YRA 1/2 Moon Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YRA 1/2 Moon Bay

Was in the Moss Beach to Montara area Saturday afternoon and saw the fleet tacking up the beach in glorious flat conditions
    with 15-20 on the water and a majestically painted sky and a warm southerly gathering steam... Not packing camera and on a mission,
    it looked like an opportunity to be had...The turn and burn crews no doubt had a great ride back up the coast!
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

I'm not sure where you saw those "glorious flat conditions?" Can you Photoshop that short, nasty, wet, hull thumping chop we sailed into all day out of the picture? You are right, however, about the ride back up. It was beautiful, including the Humpback we saw feeding near Mile Rock - and the flock of gulls taking advantage of the food it was stirring up.Humpback.jpgHumpback Mile Rock.jpg

Comment

Funny, I have no memory of the conditions, nor of my spectacular win in SHS. In fact, I could swear I was sitting in my slip all day installing a new halyard clutch. I guess I should check with Laura - maybe I really did win!

Comment

A win is a win!

Comment

Max, you've entered the mystical realm of true sailing, where you win by not even leaving the slip. Congrats!

Comment

I think the inside guys had much less chop to deal with and plenty of wind. We were on the outside with Pat and yes, it was nasty. Every time it seemed we were getting up to speed, splat...

My guess is that the error that shows Maggie finishing at almost midnight when everyone was in by 6 and Iniscaw finishing at all are related and will be fixed shortly. That's why the results are preliminary. The overall results are also incorrect because we sailed two different courses, and a couple of boats sailed a third course just to maximize their fun.

We also saw the whale inside Mile Rock, but he was there Sunday afternoon.

Comment

there was slop/chop inside too, but plenty of breeze, and a lift on starboard, at least down to pacifica. Kudos to SailTactics on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by bobw View Post
                there was slop/chop inside too, but plenty of breeze, and a lift on starboard, at least down to pacifica. Kudos to SailTactics on that one.
                Yeah, I figured there might be a lift in there but I was incorrectly worried about there not being much wind inside Point San Pedro in the southerly. We were heading in that way and the wind dropped below 10 for a while so we headed back out in to the slop. Mistake in both tactics and comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by Wylieguy View Post
                  I'm not sure where you saw those "glorious flat conditions?" Can you Photoshop that short, nasty, wet, hull thumping chop we sailed into all day out of the picture? You are right, however, about the ride back up. It was beautiful, including the Humpback we saw feeding near Mile Rock - and the flock of gulls taking advantage of the food it was stirring up.
                  I was behind the wheel of a large automobile traversing the area with lots of weekend warriors doing what weekend warriors do..sudden stops, un signaled turns, darting across the road etc...but the moments I did have a clear view, it seemed like very nice conditions for a beat to HMB.

But for you Pat, I shall re write my description:

"Twas motoring along the Highway Saturday and witnessed the absolute brutal conditions the fleet was enduring. 50 knot winds on the nose, 30' seas and temperature so cold, some crew had windbreakers on and stuff"

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Comment

I was on Green Buffalo and we took the inside course. We had the #1 up and were experiencing 18-20 knot winds and a nice lift at the point. Our tactic was to sail out until the wind dropped and then tack back in. Seemed to work! We too saw the whales (we think there were two) at Mile Rock. Beautiful sight. Nice day - left RYC at 8:00am, back in the slip at 8:00pm.

Comment

When you come to a fork in the road, take it!

Comment

Zamazaan & Deception finished at exactly the same time?

Doesn't get any closer than that!

Comment

Yes it was bumpy... check out what my headstay tank looked like when I was "cleaning up" the boat Sunday afternoon... got lucky... cracked tang.jpg
                          Makes me thing Vallejo (or one of those Hawaii races) started the crack... and HMB almost "finished it off".
                          Where the Buffalo roams

Comment

Originally posted by Bitchin Bow Dude View Post
                            Zamazaan & Deception finished at exactly the same time?

Doesn't get any closer than that!
                            That is what was reported by the race committee on their finish sheet. If anybody knows different please let us know.

Comment

That is tight!

Comment

Working...
                              X