No announcement yet.

Looking Good For Crewed Lightship!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it IS the principal of the thing. Hey, if you want to wage a political fight on behalf of a MORA fleet that faded away years ago, have at it. While you're doing that, there are 50+ boats happily racing under a much shorter MEL than OYRA had before.

Stick some stanchion sockets in your deck and when you want to race with OYRA, pop in the stanchions. If that means you can't lean out as far, maybe that takes a few seconds out of that huge rating advantage you enjoy. I'd think you'd relish the challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Light Beer View Post
      Not sure if there is a grand father clause available, but that could open another can of worms.
      It was offered by the OA and rejected by the competitor.

After it was rejected it came off the table.

Comment

Results are up

https://www.jibeset.net/racedoc/YRA_...l?t=1366649102

Comment

Not as bad as I expected. Next time I'll have the bottom cleaned and use a spinnaker.

They must have tracked down the DP26 for their inspection - they were hailed at least a dozen times with no response I ever heard.

Comment

Rich P just pointed out that except for the first one, the start times are wrong. It looks like they assumed rolling starts, but they weren't.

Comment

This just in...

"We couldn't get the new after guy back, the winch was slipping and
              the guy grinding didn't realize it. No, we don't want a print, thank you
              very much."
              " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by bowline View Post
                Anyone know the outcome of the random safety inspection ?
                I checked in with the inspector on that very subject earlier today. Six boats were called in for inspections.

Two passed just fine, one failed because one crew was not in a legal PFD, one failed because their jackline although aboard was not rigged. Both were given warnings as was agreed to by OYRA prior to the race.

Two boats failed to respond to the hail and were not inspected. We are going to issue warnings here as well. If they show up for future races they can count on being called again.

We think warnings for the first race is consistent with our desire to help boats comply rather than trying to catch someone doing something wrong.

Everyone should be aware that the grace period has expired. I talked to the PRO of the next race and it is her plan to protest any boat that fails an inspection or does not respond to the request to come in and get one.

The equipment list is not hard, contact me with any questions. Check your boats carefully against the list.

If you are less than 100% sure that everything is perfect simply request a pre-race inspection here: http://www.norcalorc.org/inspectors

You don't fail a pre-race inspection, just get a list of things that are missing. If you pass a pre-race inspection you are put on a list and are less likely to get called after a race, but you can still get called. We want to make sure everybody maintains the safety gear aboard and nothing accidentally falls off the boat during the season.

I got a pre-race inspection thinking everything was good and the inspector found a deficiency. My hatch boards were attached to the boat but the lanyard was not long enough to get the boards in place in the hatchway. A longer piece of string, a photo of the correction sent by email and I am all set.

It would really be a bitch to do well in a race and then get tossed over something that can easily be dealt with.

Comment

Does the radar reflector have to be mounted, ready to hoist, unassembled in its plastic bag or sitting on the shelf at WM with great intentions?

Mine was ready to hoist had there been any fog. By the way, I passed and Charles was very efficient about the whole thing. I think I was off the dock in five minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Newell View Post
                    I checked in with the inspector on that very subject earlier today. Six boats were called in for inspections.

Two passed just fine, one failed because one crew was not in a legal PFD, one failed because their jackline although aboard was not rigged. Both were given warnings as was agreed to by OYRA prior to the race.

Two boats failed to respond to the hail and were not inspected. We are going to issue warnings here as well. If they show up for future races they can count on being called again.

We think warnings for the first race is consistent with our desire to help boats comply rather than trying to catch someone doing something wrong.

Everyone should be aware that the grace period has expired. I talked to the PRO of the next race and it is her plan to protest any boat that fails an inspection or does not respond to the request to come in and get one.

The equipment list is not hard, contact me with any questions. Check your boats carefully against the list.

If you are less than 100% sure that everything is perfect simply request a pre-race inspection here: http://www.norcalorc.org/inspectors

You don't fail a pre-race inspection, just get a list of things that are missing. If you pass a pre-race inspection you are put on a list and are less likely to get called after a race, but you can still get called. We want to make sure everybody maintains the safety gear aboard and nothing accidentally falls off the boat during the season.

I got a pre-race inspection thinking everything was good and the inspector found a deficiency. My hatch boards were attached to the boat but the lanyard was not long enough to get the boards in place in the hatchway. A longer piece of string, a photo of the correction sent by email and I am all set.

It would really be a bitch to do well in a race and then get tossed over something that can easily be dealt with.
                    Thanks for the follow-up information.

The only obligation in the SI's is to monitor 16, not 69. Do they hail on both frequencies for an inspection ?

