No announcement yet.

Looking Good For Crewed Lightship!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We offered a waiver for CO'W only and you refused. You were going for either:

A: all boats under 30' are exempt from the lifeline requirement
    B: all Cal 20's are exempt from the lifeline requirement

and you said that a CO'W only option was not what you wanted. I asked several times in different ways to make sure.

After we told you that A and B were not going to happen you asked if you could have the CO'W waiver back if we would agree to defend you in the event of a competitor protest, but we had come to our senses and listened to your wisdom that individual waivers were potentially unfair, so we pulled it off the table. You helped us realize that the can of worms (no slight on your cool boat name intended) and the slippery slope could both be avoided.

It's all water under the GG bridge by now. Enjoy the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Superkilt View Post
      Less concerned about the political issues than I am about what to expect from you on the race course.
      If it hasn't already, the day will soon come when you engage with another race boat regardless of your start time and location. Let's say, in this engagement, you're both on port, but you have right of way - you are beating, and the other boat is running with kite up (this scenario could have easily existed on Saturday, correct?). Will you alter course and let the boat that's signed up play through?
      What shall we skippers expect?
      I speak purely hypothetically of course, but a seasoned racer that respects the racing rules should follow most of them even if he has a protest against one specific rule.

the RRS says

24 INTERFERING WITH ANOTHER BOAT
      24.1 If reasonably possible, a boat not racing shall not interfere with a boat that is racing.

I don't have any insight on what an independent mariner on the race course might do.

Comment

Originally posted by bowline View Post
        Thanks for the follow-up information.

The only obligation in the SI's is to monitor 16, not 69. Do they hail on both frequencies for an inspection ?
        That is my assumption, but I will make sure it is in their instructions. BobJ referred to a boat being hailed a 'dozen times'.

Comment

I was monitoring the race channel during my finish. The hails were so numerous and frequent (to two boats in particular) that the CG would have taken a dim view had they been on Ch. 16. I think this needs some tweaking. Require skippers to monitor the race channel during their finish, hail them for inspection on that channel (not 16) and limit it to three hails over a given time span. If they're not listening it doesn't matter how many times you hail.

Comment

BTW, how was the C/D division split determined that put 7 boats in C with a rating range of 21 and 18 boats in D with a rating range of 126 ?

Makes no sense - look at the GGYC mids for an example of better division splits and boats that normally race against each other boat on boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Newell View Post
              I must be brain dead this morning - what are all the "SRE"s?

Comment

Single Race Entry

Comment

got it, thanks

Comment

I thought it was an acronym for Sandwiches Ready to Eat.

It would make life much easier on race day.

Comment

Originally posted by Idiotwind View Post
                      Andy's way too porcine for me, but I appreciate the sentiments.
                      Do you know what that word means? My mom always said you catch more flies with honey.

I noticed on the DH Farallones race that many boats did not have their radar reflectors deployed, assuming they carried them. The language of the SIs there and in NCORC is ambiguous about whether it has to be up, or just aboard. In the PacCup requirements, it is clear that it has to be deployed at all times.

Bob, I hope you have some spare protest flags to pass out tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by BobJ View Post
                        ... The hails were so numerous and frequent (to two boats in particular) that the CG would have taken a dim view had they been on Ch. 16. I think this needs some tweaking. Require skippers to monitor the race channel during their finish, hail them for inspection on that channel (not 16) and limit it to three hails over a given time span. If they're not listening it doesn't matter how many times you hail.
                        How about a unique sound signal notifying boats that they have been selected for inspection. Last year for the Singlehanded Farallones it was three short blasts on the horn, after the finishing horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Thing-Fish View Post
                          I think they'll be a hot item - the fleet passes the Long Wharf twice in this race. The course is west of Red Rock both ways but I'm sure a few boats will try to go in there.

At times I wonder why Idiot sets me off like few others can, then he writes something like that and I'm reminded. I'll try to reign it in henceforth.

Hanno-the-Navigator, I think that's already in the OYRA SI's.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanno View Post
                            How about a unique sound signal notifying boats that they have been selected for inspection. Last year for the Singlehanded Farallones it was three short blasts on the horn, after the finishing horn.
                            I like that and was thinking of something similar. How about three blasts and then a conversation on the radio to make sure everyone is clear?

Comment

Originally posted by Thing-Fish View Post
                              Do you know what that word means? My mom always said you catch more flies with honey.

I noticed on the DH Farallones race that many boats did not have their radar reflectors deployed, assuming they carried them. The language of the SIs there and in NCORC is ambiguous about whether it has to be up, or just aboard. In the PacCup requirements, it is clear that it has to be deployed at all times.

NCORC says it has to be aboard. It is up to you when you use it.

Comment

Oy. Not sure why you think I need to read the COLREGS. I wont go into my background here, but responses like that make me feel that I've pissed more salt water than you've seen, but that's neither here nor there.

For clarity, then, lets call it inside the Bay. Will you avoid the engagement or call for your rights?
                                You are either racing or not, and we are out there sailing for silver (childish, but there it is).
                                Ever lose a race by a second? Or five? Surely you have.

Personally, I would not do what you are doing, but c'est la vie. I would not sail through a fleet of J24s on starboard while they are on port and claim rights. Not the Corinthian thing to do IMHO, and I personally consider it disrespectful. Not the same thing because you are offshore? I think it is.

I am not getting in the way of what you are doing, but I don't agree with it because what you consider giving the flick to race management is potentially detrimental to the regatta - the regatta being "us". Claim rights all you want, I just don't agree. Claim that while in the ocean, the likelihood of this encounter is slim, I still don't agree.

So, I restate: Will you engage with rights or avoid the encounter by tacking away?

Comment

Working...
                                X