• Show
Clear All

• Idiotwind
    replied
    1+!

Leave a comment:

• BobJ
    replied
    Your offer didn't fly. I was trying to see what the big problem is and there isn't one. At most you'd need a waiver to lower them amidships so the boom will clear.

Lifelines won't ruin your boat especially since you can take them off for all other racing, just like many other smaller boats do. You just don't want to install them. We get that, and it's your loss.

I guess I shouldn't have bothered even looking.

Leave a comment:

• Idiotwind
    replied
    Originally posted by BobJ View Post
    Wouldn't that be like watching a couple of snails screwing - or whatever it is snails do?

So I stared at one for awhile today at RYC (a Cal 20, not a snail screwing). It looks like you couldn't go 18" tall (stanchions) between the mast and cockpit or the boom would hit them, but no problem between the mast and pulpit and from the front of the cockpit aft. Like Starbuck and some other boats, you'd probably have to duck under them to hike (BFD) but it would be easy peasy to get washed to leeward on that boat and you'd have a chance to grab something on your way by. The foredeck would be a lot more secure (we all have headsails that hunch over the lifelines so another BFD on that one). Of course Richard never leaves the tiller so he's not worried about the foredeck.

Oh yeah, I wasn't going to post in this thread anymore.

MY BAD!
    Bob, my offer to go with a clip-in requirement makes your analysis moot. If you ruin half the boat, it's not much different than ruining all the boat. Especially if the boat's only 20' long. Back to your drawing board.

Leave a comment:

• Idiotwind
    replied
    Actually, the Duxship is the better race. But, if it is to be the Drake's Bay 1, if conditions warrant, I'll try to get some other Cal 20s to roll. We could have a raft-up, but as to snails, I prefer abalone.

Leave a comment:

• Thing-Fish
    replied
    Originally posted by BobJ View Post
    Wouldn't that be like watching a couple of snails screwing - or whatever it is snails do?
    MY BAD!
    FWIW, most snails are hermaphroditic. Go for it, lads!

Leave a comment:

• bobw
    replied
    +1

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any stupider, I am proved wrong again. When will I learn?

Let me make some more popcorn.

b

Leave a comment:

• BobJ
    replied

So I stared at one for awhile today at RYC (a Cal 20, not a snail screwing). It looks like you couldn't go 18" tall (stanchions) between the mast and cockpit or the boom would hit them, but no problem between the mast and pulpit and from the front of the cockpit aft. Like Starbuck and some other boats, you'd probably have to duck under them to hike (BFD) but it would be easy peasy to get washed to leeward on that boat and you'd have a chance to grab something on your way by. The foredeck would be a lot more secure (we all have headsails that hunch over the lifelines so another BFD on that one). Of course Richard never leaves the tiller so he's not worried about the foredeck.

Oh yeah, I wasn't going to post in this thread anymore.

MY BAD!

Leave a comment:

• war dog
    replied
    Anyone have a Cal 20 we can borrow?

It's been 25 or so years since I set foot on one but what the hell it could be fun. I'm thinking the Drakes bay race would be perfect for this challenge. I need to check the schedule to see if we could fit it in and if I can get the old band back together.

But first we need a boat!!!

Leave a comment:

• Idiotwind
    replied
    Arrange it. I'm down. War Dog get's to call the course. Offshore would be cool!

Leave a comment:

• 3D
    replied
    Originally posted by deathspear View Post
    screw the america's cup. Peckerhead's culo vs. Cow-ass. Now that is a match i would see. Who needs foiling cats.
    +1

-3d

Leave a comment:

• DeathSpear
    replied
    Originally posted by Idiotwind View Post
    It would be interesting to have a wayback machine, and a Fantasy sail off between Culo and the Can. Culo, with the inboard seating and the genoa, and the Can, with butts on the rail and all the other improvements in technique since the early 1980s!
    Screw the America's Cup. Peckerhead's Culo vs. Cow-ass. Now that is a match I would see. Who needs foiling cats.

Leave a comment:

• Idiotwind
    replied
    [QUOTE=war dog;29911]Richard you are making an ass out of yourself with these rants and more so by throwing your long time crew under the bus....It's a known fact that any hacks can win races on a cal 20 by just finishing them......do you disagree? Look up Culo Bangato my brother and I won the Mora 2 season 3 years in a row and a few Costal Cups just for fun and I know that I'm a hack not a sailing god like you....give it a fucking rest please!!!)

Tom, I'm ready to move on, but I just can't believe you would stoop to that weak logic. By that, anyone rocking Gordie's "Arcadia", or Glenn Isaccson's "Q" would just have to finish to have the keys to the pickle dish pile. It's a bit more complicated than that.

It would be interesting to have a wayback machine, and a Fantasy sail off between Culo and the Can. Culo, with the inboard seating and the genoa, and the Can, with butts on the rail and all the other improvements in technique since the early 1980s!

Leave a comment:

• bowline
    replied
    It appears you've expressed your objections here quite clearly. Not sure that will change anything though.

Leave a comment:

• Idiotwind
    replied
    The NCORC MELs, should one choose to consider them as "Safety Requirements", would be grossly overestimated. They, by their own definition, are 'Recommendations". I, among many others, including some who think Cal 20s, Merit 25s, Moore 24s, Express 27s, and others should not be allowed offshore under ANY rule, still have serious objections with the provenance of the current NCORC Recommendations. But, it's the Kool Aid of choice right now. Can't argue with that. I can only work for change.

Leave a comment:

• bowline
    replied
    I have no dog in this fight, but it seems like the forum is being trashed on one person's opinion of how seaworthy his boat is.

Tell it to your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend, kids, grand kids, neighbors, and the folks looking for work in front of Home Depot.

Safety requirements are written to serve the best interests of the whole fleet, not one specific boat. Deal with it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X