Bridge Avoidance 1 A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Avoidance 1 A

Held for the 1st time since 1995, the Sir Francis Chischester Memorial Alameda Island
    Circumnavigation had 12 competitors start in light air off the Jack London Aquatic Center on Saturday. We got lucky and caught the tail end of the race, as the majority of the laser sailor negotiated the Park Street Bridge, the final of four low lying spans
    in the counter clockwise direction route. Popular in the 70's and early 80's with 40 to 50 sailors competing, this year drew an even dozen. 11 of which chose the couter clockwise route, which meant sailing against the tail end of the flood in light breeze
    up the Estuary.

Kurl Wessels played the modern day Chischester and opted to go against the grain, and used the flood to his advantage, navigating 3 of the bridges early, only having to deal with the Bay Farm Island in adverse current. Kurt finished just ahead of the lead dog in the the CC pack, Jim Christopher, shown here with a commanding lead....

A more detailed report on the day can be found HERE!!!

The Sir Francis Chichester Memorial Race is a single-handed circumnavigation of Alameda in Lasers. In 1967 Chichester, on the yawl Gypsy Moth IV, completed the fastest single-handled circumnavigation to that time using the clipper route.

This Race around Alameda was first run in 1972, the year Chichester died. The 23rd and most recent running of the Race was in 1995 and included Lasers, Laser IIs and Bytes. This year as part of Sailstice, the Chichester will be revived for a 24th running. Standard and Radial Rig Lasers are invited to participate.

The course is around Alameda, in either direction. The start is from within a box off the Encinal Yacht Club. One of the challenges of the Chichester is passing underneath four bridges on the east and south sides of Alameda. Sailors have tried lifting their masts out. Others have tried sailing while heeled at extreme angles.

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

THAT is extreme!! but they passed below without "damage" right?

Comment

For the most part...If I had a laser rig and someone asked to borrow it for the event, I would ask for some collateral....
      " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Comment

hahahahaaaa

Comment

I think Morgan Larson set the record for that.

Comment

yup. good to see it run again

Comment

Working...
            X