Berkeley Pier Piling Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berkeley Pier Piling Rescue

ALAMEDA, Calif. — The Coast Guard rescued two boaters after their boat was beset by high winds against the old Berkeley pier, west of the Berkeley Marina, Saturday.

At approximately 11 a.m., a good Samaritan contacted Coast Guard Sector San Francisco watchstanders reporting two mariners stranded on the Berkeley pier ruins after their recreational vessel was pushed against the pilings by high winds.

A 45-foot Response Boat-Medium crew from Coast Guard Station San Francisco and an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station San Francisco were dispatched.

The helicopter crew arrived on scene and hoisted the two boaters, who were transported to Air Station San Francisco with no reported injuries.

The Coast Guard urges boaters to operate their boat within their skill set and during periods of high wind, only get underway if necessary. Mariners should always check the weather before heading out on the water and ensure life jackets and a VHF-FM marine-band radio are aboard.

-USCG-

An MH-65 Dolphin rescue helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station San Francisco rescues two boaters after their vessel was beset by high winds along the old Berkeley pier, west of the Berkeley, California, Dec. 16, 2017.
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Glad they're OK.

Still, someday, someone is going to die on the Berkeley Pier, and while I hope it doesn't happen, I also hope that the persons family sues the City of Berkeley for a wad of money...say ten or fifteen million dollars, and they get it.

Every time I sail by the thing I marvel that nobody has died, yet, and that the city of Berkeley hasn't spent the money to remove the thing. It's just a heartbreaking accident waiting to happen, and the city is just ignoring the issue and pretending it doesn't exist.

Comment

I think it might be a registered historical site of some sort

Comment

I think the city wanted to make it a historic landmark but not sure if the ever followed through.

Comment

As of sometime in 2015, the "good" part of the pier was closed to the public because it's basically falling apart.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2015/07/...historic-pier/

That means it' "belongs" to the City, not for example, the private companies who built it in the 1920's. I don't know if any repairs have been done to the inland end of it to reopen it for fishermen, but I strongly doubt it.

Comment

Working...
          X