No announcement yet.

I walked around the Alameda Marina on Saturday night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could lament about this stuff for hours, but I'll just emphatically reaffirm the not-so-minor point that Alameda Marina's docks are floating splinter piles. No chance of enjoying the small pleasure of washing my Tuna barefoot, and every time I furl my main at the slip or, god forbid, drop a sheet or line on the dock, I end up with a million splinters. I've learned to keep tweezers in my ditty bag just in case. Lately I've been walking away from my boat swearing I'll move it out of there soon and find a nicer facility. Maybe others already have. But for a 22' sailboat, there aren't many places to go unless you're willing to pay big bucks for a 30+' slip.

Comment

It's reaching way back in the memory bank, but didn't Alameda Marina build that row specifically to lure the Tuna fleet down the Estuary from another club? The new Island Yacht Club met in the harbormaster's building then - I was one of the first members of their junior program. There are stories...

Comment

^
        I'm told that was the brain child of John Berry who was the local Schock rep at the time.
        Its an old Marina and covers over 3 blocks of real estate. Last I checked over 900 monthly rent invoices were beng sent out.
        Occupancy rate is higher than it looks.

Comment

No doubt John was involved, but I also remember something about a "church split" type of deal with one of the yacht clubs - probably best forgotten.

Before Beery moved to the Alameda Marina he had a sailing school at the Aquatic Park in Berkeley. My folks took the beginner's class the first week in El Toros, then the second week they took the intermediate class in Capri 14's (not the current version; these were Lido 14's with keels) and my sisters and I took the beginner's class. Then we bought a boat. Had we bought a new Tuna we probably would have kept sailing as a family. Instead we bought a mahogany sloop that took lots of maintenance and we didn't get to sail as much. I'm the only member of the family that stayed in the sport.

Several years later John became the dealer for a brand of three-wheeled sailing scooter. He and potential customers would sail the things around the Alameda Marina parking lot. One day John caught a gust and ran the thing under the back of a truck. He got banged up pretty good as I recall.

Comment

Before I get to reminiscing any further, here's a thread where Skip Allan and I did some reminiscing about hanging out on the Estuary. It's kind of fun, especially if you were around in those days:

From over on the SSS forum

Comment

Bribane/Sierra Point

Just to add to the confusion, Sierra point which was not particularly full, has been filling up this summer ? Maybe from closure of Pete's. BTW, a great place if you want to reefing and storm sailing on a daily basis.

Comment

Homeless walking the docks?

Comment

Learned how to sail out Alameda Marina...great memories...except leaving the folded mainsail on the dumpster
                  by the hoist...Rusty Pelican was a nice end of day stop for cocktails, chowder and garlic bread when we had
                  ladies on board. Being how the outboard only worked when it wanted to, we got pretty good at sailing up the
                  fairway...Southerly weather fronts were great heavy weather training in the Estuary...

Does Svendsen's own Alameda Marina now?

I wonder if they replaced the old wooden docks with concrete ones if the could fill the slips? There seems to be a shortage
                  of sub 30' slips and they could possible fill the void...
                  " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Comment

[QUOTE=Photoboy;34125]Does Svendsen's own Alameda Marina now?/QUOTE]

Yes.

Originally posted by Photoboy View Post
                    I wonder if they replaced the old wooden docks with concrete ones if the could fill the slips? There seems to be a shortage of sub 30' slips and they could possible fill the void...
                    900' of America's Cup dock has been moved into the Alameda Marina. Changes coming next spring.
                    Clean bottoms are FastBottoms!

Comment

Woohoo! I have to ameliorate my prior post and say I like just about everything else about the place, especially given the comparative cost: location, sven's, the staff, weather, bathrooms, etc. Some dock upgrades would icing on the cake.
                      Docks and unused boats aside, the main reason I don't leave is because of the core bunch who DO use their boats regularly. The hoist & transient area (dock 5) is a hub of activity and there is always something interesting to be seen, discussed, overheard, consumed, etc, unlike many marinas that seem like ghost towns.
                      Now if they could just install a space-time transporter to bypass the estuary when breeze and patience run low...

Comment

Don't get your hopes up for a revamped Santana Row. Just sayin'...

Comment

Hmmm. I wonder if Alameda Marina is just taking the hit, and the boats are just at other marinas. I still don't get the dearth of dry-sailed racing boats, though.

Comment

I have kept one boat or another at Alameda Marina for most of the last 20+ years and my business is based there, so I'm on the property 4 or 5 days a week. Honestly, I don't notice that there are more empty slips now than at any other time.

Comment

I hesitated posting this - but I've recently had an awful tenant experience in the dry lot. Basically, I found myself in a tough position - needed a spot for a week, worked out a deal with the harbormaster for a 1 week temp stay. No worries, all is good. Get a call Friday from an irate harbormaster who has his ass chewed by management. If that's typical, management doesn't treat their employees very well when they put customer service first. I do still rent a spot there, so I am a customer, but I was just taking up an additional couple spots with the boat while I waited for final rigging. What I didn't know, and isn't in the contract, that is if you aren't using Sven's for services, you will get heat for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X