A Great Evening Turned Sour For AYSF Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Great Evening Turned Sour For AYSF Team

Arriving about 5:45 PM to the Golden Gate Yacht Club for a American Youth Sailing Force,
    for a social Fundraiser / Mixer, things looked not quite right. Several news helos were stationary overhead, and two USCG coasties Helos circled about at a low altitude. On the opposite side of the harbor, a large crowd of spectators had gathered, mixed in between emergency vehicles from SFPD, SFFD, Park Service and CHP.

The crew of "The Force" were outside the club looking very solemn, as if they had just been to a funeral.

It turns out something worse... Far worse...

As they were prepping for the evenings festivities, inexplicably, a vehicle on the other side of the channel had jumped two curbs and the narrow lawn and bike path and had plunged in to the bay....

The boys witnessed the event and hopped in the team Protector and raced to the scene, climbing aboard the vehicle and attempting to rescue the sole passenger by smashing the windows...to no avail... the car slipped beneath the surface and into the murky waters below, just inside the break water. Additional attempts to free dive and free the passenger failed...ABC 7 reports:

"Police say people from a civilian boat were trying to help the occupants of the van or SUV that was partly submerged. They were soon joined by divers from the police and fire departments.

"We were there before the police, before fire," said Vince Casalaina with Red Bull Racing. "We were at the Golden Gate Yacht Club, getting ready for a party tonight, and we heard some yelling from over on the sea wall at the Marina Green. We didn't know what was going on at first, but then we saw the van as it started to float out, away from shore. At which point, my team got in our boat and went out to see what we could do. Three of the guys jumped in the water and tried to break the windows but couldn't get the glass to break enough to get anyone out. So they were actually on the van as it sank."

Casalaina said it took about four to five minutes from the time the van went into the water, to the time it went under."

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...sco&id=9147991

We stopped by late this evening, and the females body was still in the van, the divers were unable to retrieve before tiring in the frigid waters. There has been a float with light attached to the van, and authorities will continue recovery in the morning.

The crew is devastated to say the least...
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

WOW, that sucks. Sucks to try and fail but they did the right thing and tried.
    A little disorganization goes a long way toward fun sailing.

Comment

Brave lads, they should be proud of their actions.

Comment

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...r-from-sf-bay/

They pulled the van out yesterday morning.

Comment

Caught up with the team yesterday at Encinal YC. In better spirits, and part of the Cup presentation, boat building /racing contest and
          giving rides on the SL33... Trying to put on their happy face...Tom Ehman mentioned their heroics during the AC / RBYAC presentation,
          and several team members had to excuse themselves...they are still feeling the remorse of "What If"...

The agonizing part is hearing the woman in the van scream as it slipped beneath the surface.

And while the remained on scene, pointing to the vans location while treading water, one of the SFPD Jet Skis
          ran over one of the team, hitting his head and cutting his hands, then tell them to "Get the fuck out of the way"...

Apparently the SFPD 1st responders chased away another boat that was bringing out a snorkel and mask and a punch to help break
          the safety glass..

Comment

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...sco&id=9148399

Latest from ABC 7

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Nearly 18 hours after a bizarre crash at San Francisco's Marina Green, crews pulled a submerged minivan from the waters of the bay. The driver, who did not survive, was still inside the vehicle.

A close friend says the 60-year-old woman had diabetes, but it's unknown if that was a factor.

The minivan came from the Marina Green parking lot, jumped a curb, and shot into about 25-feet of water before sinking and getting stuck in mud at the bottom of the bay.

Slowly, the Dodge Grand Caravan emerged from bay, about a hundred feet or so off Marina Green. The body of the lone victim was still inside. And there were still no answers about why she drove off the edge of the park into the water.
            "It's horrible, it's very sad," San Francisco resident Cherrie Badolato said. "This is a place of happiness, we're fortunate that the soccer field wasn't loaded."

About 5:15 p.m. Friday, the minivan jumped a curb going about 20 miles an hour and plunged into the bay.

Members of a boating team at the Golden Gate Yacht Club jumped into a motor boat and tried to save the woman as her vehicle quickly sank. One of them recorded dramatic video of the rescue.

"It was going down at the nose, the roof was just submerging when we got to it and before we even slowed down, three of our guys were in the water with tools and they were able to get on the car and started smashing the window, but unfortunately we couldn't get the window to break completely," rescuer Ian Andrew said.

SKY7 HD was overhead as police and fire rescue crews worked for five hours to get the vehicle out of the water. But darkness and the currents made that job too dangerous.

They returned Saturday morning and were able to retrieve the victim and get the minivan out of the water. Contents of the vehicle floated in the bay, including prescription bottles and a disabled placard.

"You can't assume anything until you talk to the next of kin and check the vehicle," SFPD Lt. Toney Chaplin said. "It could have been a mechanical issue, it could have been a medical issue. So we don't want to speculate until we know for sure."

Neighbor Daryl Draper saw the woman and her van Friday.

"She's a nice lady," he said. "You know, I think she's a spiritual lady. I don't know too much about her, but I know she's really friendly and I had no problems with her."

The woman's name has not been officially released by the medical examiner's office, but we've been told some loved ones have been notified about what happened.

Police are asking for any witnesses to come forward that might help explain how this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Photoboy View Post
              Caught up with the team yesterday at Encinal YC. In better spirits, and part of the Cup presentation, boat building /racing contest and
              giving rides on the SL33... Trying to put on their happy face...Tom Ehman mentioned their heroics during the AC / RBYAC presentation,
              and several team members had to excuse themselves...they are still feeling the remorse of "What If"...

The agonizing part is hearing the woman in the van scream as it slipped beneath the surface.

And while the remained on scene, pointing to the vans location while treading water, one of the SFPD Jet Skis
              ran over one of the team, hitting his head and cutting his hands, then tell them to "Get the fuck out of the way"...

Apparently the SFPD 1st responders chased away another boat that was bringing out a snorkel and mask and a punch to help break
              the safety glass..
              Wow, nice touch.

Comment

Working...
              X