Spinnaker Cup - May 28 - Strategy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinnaker Cup - May 28 - Strategy?

Anyone want to discuss the Spinnaker Cup (May 28, San Francisco to Monterey)? This is the first time for VALIS and I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone who knows what to expect.

So the start is around 11:00, near the SW corner of Angel Island, right in the middle of a big flood tide. As I see it, with any wind at all I will need to get over to the south side of the bay and work our way out by the South tower and Mile rock. With light wind perhaps I'd best anchor until the tide starts to go slack!

What about that "Montera Wind Hole" I keep hearing about? How far offshore would you expect we will want to go (in our heavy cruiser)?

Any advice for the Monterey approach? What are the typical AM wind patterns?

You should hope for w to nw winds, scooting aft as day progresses. Montara/Devils slide will create a wind shadow 1 mile or so if winds are west or nw.
    Kite can get set off Pillar Point. Rhum line it to Año then head offshore higher than you think to Point Pinos, wind will start backing as you approach Monterey

Southwest winds are a bitch, in which case turn in at HMB and saddle up at the Brewery. Deep fried artichoke hearts and their brown ale go together well.

Tip your waitress

Comment

Spinnaker Cup

If you can get to Davenport early enough in the day, and if there is sun on the hills above Davenport, it pays to gybe down the coast until SC, then rhumb line it across MBay to the finish.

You're going to want to put the GPS coordinates for the pier into your system. The finish buoy is difficult to see until you're nearly on top of it. Look for a FAINT strobe on a yellow ball about 100 yds off of the pier.

Oh, and be sure to keep a good lookout as you get close to Monterey. You will have gone hours without seeing another boat, and it's probable that you'll finish within a few boat lengths of a few of your competitors. It's spooky...you think you're finishing alone and then "HOLY CRAP!" there are running lights right on your ass.

Comment

Monterey Harbor Approach

What it looks like in day light anyways!

Monterey Harbor entrance from the west

The inner harbor entrance is just to the right of the sloops bow

The Beacon and inhabitants

You'll have to negotiate moored vessels just inside the breakwater

Inner harbor entrance, after this, yer on yer own bub!
        " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Comment

Thanks for all the advice!
          Originally posted by Nick Salvador View Post
          If you can get to Davenport early enough in the day, and if there is sun on the hills above Davenport, it pays to gybe down the coast until SC, then rhumb line it across MBay to the finish.
          Why wouldn't I just stay close to the rhumbline from Pigeon Point to Monterey? Is the wind usually better inshore? If we're lucky, we make it to Pigeon Point around 5:00PM (and more likely later than that).

I realize that we're going to pick our course based on the wind we get, but are there any typical traps I might blindly sail into, or reasonable predictions about how things will change as the sun starts to set, etc?

Comment

my 2 cents

Valis,

Below are the the 7 day windgraphs from Waddell and Long Marin Lab for the past week

It will give you and idea of the winds influence down the coast

Local SC knowledge will show that early evening in SC, the wind will start blowing up the coast fom New Briton, past Capitola then slight off shore toward steamers. Particpants in the Windjammer will sail well off the lighthouse point and ride the remaining NW breeze as long as the can....You'll have to make the call that day on what the wind is doing, but I would monitor the buoys and see if you can read it while in progress....

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwher...on=Last+7+Days

Long Marine Lab

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwher...on=Last+7+Days

Waddell Bluff

Comment

At this point, your strategy is paying off, I give it 100% chance of finishing in the top 3!

Category: PHRO1

Flexi Flyer Mitchell Wells San Francisco 18282 Soverel 33-2 33.0 57.0
              Bloom County Elliott James Jon Stewart Sausalito 18151 Custom Mancebo 31.0 57.0
              Wife Not Happy Andrew Carleton San Francisco 280 J105 34.5 66.0
              Scorpio John Siegel San Francisco US 28900 Custom Wylie 42 42.23 15.0
              tiburon Steve Stroub belvedere 38042 santa cruz 37 37.0 0.0

Category: PHRO1A

Pegasus OP-50 Philippe Kahn Santa Cruz 101 Open 50 50.0 -144.0

Category: PHRO2

Split Water David Britt Richmond Yacht Club 40 Beneteau First 10R 32.75 81.0
              Irish Lady Mike Mahoney Alameda, CA 692 Catalina 42 42.0 72.0
              Brainwaves Jim Brainard San Francisco 43533 J35C 35.0 96.0
              Petard Andy Newell Berkeley CA 59284 Farr 36 Mod 36.0 0.0

Category: PHRO3

Estrella Sheri Huette Schoonmaker Point - Sausalito 38056 Moody 42 42.17 117.0
              VALIS Paul Elliott Sausalito 16 PSC44 44.08 99.0
              Seabiscuit Mark Neumann Coyote Point Marina 295 Catalina 36 36.0 138.0

Category: SHS (Single & Double Handed)
              Pegasus Marc Sykes Marina Village 28390 J-35 35.0 75.0
              Plus Sixteen Paul Disario Richmond, CA 97707 Olson 911 30.0 129.0
              Galaxsea Daniel Willey San Francisco 28743 Nauticat 44 48.0 81.0
              Pressure-drop.us ~It's not the size of the website, it's how you use it! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Max Headway View Post
                At this point, your strategy is paying off, I give it 100% chance of finishing in the top 3!