Comment

Less concerned about the political issues than I am about what to expect from you on the race course.
                      If it hasn't already, the day will soon come when you engage with another race boat regardless of your start time and location. Let's say, in this engagement, you're both on port, but you have right of way - you are beating, and the other boat is running with kite up (this scenario could have easily existed on Saturday, correct?). Will you alter course and let the boat that's signed up play through?
                      What shall we skippers expect?

Comment

Let's just start with Superkilt, because it's easy. When west of the COLREGS demarcation line, which is between Mile Rock and Pt. Bonita, the COLREGS apply. Read them.

As to Andy's post #93. Let me take a deep breath. 'Cuz I'm fittin' to call bosh.

At no time, whatsoever, in our conversations, dating back to August, 2012, did you, or any proxy, representing the OYRA, offer my vessel, or myself, any Grandfather Clause. I have all of our econversations in a file, the same file I submitted to the Area G Appeals Board, and I would be happy to post them, should that be interesting to any persons monitoring this thread. The closest thing I had to a Grandfather proffer was a conversation I had with Paul Kamen, at the BYC, after the BYC Chump de Chumps Race. He asked me what was going on, I said that I couldn't say, as I didn't want to have him recuse himself, as he was on the Appeals Committee. He said that he could talk, as the issue hadn't yet hit his desk. His response to my saga was,"They should grandfather you in, like, anyone who had raced 2 years in the series was OK".

You, along with Phil Mummah, and Jim Quanci, approached me after the January 7th NCORC meeting, and stated that y'all, representing a quorum of the OYRA Board of Directors, wanted to cut a deal. I, having prior to this meeting, in writing, had proposed three scenarios: 1. The OYRA would reject the NCORC MELs, and default to the ISAF MELs, as modified by the OYRA in 2012, and not expiring until December, 2013. If not, then: 2. All vessels under 30' LOA could take the lifeline and pulpit exemptions available in the 2012 season, provided that the PICs on those vessels agree to ensure that all crew on deck be tethered at all time while Racing, using ISAF compliant tethers and hard points/jacklines. If not, then the Proposal #2 would be limited to Lapworth Cal 20s, otherwise in compliance with the current MELs.

But the OYRA Board, in all its majesty, was proposing a waiver scheme. I was all ears. Quanci started out with a "Richard Only" waiver, which I rejected as eminently protestable. Andy seemed to get that, and Phil seemed to agree. Quanci then proposed that the RC, on any day, be authorized to pull any waiver, based on a subjective assessment of conditions offshore. Phil and I were having none of that, as it exposed the given RC to RRS 76.1 Protests. Andy squishily left me with the understanding that the OYRA Board would grant me some kind of waiver, which I came to understand was their best offer.

No such offer ever came. Only a request to list modifications done to my vessel which might separate it from any other well-founded Cal 20. Not having much to offer, I demurred. As January came to a close, I was informed by Andy that my argument against a "Richard Only" waiver had won the day, and the OYRA would not be offering any waivers to the NCORC MELs. I have this in writing, kids.

Once again, I don't have a problem with the concept of an OA, or any special body convened to offer recommendations to address a tragedy at sea, largely promulgated by an OA's decision to go with a race. Shit happens, and I lost a friend. I have a problem when facile decision making takes whole classes of vessels out of contention, by imposing rule changes that don't address the proximal cause of the tragedy, and then seeing those folks smugly pat themselves on the back and say they have improved the situation.

Regards to all, especially all who chose to compete last Saturday. It was a fine day.

Richard vonEhrenkrook
                        Cal 20 #624, "Can o'Whoopass", SFYC
                        richard@woodwonk.com
                        VHF WDE 7084
                        Last edited by Idiotwind; 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM. Reason: smal correction

Comment

It's great to see grown men engaging in productive reconciliation and ironing out their differences in opinion.

And the best part is yet to come.

The make-up sex!

Comment

"No such offer ever came. Only a request to list modifications done to my vessel which might separate it from any other well-founded Cal 20. Not having much to offer, I demurred."

So you didn't follow through, after what you admit were several concerted attempts to reach out to you? No wonder they took their offer(s) off the table. I'm glad I wasn't in any of the meetings - I can read your self-condemnation with objectivity.

Comment

Andy's way too porcine for me, but I appreciate the sentiments.

Comment

Bobby, there was no such offer. I did follow through with questions as to what the OYRA was actually offering. Go to sleep, dude, or rock a 69 on us, or, whatever...
                                Last edited by Idiotwind; 04-22-2013, 10:13 PM. Reason: puncuation

Comment

Working...
                                X