Rites of Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rites of Spring

This weekend -main bay. 1 race random leg thingy. We're in on Flash(Multi 23). Anyone else?

Looks like a great weather forecast.

Info for the masses

NOR and Entry

Course and SI's

Fleet Assignments
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Comment

Buoy Boy sez G is off station...

Comment

He lost another one?

Comment

Fortunately G isn't one of the course marks.

This is my first time. Are the courses always this bizarre? I'm talking about a long downwind leg with a half-mile jog upwind or on a beam reach right in the middle of it. Apparently designed to discourage shorthanders from flying spinnakers. Not to mention trying to remember what the next mark is!

Comment

yes, these courses are always a challenge for the shorthander!

I have a laminated central bay course sheet, picked up at the boat show a few years ago I think - bring the Sharpie and in those 5 minutes before your start outline the course.

At least, that's what I try to do - one year it was blowing 25+ with major squalls coming in (2 years ago?) and I was happy to just get the course mark identified.

Comment

First timer's ignorant question:
              Uh, how does this multiple courses thing work? Does the RC make secret/random pairings of courses & fleets and only make the pairs known at the 5 minute warning?

With no landlubbing weekend agenda and a decent forecast, I registered not realizing this is one of those wacky -- fun wacky -- SF races like 3BF. Not sure I can make the skipper's meeting so it'd be great to have an idea what I'm in for.

Comment

They also chat over the radio, but yeah, you might not know till your 5 minute warning.

Comment

Thanks, Hapa. Time to laminate me a yra marks map, too, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanno View Post
                    Fortunately G isn't one of the course marks.

This is my first time. Are the courses always this bizarre? I'm talking about a long downwind leg with a half-mile jog upwind or on a beam reach right in the middle of it. Apparently designed to discourage shorthanders from flying spinnakers. Not to mention trying to remember what the next mark is!
                    Confusion is a state of mind.

Confuscious

Comment

whadda way to run a race!!! wishing i could look out the window and see all the little (and big) boats! i saw a sailboat last night sailing into Rota's harbor AFTER sunset!

Comment

All the details are here: www.jibeset.net/OYC000.php?RG=T009481331

Comment

First race on Flash - we knew going in that rated level with the Corsair 31 and 37, we would have a tough time in the light upwind. And guess what, it was a light, long upwind from the Berkeley pier start area to the first mark by Red Rock. We held our own at first, but by Southhampton we were pretty well back. By the time we had to tack away from the Potrero reach breakwater, we decided splitting with the fleet would be a good thing, and the boats over in Keller Cove looked becalmed anyway. We flopped back at what we thought was the lay line to the center span of the bridge, cause we didn't really know where the mark was. It didn't seem anyone else did either as some of the monos were way up at the bridge, others were on the west side of Red Rock, etc.

It didn't matter much as the wind went from a pleasant 6-8 (and in which we were slow) to almost nothing, and it turns out in almost nothing, we were fast again(relative to the other trimarans anyway). However, with the ebb, we pretty much sat in place for about 30+ minutes. Then we finally made out th e '6' on the red can, and things started looking very good. We ended up getting lifted right up to that mark (still on port) and it made our little split with the fleet look very smart indeed, as the the tri fleet over by the Chevron dock realized they were going to the wrong mark. Mas Rover came across and rounded what looked to be a short distance ahead of us, but that ebb was a killer. They got around and in the ebb and took off, we pretty much sat there. I would guess there was a 15 minute gap caused by about 200 yards of distance.

2nd around, neck and neck with the triple handed F27 Quick set (small boats are very nice sometimes) and it was a very tight reach. We tried to hold high, watching Mas Rover head off in the distance, but we weren't too smart this time - we held too high and would up in the lee of angel. Kite down, bounce a round a bit, and finally get some clear air to the mark. Sweet broad reach, but that darn F27 got by underneath us. Pretty uneventful but very fun blast reach over to the edge of Treasure, then the kite back up, and down to the final turning mark. Drop and a quick jog up, then up to finish.would've been 3rd multi across the line, but ended up 2nd as the triple hander bowed out right at the finish.

First race observations.

very light air - we move along nicely.
                          6-8 upwind, we're short, and it shows. Waterline and power are king
                          6-8 tight reaching - hold about equal to an F27 with a screecher, maybe lose a little bit
                          12-15+, blast reaching - our angles are hotter than the F27, but hard to say about VMG. There is some very nice acceleration in the bigger puffs.

Unfortunately, my phone decided to stop the track so I don't have one to share. It would've looked funny with a 30 minute stop in the action off Potrero Reach…

New home for Flash at Ballena Bay is a hit. Full power sail all the way to the harbor.

Lot's of fun - the little boat is a hoot. Off the breeze acceleration is pretty good for a non-dinghy sized ride.

Cheers,
                          HapaPops
                          Flash (Multi 23)

Comment

Ultimate 24, For Pete's Sake, doublehanded, first to finish

Martin32, Solar Wind, singlehanded, first to finish

Probably Not Racing, singlehanded, lookin' good

Try Baby Tri, Telstar 28 with a jury-rigged outhaul, ahead of Crews Nest, Catalina 34

Little Cat, Wharram Tiki 21, finished after the Telstar 28

Multi23 Flash moving x knots faster than the F-27 to leeward

Finish is to leeward of Treasure Island

Corsair 37 CR, Transit of Venus

Comment

Looked for the fleet about noonish, no could find...went out the Gate and hung around Bonita, cause
                              there's no way for the DHLS peeps to avoid me, although a couple boats sailed way south just to to do that.

Made it back in safely, saw some Artemis foiling AC 45, then before you know it it was Beer:30, or beer or Beer:46 to be
                              more exact. The important thing is the GPS does not recognized the daylight savings time switch. The beverage holders
                              are in for all those concerned...had to sacrafice some nice cups, but I'm sure the baseball gods are smiling down...

PS, SuperDave and his friend Keay on Dayspring won their division DH >141...But Dave is a dodger fan and should be disqualified.

Nice report Happa and pics Slacky!

Comment

Working...
                              X