No announcement yet.

Handicapping sport boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the multi boards, the ugly boat thread and the Catamaran in Loch Lomond are mine...

Comment

Originally posted by BobJ View Post
      I read an article recently about this (Max Ebb?) and #13 has it right - the "Wabbit Wule" is a misnomer.

We need some sporty owners to chip in here - if you know any, send 'em a link to this thread.

If I was doing this today I'd take what Trevor wrote - have a stability test of some sort (to reassure the host clubs?), no trapping, go with SMS for now, encourage sporty owners to contact other sporty owners and see if you could get 6-8 boats to request a division in the last HDA race of the season - something like that to get it going. You probably need to have some minimum equipment rules like the CG required stuff you're supposed to have anyway, plus a handheld VHF. Anything else?

Strange we haven't heard from Schoonerman - I thought he'd be all over this. Maybe he doesn't do PD.
      We had/have a similar situation with multihulls- some of the big beach cats do some PHRF races and get a rating because they exceed BAMA minimum length. Some of the smaller boats want/ed to play too. WETA, F18, A CAT are the more likely suspects. Certain clubs allowed them with the condition that they belong to a club (YRA/PICYA), have a rating, have VHF radio and follow the RC, and have a crash boat. WETA's could do one design as could the other classes if enough boats and not score together which solved the minimum length for BAMA rating problem. The challenge is organizing them and existing competing small boat venues calendar conflicts. Other time sucks have this on the back burner. Some of the A cat guys wanted to do it but their day jobs fixing carbon boats got in the way.

I think a similar approach could work for the sporties- form and association and get legit as a YRA fleet- and create a similar (not the same) ratings process. But the sporties have to want to do it. There are supporters at YRA to facilitate/support but not "do".

Comment

This just from Don Ahrens of YRA, so where the F*&%^& are the other sporties owners...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

YRA Special e-bulletin, June 20, 2013
        Fall Sport Boat Regatta
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Sport Boat Skippers,
        I'm reaching out to you in an attempt to organize a sport boat regatta this fall.
        We're hoping we can bring together a set of sport boats, organize them into a set
        of divisions, or one design classes for fleets that have at least 5 boats , and
        run races using the Portsmith rule.
        We're thinking the regatta could be held after the AC cup, and after the Melges
        24 Worlds, perhaps in mid to late October. If we can get 10 - 15 boats committed
        then I think we can set dates and start getting the needed resources to run the
        race. We already have 4 boats committed. Let me know if you're interested.
        Thanks,
        Don Ahrens
        YRA HDA/ODCA President

http://jetstreamracing.blogspot.com/
        http://www.facebook.com/JS9045

Comment

What if???

....someone created an event, just made up a new one, at least 3 months out so that people had plenty of notice, specifically for, and only for sportboats. Make3 people pay some nominal fee to register. If it's free, people don't take it seriously, but keep it cheap, like $15 or something. You broadcast loud and clear that it would be scored by SMS. Then you held the event, had a party and a "SMS workshop" afterwards, and tried to get folks on board.

You'd probably have to get a YC on board with it to sponsor it, and of course someone to do RC.

If ya'll wait until mid-October for this illustrious inaugural event, maybe I can do RC or sumthin'. I bet we can schmooze some of our buddies into supplying a big leadmine for the RC boat.

Actually, how about the 2014 NOOD ? They have sportboat divisions, right? Who runs that? Would they take a handicap division and score it with SMS?

Comment

Wow. That came in while I was writing my own post. Great minds think alike. LOL Hey guys, does a Moore 24 qualify as a sportboat? I could schmooze George McKay to come out with Cookie Jar, and we could serve as fodder for the rest of you dudes, but I think you probably want something different.

Comment

Alan, to answer your question: No. A Moore 24 would not qualify under the definition of a sportboat unless it and SIMILAR symmetrically equipped boats were to have their own start.

If you go back and read Steve Reinhardt's definition of a sportboat, it was thusly described: planing boat, three sails, asymmetrical kites on a sprit. These boats deserve to race against similar boats, so no, we don't want to race them against the Santa Cruz lightweights. Frankly, that's the entire point of this exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Salvador View Post
                Alan, to answer your question: No. A Moore 24 would not qualify under the definition of a sportboat unless it and SIMILAR symmetrically equipped boats were to have their own start.

If you go back and read Steve Reinhardt's definition of a sportboat, it was thusly described: planing boat, three sails, asymmetrical kites on a sprit. These boats deserve to race against similar boats, so no, we don't want to race them against the Santa Cruz lightweights. Frankly, that's the entire point of this exercise.
                Exactamundo.

Alan, the problem with 'true' sportboats vs. ULDBs is that the ULDBs carry multiple headsails, smaller mains, and symmetrical kites. To race fairly would never happen, not even if the ULDBs were forced to sail with their #1s in 20 knots (we have to carry a large main and a ~115% jib in 20's, why should they be allowed to shift down to a #4 with a small main?).

Add to that the challenge of crossing jibes at radically different angles and speeds, well, it's a bit exciting. Though I'm certain I'm the only sporty with limited visibility under that big kite, so maybe others are fine with it. ;-)

Don Ahrens is a great guy, and the note he sent yesterday I'll socialize within my fleet to see if there is interest. Could be fun!

Happy Friday, guys!

Comment

Originally posted by #13 View Post
                  Exactamundo.

Alan, the problem with 'true' sportboats vs. ULDBs is that the ULDBs carry multiple headsails, smaller mains, and symmetrical kites. To race fairly would never happen, not even if the ULDBs were forced to sail with their #1s in 20 knots (we have to carry a large main and a ~115% jib in 20's, why should they be allowed to shift down to a #4 with a small main?).

Add to that the challenge of crossing jibes at radically different angles and speeds, well, it's a bit exciting. Though I'm certain I'm the only sporty with limited visibility under that big kite, so maybe others are fine with it. ;-)

Don Ahrens is a great guy, and the note he sent yesterday I'll socialize within my fleet to see if there is interest. Could be fun!

Happy Friday, guys!
                  Maybe you could have a sportboat legacy one design class/es for the "leadmines" like a Moore 24 ? (and Wabbit)? Not scored with the sporties.

(Kudos to Nick for kickstarting this at YRA and Don for revitalizing it recently)

Comment

I kind of figured that was the case. Whatever, if this happens in mid/late-October ( I have a Highland Games the second weekend on October - last one of the season) the offer of helping with RC stands. I have a bunch of friends in on this discussion and I'm happy to help out my mates.

Comment

Bob, it isn't simply a scoring issue, we don't want them sharing starting lines. IOW completely different starts. The Santa Cruz boats are actually very well served within their OD class organizations, we're aiming for an unserved and heretofore unratable segment of the population.

Comment

I wouldn't want to be out racing in my Moore against a bunch of asym boats. but if George really wants to race his moore tell him to put a Melges rig on it, attach a sprit and then call it a sport boat.
                        A little disorganization goes a long way toward fun sailing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Salvador View Post
                          Bob, it isn't simply a scoring issue, we don't want them sharing starting lines. IOW completely different starts. The Santa Cruz boats are actually very well served within their OD class organizations, we're aiming for an unserved and heretofore unratable segment of the population.
                          I understand Nick. Give the maxi sportboats their own start/s and courses. Not unlike interclub does with the big multihulls vs monohulls starts now. If we get to the point where the small multihulls get engaged- they would get their own start (as long as they had a rating sanctioned by bama and/or OD, belonged to a club -BAMA, had VHF radio forRC comms, and a crashboat). The benefit of including the leadmine/maxi sportboats is more particpants- if interested

Comment

Working...
                          X