Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice write up Mike!

Comment

As I look at the finish times of the SSS Farallones race where all but a couple of 200+ raters finished before dark I wonder if the OYRA Farallones race should start earlier.

I guess we would just be trading staying up late for getting up early but it might give us more time to complete the race.

Any thoughts or comments pro or con on moving the OYRA Farallones start an hour or two earlier?

Comment

I think it's a crap shoot, whether u drift around in the am looking for breeze, or the middle, or the end. It might mean less after dark sailing but I kinda like that myself. So I vote "meh".

Comment

I'm a big fan of night sailing, but not a big fan of sitting on a race deck after dark. Gets cold sitting there.

Whatever works for you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Newell View Post
            As I look at the finish times of the SSS Farallones race where all but a couple of 200+ raters finished before dark I wonder if the OYRA Farallones race should start earlier.

I guess we would just be trading staying up late for getting up early but it might give us more time to complete the race.

Any thoughts or comments pro or con on moving the OYRA Farallones start an hour or two earlier?
            Why not start around 1600, round at dusk, and have a nightime firehouse reach home in the dark? Oh, and include Dux on the way out. That would be a cool course.

Comment

In the days of Iron Sailors and Plastic Classics, many of the OYRA/MORA races did involve overnights - or "almost overnights." I remember one on an Islander 36 where the course was Lightship/S.Buoy/Lightship/Farallones/Bonita 2/Finish. After dark we came across a horseshoe with strobe light and stopped to pick it up and look around with our wimpy flashlights. We also pulled the boom vang fitting off the boom in jibing and jibing around. Turns out the buoy was off a boat way ahead and they just sailed off. I think we finished around 0400.

Some SSS Farallones racers in light air races would anchor off China Beach waiting for the Flood and go to sleep in the meantime.

Comment

it would be cool to have 1 NorCal "ironman/woman" race.

SoCal has the 300.

I suppose the LongPac is it for now.

Comment

That was done some time ago.

It was the Danforth Series.

Comment

yeah, I know it was through talking to guys who've been doing it for awhile. I'd be willing to give it a go.

As a for instance, we button hooked the Spin Cup since we needed to complete our qualifier. It gave us practice in standing watches cause you can't sprint for 27 hours. Well, maybe you can, I can't. I've not done that before. Cooking real meals underway, grib file downloads, interesting tactical calls, etc. Would have been more interesting if we were still racing.

I don't know how much interest there might be.

Comment

People didn't know any better back then.

The SoCal 300 works because its almost all downhill.

And it's warm.

Beating to weather in 25-30 in cold and fog and dark in 7-9 seas isn't as romantic as it sounds.

Plus we lack islands outside the gate.

Comment

The turnout for Windjammers was pathetic.

And that's generally a sleigh-ride.

Comment

I have a friend that races out of Schevingen in the Netherlands, mostly doublehanded. In the summer, he does a lot of upwind bashing in the North Sea, and they seem to do it in a crowd...like the Fastnet, which is always on their agenda as well. People race upwind in a lot of places, even up in Puget Sound. Back in the mid 70's to mid 80's, these races were well attended, both by MORA and larger boats.

So what's different? The water temp is the same. The weather is the same. The boats are actually faster and more fun to sail.

Comment

The Coastal Cup?

Comment

Money. It always comes down to money.

The organizing YCs need regatta folks in the bar spending money - not 200 miles away eating inadequately re-hydrated Rice-a-roni and Powerbars on the rail of a boat. They don't have an incentive to set it up, so it's no-one's job to set it up, so it doesn't get set up.

Comment

Most OYRA races don't end up in the host yacht club bar afterwards. The only one where we actually join up somewhere is Half Moon Bay and the YC is merely hoping to break even. They have started asking for dinner reservations in advance because they got left with a bunch of food they could not sell one year. I don't think it is the money.

Coastal Cup 2015 had 7 starters. I think that speaks volumes. You get Coastal Cup to 50 boats and others like it will appear on the calendar. Run a race with 7 boats and that won't happen.

I only had one complaint about our last OYRA race on 6/6. The 42 nm race was too long and he could not finish before the midnight deadline.

We investigated extending the midnight deadline for the 2015 OYRA Farallones race. The RC basically said no. They said they were already sharing StFYC with the cleaning staff after 9pm and that the club would not let them stay any later. We have enough trouble finding willing and capable RC. Try asking them to sit in their car all night to finish a couple of slow boats and it will get much harder. The days when the RC goes home at 8pm and you call your time in to an answering machine are long gone. The USCG permit requires that we have someone keeping live track of the fleet until all boats are finished or dropped out.

Comment

Working...
                                X