No announcement yet.

2017 Cabo Race, RIO 100 Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet hotel rooms are cheap in cabo about right now!

Comment

Wednesday Morning in Cabo

TRACKER

"At about 10 PM last night it seemed as though we could see finishers as early as this morning, with the multi hulls doing about 20 knots according to the trackers. However, now looks like the wind has died down again and it’s back to slower sailing.

From the perspective of this armchair quarterback, it looks as if Mighty Merloe was going to hunt for more wind by going outside, at one point as much as 90 degrees to the finish line giving them a zero VMG to the finish. Phaedo3 quickly covered from a lead position following the Mightly Merloe out. At about 1 am, Mighty Merlin jibbed back towards land with Phaedo3 jibbing as well to cover. By 8 am, they were both back near the rhumb line with only about 20 miles separation.

Meanwhile, Zephyrus is leading the ORR on a direct course to finish. The battle for ORR2 is a tight race, with Grand Illusion and Holua in a close and tight race with only about 5 miles between them.

Wind forecasts continue to change, but RC is expecting to see some arrivals starting today and continuing through the night and into tomorrow.

Fiesta Happy Hour today a 4pm to 6pm at the Baja Cantina (Race Headquarters) for competitors, family and friends. RC will be greeting all the boats at the docks when they arrive with Champagne, beer and cheers. If you're in Cabo, hang around the Cantina and help us welcome the finishes to Cabo."
      " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Comment

Phaedo 3 Finished

Phaedo3 has taken line honors in the 2017 NHYC Cabo race, crossing the finish line at 15:35
        this afternoon, completing the 800nm course in 3 Days, 2 Hours 37 minutes and 55 seconds.

Comment

G.I. and Holua Sprint to Finish

TRACKER

The two sleds, Edward McDowells Grand Illusion and Brack Duker's Holua are dashing towards the finish and are less than 2 hours away
          from the finish, meanwhile Zephyrus and Mighty Merloe wrapped their voyages last night and earlier this morning:

Zephyrus Finishes
          Early morning in Cabo, shortly before sunrise and Zephyrus finishes with and elapse time of 4D 13H 26M 45S. Their strategy to win the class was to “win the start” and then “extend their lead”. The strategy worked giving them First Place in ORR 1, crossing the line with no competitors in sight.

As for rations, there is one burrito and one apple to spare on board, according to the crew. It’s Happy Hour time in the Cantina as crew and NHYC Hospitality talk about the race and recap on the Yellow Brick live monitor.

Mighty Merloe Finishes Cabo
          The Mighty Merloe finished the Newport to Cabo International Yacht Race at 17:29:08 local time, less then 2 hours after the first finisher. This gives them 2nd place in the ORCA Class behind Phaedo3. The entire NHYC Hospitality team, along with most of the Phaedo3 team and many other friends and family of other competitors that flew down to Cabo met them at the docks as they arrived.

Everyone enjoyed the hosted Happy Hour Fiesta at the Baja Cantina (Race Headquarters) .

The first ORR boat is expected to cross the finish line sometime early tomorrow morning, followed by the rest of the boats later in the day. There is still a close race in the ORR 2 Class between Grand Illusions and Holua as they are only 5 miles apart only 100 nm from the finish.

Comment

Rations on Zephyrus seem scant.

Budget concerns?

Comment

No freeze dried pizza?

Comment

GI's done!

Comment

Holua takes 2nd!

Comment

I got a $20.00 that says Horizon wins ORR3!

Comment

Looks like Horizon got in during the wee hours.

Comment

Lloyd Thornburg's MOD70 took line honours and 1st in class during the 2017 Cabo Race. They had a fantastic race with Mighty Merloe, swapping places between 1st and 2nd as they descended West of the Baha Peninsula.

Comment

The Mighty Merloe's video of Cabo Race

Comment

Working...
                          X