Seabiscuit Mark Neumann Coyote Point Marina 295 Catalina 36 36.0 138.0
                Yes!!! Go VALIS! I suppose I've still got to make it over the finish line before the cutoff time though...

Comment

Originally posted by VALIS View Post
                  Yes!!! Go VALIS! I suppose I've still got to make it over the finish line before the cutoff time though...
                  There is that!
                  Pressure-drop.us ~It's not the size of the website, it's how you use it! ~

Comment

You folks might be interested (or not) in the page I've added to the VALIS website, where I show buoy reports between Bodega Bay and Monterey: http://www.sailvalis.com/Buoys.htm
                    These are just culled from the NOAA National Data Buoy Center website, but I put them together in a format that was more convenient for me. Click on "More Data" to see additional graphs from a particular buoy.

Comment

Pt Reyes to Pigeon Point

Fri...W winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. W swell 4 to 6 ft. Chance of showers.

LIGHT SOUTHERLY WINDS WILL CONTINUE TODAY OVER A LONG PERIOD SOUTHERLY SWELL. SOUTH WINDS WILL GRADUALLY INCREASE OVERNIGHT INTO TUESDAY AS THE NEXT LATE SEASON COLD FRONT MOVES THROUGH WITH PERIODS OF RAIN. AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WILL REMAIN NEARLY STATIONARY OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY WHICH WILL BRING THE CONTINUED CHANCE OF SHOWERS ALONG WITH MODERATE WIND AND SEAS.

************************************************** **************

Pigeon Pt to Pt Piños

Fri...W winds 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. NW swell 4 to 6 ft. Slight chance of showers.

LIGHT SOUTHERLY WINDS WILL CONTINUE TODAY OVER A LONG PERIOD SOUTHERLY SWELL. SOUTH WINDS WILL GRADUALLY INCREASE OVERNIGHT INTO TUESDAY AS THE NEXT LATE SEASON COLD FRONT MOVES THROUGH WITH PERIODS OF RAIN. AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WILL REMAIN NEARLY STATIONARY OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY WHICH WILL BRING THE CONTINUED CHANCE OF SHOWERS ALONG WITH MODERATE WIND AND SEAS

Comment

Suddenly entry list is looking more robust....

Category: DOUBLEHANDED
                        Yacht Skipper Home Port Sail Number Boat Type LOA (Length) Rating NGB
                        Pegasus Marc Sykes Marina Village 28390 J-35 35.0 75.0
                        Plus Sixteen Paul Disario Richmond, CA 97707 Olson 911 30.0 129.0
                        Galaxsea Daniel Willey San Francisco 28743 Nauticat 44 48.0 81.0
                        Trunk Monkey Jody McCormack SFYC USA 630 Farr 30 30.0 21.0
                        Recidivist Ken Olcott Palo Alto US-3510 Schumacher 39 Custom 39.8 15.0

Category: PHRO1
                        Flexi Flyer Mitchell Wells San Francisco 18282 Soverel 33-2 33.0 57.0
                        Bloom County Elliott James Jon Stewart Sausalito 18151 Custom Mancebo 31.0 57.0
                        Wife Not Happy Andrew Carleton San Francisco 280 J105 34.5 66.0
                        Scorpio John Siegel San Francisco US 28900 Custom Wylie 42 42.23 15.0
                        tiburon Steve Stroub belvedere 38042 santa cruz 37 37.0 0.0
                        Escapade Nicholas Sands Sausalito 38011 402 40.2 84.0
                        For Pete's Sake Peter Cook Alameda Marina 28469 Ultimate 24 24.38 78.0
                        Alpha Puppy Alex Farell San Francisco 35024 1D35 35.0 9.0
                        Sapphire David Rasmussen RYC 38008 Synergy 1000 33.0 15.0

