Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiotwind
    replied
    Just a garbage set. I believe that Max and Lee have it in their dictionary.

Leave a comment:

• IOR Geezer
    replied
    We already have the "Mexican Douse" and the "Chinese Gybe", can we add "Peta-looman Launch" to the vocabulary?

Leave a comment:

• Idiotwind
    replied
    Is that the State of the Onion? Who's the white guy? What's Barry saying?

Leave a comment:

• Prince of Whales
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Idiotwind
    replied
    In re: Garbage Sets. Yeah, we hate it when that happens, too, but we just roll with it. I packed the kite, so I take full responsibility for the magnificent photo sequence.

Leave a comment:

• Angry Dolphin
    replied
    New England Ropes is making a new hypoallergenic line of lines.

Leave a comment:

• Buzz Light Beer
    replied
    You know I'm allergic to spectra neck ties

Leave a comment:

• Charlie Tuna
    replied

Are we finally gonna have a lynching?

Leave a comment:

• Buzz Light Beer
    replied
    Just stirring it up a little. My guess is they were set up for a gybe set coming into the weather mark and the wind shift from
    NW to SW happened just as they reached the mark.

Hate it when that happens!

Leave a comment:

• BobJ
    replied
    Top J/24 crews have been doing something similar for years, since hoisting out of a turtle can be slow. Throw the kite out under the boom and top it - done.

Quite doable on a 24'er (or in this case, a 20'er). A full-sized boat, not so much.

The lifeline comment was a low blow (although I admit I thought about it!) Good to meet you in Vallejo, Richard.

Leave a comment:

• IOR Geezer
    replied
    Just for clarification, when is the proper time to use the "super secret pole less Petaluma chicken coop set" over more conventional sets?

Leave a comment:

• Idiotwind
    replied
    Hardy har har, on the lifelines. See you in the Spring, in the BAMA DH Rockpile. Bring your "A" game.

This sequence all happened in about 90 seconds. Hilarious. I'm telling the C20 Fleet all about it, so they can learn. Guys with massive wallets, $250k boats, and no experience racing should get one of these, and build some chops. Paul's a beast. Crew wins races. Skipper's lose them, most of the time.

624, out.

Leave a comment:

• Buzz Light Beer
    replied
    That thars a fine, fine example of seamanship. But where are the lifelines?

Leave a comment:

• Photoboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Idiotwind View Post
    Love the shots of the Can. That's just what happens when you do a garbage set from the back side! Paulie took about 45 seconds to get it sorted out. Nice start to the new year, with 5 '20s on the line. Should be 6 in December. Thanks, PB!

Gotta share the ® "Can-O-Whoopass" super secret pole less Petaluma chicken coop set employed during the 1st race of the BYC Mid Winter Worlds

Part 1:Foredeck drags kite unceremoniously out sometime after rounding weather mark

Part 2: Without pole assist, the foredeck holds the kite on board and hooks up lines

Part 3: When ready, foredeck hollers "Hoist" and up she goes

Part 4: When kite head has reached the sheave, the foredeck yells "Made" and then starts to unravel said kite

This is the tricky part, with kite beginning to fill, the foredeck holds the sheet clew while undoing the sheet and clears the line, then reassembles

The process is repeated for the guy

Once sorted, the spinnaker pole is inserted

The foredeck then returns to the cockpit and pulls on the right lines until the kite is
    properly trimmed, while the driver carefully maneuvers to keep the boat under the powerful
    windcatcher

Once completed, crew pose for the 2014 Mirabaud Yacht Racing Image of the Year contest
    * (note the shaka, not the shocker is employed, very important for contest photos)
    Last edited by Photoboy; 11-12-2013, 11:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Slackwater_SF
    replied
    Nice looking day for getting around buoys.

Six (6) Cal-20's is good fleet,

Merit25's have a one-design group in the Alameda Estuary. Maybe your efforts will lead to even more 20's around the buoys, S-->

Leave a comment:

Working...
X