Originally posted by 3D View Post
    Yes.

-3D
    Excellent... Muchas gracias.

Leave a comment:

• 3D
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan H View Post
    Was the promised crane actually on-site and functional for the 3BF?
    Yes.

-3D

Leave a comment:

• Alan H
    replied
    Was the promised crane actually on-site and functional for the 3BF?

Leave a comment:

• Alan H
    replied
    My letter to the Alameda Sun printed in the hard copy of the newspaper today. I'm a bit frustrated. The Alameda Sun website through which you submit letters to the editor has an "edit your content" feature. As the developments have come out this week regarding the Alameda Marina and the rented crane, I've gone back and edited my letter. The last edit, which credits the Marina for stepping up with the rented crane, didn't make the print version. That last edit also has a pointer to the Latitude 38 article.

so I've written a note to the editor on their e-mail submission page, this is what I wrote to them.

=========

I'm disappointed that you all did not print a later update of my letter to the editor in this weeks print edition. You should know, and it's included in my current update, that the Alameda Marina is providing a crane for tenants for the upcoming weekend at no charge. The ongoing issue of maintenance is still relevant, but the Marina did step up for the upcoming weekend. Of course, it took prodding; a phone call or two from City Hall to get them to do it, but in the end they did come through. It would be fair to the Marina Harbormasters Office to print an update which says this. I would appreciate it if when that's done, that you credit me for letting you know about it.

Lastly, in the print article you finish my letter by writing that I'm a boater who lives in Alameda. That's not a true statement. I have kept boats in Alameda, I'm a regular boating-activity-related visitor to Alameda and I really like Alameda and the Alameda Marina but I actually live elsewhere in the Bay Area.

================

I may have strong opinions and I may write them strongly, but I also believe in being fair. I really think that next week, the Sun should print an update, and I would really appreciate getting a little credit for pointing out to them that the crane was in operation.

Assuming of course, that the thing actually shows up.

Leave a comment:

• Panama Red
    replied
    All's well that ends well!

Leave a comment:

• Charlie Tuna
    replied
    Damn, gotta go put the pitch forks and torches back in storage now.

Good to hear they are making an effort!

Leave a comment:

• Prince of Whales
    replied
    The marina is apparently aware of the 3BF and are making accommodations.

Harbor Master Paul Houtz says a temp 3 ton hoist (at east end) will be in place Friday afternoon and launching boats from 4 pm Friday.
    Boats can get pulled Sunday. They are attempting to put a 2 ton motor on the 3 ton hoist for lighter boats to use temporarily as well.
    Free overnight berthing for boats will be provided.

Leave a comment:

• Alan H
    replied
    The strategy is obvious. Raise rent, cut services, don't do maintenance until everybody gets so disgusted that they leave. Then, go to city hall and say "Look, there's nobody here. Let me build my market-rate housing!"

I hear that maybe they've rented a 3-ton crane for the weekend. Rumour has it.

Leave a comment:

• solosailor
    replied
    I was told several times that the hoist is not guaranteed to be open or functional per the contract.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie Tuna
    replied
    http://www.alamedamarina.net/drystorage.html

Says here they have a 3 ton hoist.

Leave a comment:

• Prince of Whales
    replied
    Breach of contract right there!

Leave a comment:

• IOR Geezer
    replied
    I'm no legal eagle, but pretty sure that Alameda Marina promoted their dry storage with 3 hoists when most of the current tenants signed their storage contracts.

There must be some binding legalese that can be applied.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Spreaders
    replied
    Club together and offer Svends or Svend's crane operator some $$ to come in over the weekend and do the launch and retrieval.

Leave a comment:

• Alan H
    replied
    It's all just bullshit. You can buy 220V outdoor 3-ton chain hoist motors on fucking ebay . Global sells 'em, and they ship overnight. "Coming weeks" my ass.

2-ton hoist, 20 foot drop..."just add chain". $2500

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...-20-115-230v-1

3-ton hoist, 20 foot drop... $4500

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...-9-55-fpm-230v

Leave a comment:

• solosailor
    replied
    Different sized hoists/motors for sure.

As for expectation that they will pay $$$ to rent a crane with operator or pay Svendsen's hundreds each to launch/haul a few dozen boats might be more than wishful thinking.

Last time I got into it with them they said "there is no guarantee the hoist will be operational or unlocked anytime" and was reminded it's in the contract that basically your only renting the storage space.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X