Category: PHRO1A
                        Pegasus OP-50 Philippe Kahn Santa Cruz 101 Open 50 50.0 -144.0
                        Serena David Kuettel unk 28538 custom 38.0 -21.0
                        Criminal Mischief chip Megeath tiburon, CA usa2245 sloop 45.0 -123.0
                        AKELA Bill Turpin Santa Cruz, CA 69011 R/P 78 77.67 -174.0
                        Kokopelli 2 Lani Spund Santa Cruz 43717 Santa Cruz 52 52.0 -60.0
                        Double Trouble Andy Costello Pt Richmond USA 93204 J 125 41.0 -30.0
                        Deception William Helvestine San Francisco 97263 Santa Cruz 50 50.0 0.0
                        Ocelot Greg Nelsen Alameda, CA 28909 Fox 44 44.0 0.0

Category: PHRO2
                        Split Water David Britt Richmond Yacht Club 40 Beneteau First 10R 32.75 87.0
                        Irish Lady Mike Mahoney Alameda, CA 692 Catalina 42 42.0 72.0
                        Brainwaves Jim Brainard San Francisco 43533 J35C 35.0 96.0
                        Petard Andy Newell Berkeley CA 59284 Farr 36 Mod 36.0 102.0
                        Shaman Steve Waterloo Alameda 5166 Cal 40 39.4 102.0
                        Rhum Boogie Wayne Lamprey berkeley, CA 33007 Quest 33 33.0 0.0
                        Joyride James Vickers San Francisco USA 47 J109 35.0 66.0
                        Tiki Blue Gary Troxel Richmond Yacht Club 38423 423 41.67 102.0
                        Raven Mark and Anne Thomas San Francisco 50039 CM1200 39.3 15.0

Seabiscuit Mark Neumann Coyote Point Marina 295 Catalina 36 36.0 129.0
                        Ay Caliente! Aaron Kennedy Richmond YC 38747 36.7 Farr First 36.0 87.0

Comment

MODERATE SOUTH WINDS WILL PERSIST THROUGH THIS EVENING AS A COLD FRONT MOVES ACROSS THE DISTRICT. THE COLD FRONT WILL SPREAD RAIN OVER THE COASTAL WATERS AS WELL AS ALLOW NORTHWESTERLY SWELLS TO BUILD. UNSETTLED WEATHER WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MUCH OF THE WORK WEEK AS LOW PRESSURE REMAIN OVER THE REGION. THIS PATTERN WILL ALLOW FOR A CHANCE OF SHOWERS ALONG WITH MODERATE WIND AND SEAS TO PERSIST. HIGH PRESSURE WILL BEGIN TO BUILD BACK INTO THE REGION BY THE END OF THE WEEK AND INTO THE WEEKEND RESULTING IN A RETURN OF BRISK NORTHWESTERLY WINDS.
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Today...S winds 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. Mixed swell NW 4 to 6 ft at 12 seconds and S 3 ft at 15 seconds. Rain likely.

Tonight...S winds 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. Mixed swell NW 4 to 6 ft at 12 seconds and S 3 ft at 14 seconds. Showers likely.

Wed...SW winds 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. NW swell 5 to 7 ft at 11 seconds and S 3 ft at 14 seconds. Slight chance of showers.

Wed Night...S winds 5 to 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. NW swell 5 to 7 ft and S 3 ft. Chance of showers.

Thu...SE winds 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. Mixed swell NW 4 to 6 ft and S 3 ft. Chance of showers.

Fri...NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. Mixed swell NW 4 to 6 ft and S 3 ft. Slight chance of showers.

Sat...NW winds 10 to 20 kt. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. NW swell 5 to 7 ft.

Comment

Photoboy reports from the GG Bridge at 1145 PDT a delay in the start, possibly due to weak wind. About 60 boats milling around Knox start area, Akela with jib up most others not.

Strange to delay, the flood is right now about at its peak.

San Francisco Bay Entrance (outside), California Current
                            37.8105° N, 122.5022° W
                            Flood direction 65° true
                            Ebb direction 245° true

2010-05-28 01:26 PDT -0.00 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
                            2010-05-28 04:47 PDT -5.37 knots Max Ebb
                            2010-05-28 05:51 PDT Sunrise
                            2010-05-28 06:11 PDT Moonset
                            2010-05-28 08:47 PDT 0.01 knots Slack, Flood Begins
                            2010-05-28 11:54 PDT 4.18 knots Max Flood
                            2010-05-28 15:14 PDT -0.01 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
                            2010-05-28 17:26 PDT -2.25 knots Max Ebb

Comment

1200 PDT Friday.

Golden Gate Wind Speed is 7.0 kts @ 280 deg. This is probably up on the bridge, not at water level.

Pt. Blunt/Angel is 7.0 kts @ 360 degrees.

http://sfports.wr.usgs.gov/wind/Stations.shtml

Comment

Working...
                              X