Clear All

• Rainier
    replied
    Inflatable PFDs suck.

Nice work skippy!

Leave a comment:

• Photoboy
    replied

Another SC boat.. Hana Ho, doing what SC boats do...SURF!!!

Leave a comment:

• Photoboy
    replied

Spin Cup Selects

Leave a comment:

• The Flash
    replied
    Some heavy weather sailing on the "Duck"

Last edited by Photoboy; 05-29-2013, 12:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Flash
    replied
    David, was that you guys with the white kite, head to wind for about 20 minutes? We saw the action, from a few miles off but once we got in closer you seemed to have it under control and there were no radio hails. Let's all watch out for each other out there….

Leave a comment:

• familysailor
    replied
    I almost hate to ask, but was everybody tethered during the various antics?

Leave a comment:

• Photoboy
    replied
    AYSF Members on California Condor For Spinnaker Cup

Fours members of The Force, Tommy, Cooper, Solomon and myself (David), along with owner Buzz Blackett and designer Jim Antrim, sailed on California Condor, a Class 40, in the Spinnaker Cup, a race from San Francisco to Monterey over the Memorial Day Weekend. We had 12 to 15 knots most of the day with a moderate 10 to 12 foot swell. Boat speed was in the low teens and all was going well until around 6 pm.

all photos © AYSF

We were about 8 miles off Santa Cruz when the wind picked to the mid twenties, and it was time to change to a smaller kite. While I was on the foredeck with the smaller kite bag hooked to the lifeline, the boat broached and a large wave ripped the clips off the bag and swept the bagged kite with me hanging on to it halfway down the length of the boat on the leeward side. We recovered from the broach, but the wind continued to build.

We knew we had to get the big kite down ASAP and decided to go bareheaded for the drop. A fouled lazy sheet made for an awkward and difficult drop that became more complicated when the boat broached again. I plunged from the cabin top into the water on the leeward side with my knee bent around the stanchion by the tremendous water pressure. Cooper also landed in the water to leeward and his inflatable vest deployed, greatly limiting his mobility.

Solomon (fortunately an EMT) realized that my knee was injured, and pulled me into the cockpit. He gave my knee a quick exam while we were still broached, the kite was flogging and the wind was escalating. Buzz later said that he saw the wind speed peak at 40. I decided my knee was good enough for the moment. We had to get the kite down by any means necessary.

Tommy ran to the bow to trip the martinbreaker, and then Tommy, Solomon, Cooper with his vest still inflated, and I, lying on my back in the cockpit, wrestled with the sheet until we could get the clew and gather the kite. I traded my uninflated vest for Cooper’s inflated one so that he could go forward to drop the staysail, then crawled below to tend to my knee. Cooper, Solomon and Tommy set the #4 jib and reefed the main, and we limped over the finish line at Monterey.

The next day I got my knee x-rayed (no fracture) at an urgent care facility and was asked how the injury occurred. As I struggled to explain, the doctor jokingly said

” You’re not in the America’s Cup are you?” I replied “well actually…” When I pulled up an action shot of The Force on the Ac45 on my phone, he was so excited that the he hurried out of the room to show his nurse, who returned with him asking for a photo of himself with me.

We were very glad to have the opportunity to sail on California Condor. Even though the race did not go as any of us had hoped, it was a valuable experience in teamwork. We had to trust one another in very difficult circumstances and work together without a lot of discussion. This race has helped prepare us for the demands and challenges that we will experience racing the AC45. Thank you, Buzz.

David Liebenberg

http://americanyouthsailingforce.com/?p=1522

Leave a comment:

• Nick Salvador
    replied
    Originally posted by bowline View Post
    Correct, actually a WOB, everybody ok.
    Rumor has it that it involved a bucket, a too tenacious grip, no tether, and a long enough swim that the victim was unable to participate in her own rescue?

Leave a comment:

• Photoboy
    replied

Meanie Video!

Leave a comment:

• Photoboy
    replied
    Invisible Hand: 1st Hand Report

"We went outside based on explicit guidance by Commanders' Weather but that resulted in us sailing much more distance, in much less breeze than the boats that went inside, not a winning recipe. 20/20 hindsight, it was a 'classic' race! Turning the corner we had the jib top up, but sailed most of the course with A4. Boat performed well with boat speeds consistently matching wind speed into the mid 20s, often not dropping below 20 kts. for extended periods of time, and we didn't break anything major. First time we sailed the boat in these conditions, it was a great shake down. While the Hand broke the old course record set by Akela, we will have to wait till next year to take a crack at the new one set by Meanie! Great to have these fine new boats in Northern California!"

Frank Slootman

Leave a comment:

• Runs_with_sissors
    replied
    Great report!

Leave a comment:

• Photoboy
    replied
    Criminal Fun

Another well written and succinct report by Ronnie Simpson, sailing aboard Chip Mcgeath's
    giant slayer, the R/P 45, "Criminal Mischief"...

Click HERE!

Last edited by Photoboy; 05-27-2013, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bowline
    replied
    Originally posted by PSutchek View Post
    Did i hear correctly, that quiver had a MOB ?
    Correct, actually a WOB, everybody ok.

Leave a comment:

• Photoboy
    replied

Finish board pics courtesy Liz Chandler... What was your track on CM James?

Leave a comment:

• Furthur
    replied
    Damn, looks like they blew the backstay crane out of the rig! I wonder if they stuffed the bow hard into a wave with too much backstay on and something had to give? The wave period was pretty short making for some steep ones off Davenport and plenty of VOR 70-esque water over the deck. I could have used a snorkel while working on the bow of the CRiMiNaL MiSCHieF...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X