2013 Rating Rule Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Rating Rule Summit

This event was last week -- I forgot to put it on my calendar, so consequently did not go. Did anyone go? What happened?

__________________________________________________ ___

Rating Rule Summit
    St. Francis Yacht Club
    Thursday, October 10, 2013
    7pm

PHRF-ORR-IRC-HPR-Americap-IOR-???

Please join San Francisco Bay owners, sailmakers, marine industry professionals, race management leaders to brainstorm what rule(s) will get more people out on boats racing in 2014!

that sounds like it must've been a fun time….

Comment

It was on my calendar but work took precedence and I couldn't attend. If anyone (here) did, it would be nice to know if any conclusions were reached.

Like if I have to get my boat weighed to get a PHRF certificate next year . . .

Comment

The meeting was mostly about IRC vs ORR ratings. Stan Honey and Bill Lee talked about what they see happening on the west coast which is that IRC is evidently not well liked, especially in the bay area, and ORR is doing very well in southern California and has been well received by Pac Cup racers. The St. Francis, because IRC is so unpopular and ORR is gaining in popularity, is thinking about changing from IRC to ORR for their regattas and was asking for feedback from the racing community.

Certified PHRF certificates (boat must be weighed) were not really discussed but I do know that Certified PHRF certificates will be used in next years Pac Cup for boats below a certain length threshold. This, I think, is good news as it allows racers with smaller budgets to race to Hawaii and not have to pay to cost of a ORR certificate. A Certified PHRF certificate also helps with rating boats, for the Pac Cup, in that a Certified PHRF rating is based on some scientific data as apposed to being based on data that are guesses at best. I'm not advocating one way or another, just putting my thoughts on paper. I've not heard any discussion about Certified PHRF certificates being used or needed for YRA or other bay or coastal racing.

Comment

Thanks Don.

Comment

Certified PHRF certs? That sounds like a great idea that could gain traction. Was there any discussion on protocol for weighing boats and by whom. I.E. would single lift scales be used, scale pads for travel lifts. Who would over see the weigh ins? etc.

The last time I sailed Pac Cup in 2010 it was just PHRF Nor cal. I dont recall that we had to be ORR. Was ORR mandated for 2012?
            I sail, therefore I am.

“If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.” Douglas Adams.

Comment

From the Pac Cup web site:

Posted in the race documents section as Appendix 2, the NOR appendix provides that:

The Pacific Cup (best overall) will be awarded based on the "Certified Downwind PHRF" rating

Depending on their ratings, each division will be scored exclusively either with the ORR rating or PHRF-DW rating

For fully-crewed divisions, the intent is that boats rated at 550DW (eg J/105) or higher will be assigned to PHRF divisions

Subject to race committee discretion, fully-crewed boats rated at 550DW (e.g. J/105) or higher will be assigned to PHRF divisions, and boats rating lower than 550DW must get ORR certificates. ORR certificates will convert automatically to a Certified PRHF-DW certificate for the overall competition..

PHRF boats may race with their ordinary (uncertified) PHRF-DW rating, but would not be eligible for overall Pacific Cup.

For the faster boats, the impact will be slight, as their ORR ratings will provide all the data needed for the PHRF cert. For the PHRF boats, it will be necessary empty and weigh the boat. This is something of a chore (though most agree that it's a good exercise to empty the boat at some point anyway). The weight information may be used to adjust PHRF ratings.

Pac Cup is working with YRA-PHRF to arrange for group "weigh-ins" to keep costs of weighing and overhang measurement to a bare minimum. More information on that will come out as developed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker View Post
                Certified PHRF certs? That sounds like a great idea that could gain traction. Was there any discussion on protocol for weighing boats and by whom. I.E. would single lift scales be used, scale pads for travel lifts. Who would over see the weigh ins? etc.

DEL.TEXT

See YRA.org Certified Ratings http://www.yra.org/PHRF/ncphrf_certifiedratings.html

Comment

Working...
                X