Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whidbey Island Race Week 2011 / DWI - Dinghy's Whidbey Island July 17-23rd, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joygirl
    replied
    Monday's view from the beach...
    http://youtu.be/oSStirKfGi8

Leave a comment:

• Ballard Sailor
    replied
    After a Drizzly light practice sunday the Rum tent opened up to some rowdy sailors getting their groove back on from a year ago. Being one of the only true "Race Weeks" left in the country WIRW sports 6 nights of Rum tent festivities that truly takes diligence and planning to make it through the week. Quickly following the opening night band and event many of the sailors got together in the near by Tent City for an authentic PNW Crab boil. 42 fresh caught Dunginess crab, Spices, Potatoes, Corn & Sausage all cooked up on the propane burner with a huge crowd of hungry PNW sailor hovering close for the tasty treats.

Monday dawned Sunny and warm with winds out of the west at 10 knots out in Penn Cove for the 12 noon starting gun for the first of 12 classes. Quickly the winds died down to the 6 knot range and the #2's where put below, replaced quickly with the #1's as boats adjusted things looser.

A seemingly endless number of starts rolled off the line with many PHRF and One Design fleets in the fray. Melges 24's, J105's, J80's and the Santa Cruz 27's have the one design honors. It's great to see the old SC "Fast is Fun" boats out with fixed decks, new sails and happy crews for this week long event. Old boats getting a new life with this fun week long event. Not be left out, the oldest boat in the Melges 24 fleet took the day monday, #11 stuck it to the fleet with 3 bullets for the day, Amazing!

The Santa Cruz 27 fleet garnered 4 races for the day, with the rest finishing 3 longer races. At least 2 boats ran aground on the sandy north shore as the sailors learned the area - No protests, a few circles and a lot of rum was the name of the day. Tuesday looks to be fun, with 20+ knots forecast there are many in the fleet praying for the weather forecasters to be right, just this one time!

The full results are up on the Whidbey Island Race Week site - but after 4 computer crashes, 3 bottles of rum and a bleary eyed 1am completion I'm guessing there may be some corrections happening in the next day or so.....

Leave a comment:

• Ballard Sailor
    replied
    Watch which way the cows are standing.

Leave a comment:

• Jibeset
    replied
    Wind

Northerlies blow from the harbor to Blowers Bluff usually only. Then the westerly comes down Penn Cove.

Leave a comment:

• Ballard Sailor
    replied
    I don't think I've ever sailed there on a true northerly - I'm sure it's happened though.

Leave a comment:

• Silverbullet
    replied
    Question: if we end up sailing in Saratoga Passage, my (hazy) memory only recalls southerlies. Do we ever get northerlies, or am I (prematurely) hallucinating?
    I recall a pretty good write up from B.S. on likely conditions but can't seem to find it. Thx!

Leave a comment:

• Jibeset
    replied
    The unofficial Bacon-Off that I have no knowledge of but would like to be a judge on is Wednesday night. All should contact Chris W. for further details.... I can't and don't want the liability of what is cooked amongst friends in Tent City.

Leave a comment:

• Jibeset
    replied
    IMPORTANT NOTICE - NO BRIQUETTES AT TENT CITY.... ONLY PROPANE ALLOWED THIS YEAR. Navy has a change of command and this just came down as something we all have to comply with. Above ground fire pits are going to be ok again this year but you will have to get a permit from the Navy Fire Department. They will be available on site to issue these permits. Long conversations to try to get briquettes okayed but it is not going to happen this year.

Please pass the word to those that you know are coming to camp at tent city.

Thanks

Gary Stuntz aka jibeset

Leave a comment:

• snowgeek
    replied
    Class 2 makeup is a lot different than the last several years...
    Usually we get 5 or more 109s, but no Shada, Astral Plane, Illusionist, J-Tripper...
    We'll also miss Vitesse and Veloce from the First 36.7 fleet.
    It will be fun to race against The Moon, Corvo, and ?aTripp, though...!

Looking forward to an awesome week!

snowgeek (tantivy)

Leave a comment:

• Ballard Sailor
    replied
    Sounds good, you could always move Bodacious, Rain Drop and Mata Hari into Class 7 to help round out the classes and make Class 8 a more performance 30 type class...

Leave a comment:

• Jibeset
    replied
    Great write up Ben. P7 and P8 are going to stay as they stand and have there own classes.

Leave a comment:

• Ballard Sailor
    replied
    Very good question, Gary?

Leave a comment:

• Silverbullet
    replied
    Nice write-up! My prediction...chapped lips, swollen liver, meat-hooks for hands, lots of fun and laughs!
    When's the bacon-off happening?

Leave a comment:

• soling2003
    replied
    Looks like the weather could be decent too!
    We are going to try the blooper out one more time on Monday night

Leave a comment:

• Ballard Sailor
    replied
    Some Background and Picks to get things started!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X