X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theee Plot!

It Thickens!

Comment

Keep in mind that when filing opinion letters to officials, actual letters with your name and address and signature count about 1000% more than a text or email or phone call voice mail.

And in most proposals like the ones they showed in yesterdays meetings, they will over ask for what they really want, knowing it will look like they compromised when it comes to negotiating a final deal.

Comment

The lack of boat hoists already available should be concern enough, but Alameda Marina is one of the very few you can still work on your own boat at.

Don't blow it people!

Comment

Great stuff, Photoboy. Wow...the developer is under some strict deadlines.

Comment

buster, I appreciate your observation. However, you seem to be shuffling the responsibility for responding to this onto "us"...whoever "us" is.

I'd like to suggest that if you're based anywhere in the San Francisco Bay Area, this is your issue, just as much as it is anybody else's. I'm not so much a "regular" on PD or SA so I don't know who the people are behind the handles. However, I know this.....the industries that support our sport have been taking hits for well over a decade. We need to support what's left, or instead of what...five? Six? Boatyards left there will be four. And then three. And then two... and so on. When there we 30 it was one thing. That's not the case any more.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the reporting, Alan. As someone who couldn't make it to the "community" meeting, I wonder who did attend and what their response was. Mostly fellow boaters, or residents, or...? Was it uniform outrage, or resignation, or (gulp) pro-development?
              I assume if the marina disappears, so do all of the (currently legal) liveaboards that call Alameda Marina home.
              Did they discuss what sort of entity will operate and maintain the docks and serve their tenants, if they do in fact decide--or concede--that having "all the pretty boats on the water" is part of the plan?

Comment

Un-fucking-believeable. I am a tenant at Alameda Marina, I run my business from there and I had no idea this was going down. I had a conversation with Sean Svendsen a year or so ago and he told me that the marina and boatyard were his dad's legacy and that he would never want to see any major changes there. I will be going up to the harbor office today to see what can be learned.
                Clean bottoms are FastBottoms!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mc View Post
                  A lot of the berths are in disrepair and downright dangerous.
                  Well, that's pretty much complete bullshit. While it is an old marina, a dock reconstruction project is nearing completion, a piling replacement project is completed and Sean bought hundreds of feet of floating dock sections from the America's Cup organizers to move forward with redesigning the 100-dock basin.

Originally posted by Tom Mc View Post
                  When I worked there a year or so ago they were running 90% + occupancy on all their commercial and office space. It may have changed.
                  It hasn't.
                  Clean bottoms are FastBottoms!

Comment

Originally posted by bajaking View Post
                    Thanks so much for all the reporting, Alan. As someone who couldn't make it to the "community" meeting, I wonder who did attend and what their response was. Mostly fellow boaters, or residents, or...? Was it uniform outrage, or resignation, or (gulp) pro-development?
                    I assume if the marina disappears, so do all of the (currently legal) liveaboards that call Alameda Marina home.
                    Did they discuss what sort of entity will operate and maintain the docks and serve their tenants, if they do in fact decide--or concede--that having "all the pretty boats on the water" is part of the plan?
                    If I was to sum up MY SENSE of the general opinions of the group....and remember, this is just MY SENSE of it, not a "fact"... I'd say this.

I would guess that of the 47-49 people in attendance who had "clickers"..meaning they were community members and not employees of the development company, the overwhelming majority were strongly opposed to all the concepts of housing that the developers staff proposed.

Proposals for "little bits" of open space were not popular. The idea of taking some of the space and turning it into an enormous grassy field, like a park, fared better.

When shown pictures of what kinds of businesses should be there, the picture of a CVS Pharmacy got a resounding NO. A picture of an overhead lift moving some large piece of steel around in a large machine shop got a strong "yes". Pictures of office space got intermediate responses. Same goes for the picture of light retail that the development company people chose...they picked a picture of a kayak sales/rental place. Pictures of an artists studio did a little better.

