Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShanaCruz50
    replied
    Forget the Onions, This was the Thrash to the Pumpkin Patch!!!

While the amount of wind varied by the forecast, the wind was definitely going to come from the south. As excited as I was to be back on board Big D (aka Love Rollercoaster) after a month of land-yachting in Baja, I was dreading a lumpy ride from hell (in a BIG bucket) to HMB. What kind of race is it if you can't fly a kite?

11696410_1605341259744713_2889337964517953447_o-2.jpg

We headed out the G8 in 13-15 knots of breeze. The wind was supposed to die outside, but it didn't. We actually saw wind speeds up to 24 knots, but it pretty much hung around 20 knots. Surprisingly, the sea state was relatively mellow, even though it was against us. Using the head was risky business. If only we had a gimbaled head like Maserati (See video - go to 1:02 for awesome visuals - thanks BVL). Oh, and there was a lot of tacking.

P1090900.jpg

We stayed on the outside while others in our fleet were on the inside. It was not the usual SC50 sleigh ride. It was reminiscent of that horrible Class 3 washboard road from Punta San Francisquito to El Arco... But, as usual, we had a great time. Zamazaan had a few tricks up their sleeves (Mercer, Gilmour, ... to name a few) and finished right behind us. It was a close one.

We turned and burned. The ride home was worth all of the thrashing. It was a nice way to end the day, a beautiful day. We put the kite up and drove downhill like The Joker (with ridiculous smiles on our faces).

P1090921.jpg

The sea life was abundant - there were smelly whales, a couple of basking mola mola, and an acrobatic sea lion. We even heard SF celebrating love to a disco beat. Lucky for Sue Alexander (our "man trimmer" - see PD OYRA Crewed Farallons ; "I thought I'd get to see whales, instead I got to see some barf" -- Lat 38 ), this time, we saw whales and no barf. We definitely enjoyed the ride.

Peace Out, Bagley
    Deceptionista 1 of 12

Leave a comment:

• Charlie Tuna
    replied
    https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=...OC=r4&TYP=html

From hero to zero without leaving the dock!

Leave a comment:

• ShanaCruz50
    replied
    The rankings have changed...

Leave a comment:

• Carl Spackler
    replied
    My favorite tang has poon preceding it

Leave a comment:

• ShanaCruz50
    replied
    Zamazaan finished closely behind Deception. It was close. A few boats had some confusion with the course. Write up coming soon...

Leave a comment:

• bobw
    replied
    Originally posted by JimQuanci View Post
    Nope. This is "just" a 4 year old tang.

Looking at it some more, some chance the problem was the ride home from HMB... with the backstay all the way out so the headstay was quite loose... and the #1 slapping forward... pulling the tang forward... shock loading. I am thinking this because its the back side (stern side) of the tang that has the crack all the way across. hmmm
    crap. now i want to go look at my stem fitting.

Leave a comment:

• JimQuanci
    replied
    Oh... in case anyone is interested... my navigator captured our GPS track...HMB Race 2015.jpg
    You can clearly see how much the wind swung south coming around Pt. San Pedro.

Leave a comment:

• JimQuanci
    replied
    Originally posted by Conan the Librarian View Post
    That is the original tang?
    Nope. This is "just" a 4 year old tang.

Looking at it some more, some chance the problem was the ride home from HMB... with the backstay all the way out so the headstay was quite loose... and the #1 slapping forward... pulling the tang forward... shock loading. I am thinking this because its the back side (stern side) of the tang that has the crack all the way across. hmmm

Leave a comment:

• Conan the Librarian
    replied
    Originally posted by JimQuanci View Post
    Yes it was bumpy... check out what my headstay tank looked like when I was "cleaning up" the boat Sunday afternoon... got lucky... [ATTACH=CONFIG]1561[/ATTACH]
    Makes me thing Vallejo (or one of those Hawaii races) started the crack... and HMB almost "finished it off".
    That is the original tang?

Leave a comment:

• Single Hander
    replied
    That is tight!

Leave a comment:

• Andy Newell
    replied
    Originally posted by Bitchin Bow Dude View Post
    Zamazaan & Deception finished at exactly the same time?

Doesn't get any closer than that!
    That is what was reported by the race committee on their finish sheet. If anybody knows different please let us know.

Leave a comment:

• JimQuanci
    replied
    Yes it was bumpy... check out what my headstay tank looked like when I was "cleaning up" the boat Sunday afternoon... got lucky... cracked tang.jpg
    Makes me thing Vallejo (or one of those Hawaii races) started the crack... and HMB almost "finished it off".

Leave a comment:

• Bitchin Bow Dude
    replied
    Zamazaan & Deception finished at exactly the same time?

Doesn't get any closer than that!

Leave a comment:

• Panama Red
    replied
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it!

Leave a comment:

• TYC_Sailor
    replied
    I was on Green Buffalo and we took the inside course. We had the #1 up and were experiencing 18-20 knot winds and a nice lift at the point. Our tactic was to sail out until the wind dropped and then tack back in. Seemed to work! We too saw the whales (we think there were two) at Mile Rock. Beautiful sight. Nice day - left RYC at 8:00am, back in the slip at 8:00pm.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X