Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Flash
    replied
    I've got my personal gear, and did a dress rehearsal tonight. Holy crap I felt like the Michelen man.

Leave a comment:

• Idiotwind
    replied
    Yes, and when you have that unfortunate situation happen, it's damn crucial to have at least two VHF radios tuned to 16, the RC frequency, and, when offshore, Channel 12. Not a lot of that last year. USCG launched a Dolphin, and a 65' boat out of Alameda. That couldn't have been inexpensive. The first idea that someone had butt-started their EPIRB was the 2-million candle-power spot from the Dolphin.

Hopefully, SFYC will let us race next year. Good luck, guys and gals.

Leave a comment:

• BobJ
    replied
    Re butt-dialing an EPIRB - not all skippers realize a Cat. 2 EPIRB will go off if it gets wet, unless it's fully seated in its cradle. Two boats I recently inspected had Cat 2's laying out loose in the cabin. One skipper didn't know what had become of the cradle. It's not hard for an EPIRB to get splashed, especially on a smaller boat, and that's all it takes to set it off.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Newell
    replied
    Sounds like the rescue is another really good example of why we should all have a good radio installation (not a handheld sitting sideways in a sheet bag with the volume down like the E37 that butt dialed their EPIRB on Spin Cup last year, oblivious until the helo spotlight hit them) and why we should actively monitor VHF 16.

It's not about getting you a ride home from the CG when things go sideways, it's about being part of the community.

We all have a chance of being the rescue-e and a responsibility to be the rescuer.

Good luck to those going on Spin Cup, conditions look remarkably like last year. Ahi will be sitting it out this year.

Leave a comment:

• BobJ
    replied
    We just set up a last-minute inspection of a boat coming up for the race, at the owner's request. You can whine, or get involved and be part of the solution.

Leave a comment:

• aA
    replied
    Originally posted by PSutchek View Post
    I wonder how many of these 34 boats are legal ...no really

if you're competing and you doubt the legality there is always a protest available to you

Leave a comment:

• cartman
    replied
    Do bridge jumpers ever look before they leap?

Leave a comment:

• PSutchek
    replied
    I wonder how many of these 34 boats are legal ...no really

Leave a comment:

• PD Staff
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick Salvador View Post
    Sounds like Animal had an eventful arrival. Scott W. and crew rescued a GGbridge leaper who had survived the fall with two broken legs.

Full Report

Leave a comment:

• bowline
    replied
    Originally posted by Photoboy View Post

Big winds out there today alright...
    And tonight - still really nuking out there.

Leave a comment:

• Built to List
    replied
    Deets?

Leave a comment:

• Nick Salvador
    replied
    Sounds like Animal had an eventful arrival. Scott W. and crew rescued a GGbridge leaper who had survived the fall with two broken legs.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie Tuna
    replied

yup!

Leave a comment:

• aA
    replied
    go the trash!

Leave a comment:

• Photoboy
    replied

Big winds out there today alright...