During the comments period, most of the commenters...I was one of them.... strongly supported the marina. There were concerns expressed about traffic. Two women expressed some interest in having some housing on the site, but that it needed to integrate with the surrounding neighborhood and not be some techno-monstrosity.

At no point during the presentation was any discussion held about how the boat docks would be administered, or a word about liveaboards.

In summary, and again, this is MY TAKE on it, I would say that the strong majority of attendees at the meeting rejected all the developers staffs plans for housing in any form and strongly supported retaining the functions of the existing marina.

Comment

When I was there his past weekend I saw some significant dock repair and replacement work going on... extra fingers have been brought in to replace some of the existing ones. A good 100+ feet of the dock around the 3 ton hoist is new. It's true that some of the wooden decks "picnic areas" and "areas open to the public" on pilings need work, and there are a couple of places where the seawall is bulging. But the place is hardly a disaster, and hardly unsafe.... or no more so than any other place where people can walk on docks on the water.

I, personally see how a developer would look at the place and see it as terribly underused. I also agree that what the developers staffers are calling "The Clement Wall"...the wall of brown building walls and chainlink fence that lines Clement avenue is not the most attractive thing, ever. But those things can be changed without ruining the marina. Heck if the developer just HAS TO put in some housing, then kick out the RV's, consolidate the dry boat storage, and build some townhomes. Fine. Just don't destroy the marina.

Some people are completely ignoring the fact that there are literally dozens of acres of now-opened space on the other side of the Naval Reserve station which are available. Go drive down there. A mess of the old, rundown warehouses that did nothing for decades are gone. That's all been razed. Go check out the parking area where Nelsons Marine was before it moved to Alameda Point. It's completely empty, and has been for years. If there just HAS TO BE MORE HOUSING, they can build out hundreds of units there and completely leave the Alameda Marina alone.

Comment

As a debbie downer, I'm not sure you'll be successful fighting this - but stranger things have happened. Alameda Marina is sitting on PRIME real estate, and to be honest, it's an eyesore. Crappy buildings, crappy asphault, and a bunch of RV parking on PRIME real estate just doesn't make sense. Funny smells from paint fumes, etc.

Now - an option, since the City already has plans for developing Seaplane Lagoon - maybe a trade? Develop the lagoon and surrounds to have a vibrant Marine industry bringing JOBS and TAX REVENUE to the city. Is there a non-profit group getting created? Needs a couple energizer bunnies. I'd figure out how to contribute somehow.

Comment

Alan, folks will want housing on the estuary over housing on the point, just because of the weather. Like I say elsewhere, this is PRIME RE, especially given Oaklands plans on high density housing from JLS and to the SE.

Comment

"Both of the business tenants said that the community meeting was quite 'friendly' whereas the business tenants met with the actual president of the development company. Word from the two guys I talked to was that the developer told them he's coming in with cranes, wrecking balls and bulldozers in 18-24 months and they all have to be out."

"He apparently told everybody that he had no choice, the City zoning specified that the site HAD to be "mixed use" housing*. Apparently the tenor of the meeting....and remember, I wasn't there, I'm just passing this on secondhand....was along the lines of 'I own the place, I'm flattening it, I don't have a choice, get the fuck out.' "

That's only because "Mr. Trump" has a hard on about developing it. They didn't HAVE to agree to the lease terms in 2012 and he didn't HAVE to purchase the fee interest. It's hard to be sympathetic; in fact it's very tempting to do everything to fight it - and these days there's a LOT you can do. Aspiring developers of Alameda Point have walked away in frustration, having spent several years and tons of cash trying.

Welcome to Alameda.

* "Mixed-use" is not the same as Residential.

Comment

Seaplane Lagoon would be a nice addition to the marine environment but they will no doubt put in 40' slips, charge an arm and a leg and price out the small boat owners.

Alameda Marina is, and should remain a working mans marina, not a yuppie hipster hangout for trustafarians.

Comment

you "might" be able to get the anti-growth folks in your camp playing up the "working mans marina" angle, but anti-growth people usually think all boat owners ARE trustifarians.

Comment

Working...
                                X