more than three boats lashed together

No media boats get any special access other than what is noted above.
                        Thanks!

Comment

"Platform done. Now need to design wing attachment system, balance wing CG to 25% chord,
                          build tail and test flap angles and find some kickass wheels...all in the next 40hrs "

Shannon Falcone

Comment

Hmmm. They did get the message it's supposed to be a plane, not a boat, right?

Comment

According to the article, it will convert on the ramp from sailboat to a flying contraption.

With the engineering support from the Oracle design staff, and enough breeze, it might just fly further
                              than anything out there!

Comment

Working...
                              X